Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • What work shirts?
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

the slim fit Lewins work for big non-fat blokes. I wear a 17.5 collar with 38 sleeves and they fit like they should. They are a revelation after the ‘normal’ cut now they make them in big sizes. I commend them to you

Not for me – still way too big in the body. 6′ 5″/<80kg/15.5″ collar.

Honestly – give the M&S made to measure a go. Not sure how they got to their algorithms (they work off remarkably little info) but the fit is spot on for me. If it isn’t the first time they’ll remake the shirt until it does and keep your measurements on file for future.

TooTall
    Free Member

simons – you are of a totally different shape to me then! I’m 6’7″, 240lbs, 17.5 collar and 48″ chest and 38″ sleeves – a little more of me.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’m 6’7″, 240lbs, 17.5 collar and 48″ chest and 38″ sleeves

And there, in two posts, we have the problem of generic clothing sizes clearly expressed.

flange
    Free Member

Sounds knobbish but I buy only Boss now, having bought most brands in the past. The problem I find with most shirts is that after they’ve been through the wash 5-6 times, they’ve shrunk to the point where the sleeves don’t fit me anymore. Boss ones never seem to do this, unlike other expensive ones such as Pink/Baker/Hackett. Lewins are up past my elbows in no time at all.

7 boss shirts last me a year and still look new, compared with the Thwaites which last maybe 3-4 months.

Boss suits however,are utter shite and to be avioded at all costs

TooTall
    Free Member

flange – do you boil your clothes then super-tumble them dry? I have shirts that are years old and well laundered and never had shrinkage issues.

flange
    Free Member

I think I’m on the limit of ‘regular’ for sleeve length TT (being from the Fens) so I maybe notice it more than some

molgrips
    Free Member

The problem I find with most shirts is that after they’ve been through the wash 5-6 times, they’ve shrunk to the point where the sleeves don’t fit me anymore

Are you boiling them every time or something?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I think I’m on the limit of ‘regular’ for sleeve length TT (being from the Fens) so I maybe notice it more than some

*Ponders joke about shallow gene pools………*

😉

CHB

Sorry to drag this thread up again. Just got a mailer from Charles Tyrwhitt…shirts £19.95 each.
    Are they good value and good quality?
    Normally get Ted Baker in the sale for £25-£30 each.

Anyone recommend the Tyrwhitt ones, and which shirts? How is the cut etc?

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/stuart

Frankers
    Free Member

I had problems with CT shirts cuffs fraying, I have now started using Lewin shirts and they seem good

I go from the slim fit versions

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

CHB – my son has mix of CT and TML non iron shirts for school. The CT look smarter and have lasted/washed better so far plus brass collar stiffeners are so much better. I might try some as they are <£20 and TML have become poorer quality over the 20 or so years I have been wearing them. Not surprising when they cost less now than they did in the 1980s in nominal terms! Thomas Pink have gone the other way!

Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘What work shirts?’ is closed to new replies.