Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • What Would You Do?
  • nosherduke996
    Free Member

My youngest son(31 years old) bought the wife an Ipad for Christmas. What he has done is that he has kept the new one for himself and given his old one to the Wife. Personally I think that it is taking the piss….what does everyone else think?

choppersquad
    Free Member

Of course he’s taking the piss but surely even a second hand ipad is better than no ipad?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Taking the pee a wee bit but there are no rules.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

It’s the principle of it all, she would have felt less hurt if he just gave a £100 voucher towards a new one!

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I’d get my are kicked if I’d tried that. I bought my wife an iPad last Christmas and then dropped a few hints about her old on .

sc-xc

It depends on what your normal christmas thing is with family.

We all spend only £40ish one each other (apart from kids), so if I didn’t have an ipad, and someone were to give me one…second hand or not I would be delighted.

If you normally spend £3/400 on each other…then yes, it’s a bit cheeky.

scotroutes

You’d feel better if he sold his 2nd hand Ipod for £100 then gave her the money?

Is your wife a bit precious?

chip
    Free Member

Did he buy himself a new iPad and give his old one to your wife as he new she would make good use of it.
    Or did he buy your wife a new iPad but greed got the better of him and thought better of it.

Did he tell your wife he would buy her one but instead gave her his old one.
    And did he give her his old one in the new ones packaging which would take the piss because open wrapping paper “new iPad” open box “oh, er thanks dear”.

postierich
    Free Member

Did he put it in the new box 🙂
    My kind of trick 🙂

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Yes,he used the new Box which is clearly for a White one. His old black one was inside with nothing else.

thehustler
    Free Member

bit of a muppet trick IMHO

breadcrumb

I don’t think I’d give someone second-hand goods as a gift, unless they were as new.

I wouldn’t fall out over it, I’d just do the same to him next Christmas..

Rorschach
    Free Member

Is he adopted or is being a douchebag hereditary?

gobuchul
    Free Member

He’s a miserable tight arse.

I would tell him so.

rene59
    Free Member

I think you’re over reacting, if the wife doesn’t like it she can sell it herself and put money towards a new one. If she was hurt by this and would only have been less hurt by receiving £100 voucher instead then she sounds like a special princess. Maybe your son was making a point.

Kuco

A complete arsehole thing to do. imo obviously thinks more of an iPad than his wife.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

You should always treat people as you would expect to get treated yourself. I still think that it is taking the piss and I wouldn,t dream of doing it to him.

Jamie
    Free Member

A complete arsehole thing to do. imo obviously thinks more of an iPad than his wife.

Isn’t it a present for his mum, the OP’s wife?

chakaping
    Free Member

Isn’t it a present for his mum, the OP’s wife?

My vote is on step-mum.

😉

takisawa2

I bought my 9yr old a S/H laptop for Xmas.
    Fear of it getting dropped etc, put me off buying a new one.
    He’s absolutely over the moon with it.
    Loves watching minecraft videos on it.
    He’s so proud of it. 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

My vote is on step-mum.

Ex-mum, given the rift it’s caused.

Kuco

oops yes sorry 😳 to me still avery low thing to do.

oldnpastit

That is quite outstandingly rude. He’s just saved himself the bother of having to sell it on ebay by dumping it on your wife. Nice.

badnewz
    Free Member

Its rodent-like underhand behavior. Are you going to confront him about it or just let off steam on here instead?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Well is she doesnt want the iPad I’ll have it.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I’d probably question why a man of what, 55-60 would be asking for parental advice/opinion off this bunch of handwringerz!

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Nice to see you living up to your username Monkeyfudger……sounds about right.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Do you need some advice on insults as well?

wolfenstein
    Free Member

It’s just an iPad.. C’mon its Christmas

Who say’s there are rules for gifts ? Got a peanut butter (the american kind thngy export) one of my xmas present, im over the moon simply because i like peanut butter 😀

psychobiker
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with secondhand, my wife got a 2nd hand iPhone 5s and my daughter got a 2nd hand electro acoustic guitar. Nothing wrong with being thrifty. Why didnt the op buy his wife an iPad if he was going to get that upset.

midlifecrashes

He’s given your wife an ipad and she or you is miffed about that? Funny old world.

enfht
    Free Member

I’d be more concerned with your son’s Apple addiction and how he’s peddling his filth to your Mrs.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Totally missing the point. That Ipod has cost my son nothing at all. He has bought himself a new one because he wants a new one.
    If the old one was that good then why ddn’t he want it?
    Ipod or not the Wife would have been more pleased with something that involved a little thought.

monkeychild
    Free Member

#firstworldproblems

Cougar

Eh, I’d have said “thanks for the iPad” myself.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I fear you may have over expecting levels of Christmas Gifts, any of my family would be over the moon with even a second hand ipad…….just proves how materialistic some folk are and how driven by possessions and costs of gifts some families are IMO.

badnewz
    Free Member

Why did he feel the need to pretend it was a new one (wrapping it in the new box).
    Fine, give someone a second hand one.
    But don’t a) buy a new one and keep it for yourself b) try to pass your hand-me-downs on as if they are new.
    Amazed people think this is ok behaviour!

grievoustim
    Free Member

Mis read the OP and thought the son had given a hand me down iPad to his own wife. That seems a bit tight if he’s keeping the new one for himself

But

A 2nd hand iPad as a gift to mum/ step mum. Seems pretty generous. Does the op know how much a new iPad costs?

nosherduke996
    Free Member

As above…..Exactly. Spot on!

demonracer

Maybe he thought his ungrateful parents would appreciate an ipad be it new or secondhand. He may have simply used the box to keep the gift safe. You can’t really say it ipad didn’t cost him anything as if could have cashed it in for at least £100 … If it’s an ipad 1 then ignore the above and give the boy a slap!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘What Would You Do?’ is closed to new replies.