Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • What work shirts?
  • miketually
    Free Member

I think most of mine are Animal or Quicksilver. There might be a Craghopper one too. And some others that I can’t remember. Oh, and a Tattersall check ‘St Michael’ shirt that was £4 from Age UK.

They all ‘go’ with jeans, so I never have to think about what to wear.

doc_blues
    Free Member

Mix of calvin klien, boden and viyella, oh and a bhs special in there (which is probably my favourite) – all bought in tk maxx or local dept store sale. tried a hammett one and it must have been made for a really skinny bloke with a thick neck

veedubba

I’d tend to agree with the positive comments on Tyrwhitt shirts, plus their customer service (IME) is very good especially after they replaced a shirt after a few weeks when it broke(?). I would also unfortunately have to agree with their enthusiastic correspondence too though. Having said that, I’ve just got a £10 voucher from them.

Lewin shirts are decent but their delivery time and service is awful.

If you can afford them, Emmett shirts are fantastic but at £90 a pop they’re pricey. They do have very good sales in their shops, but unless you’re in London that’s not very helpful.

M&S are always good though, especially if you need to pick something up in a hurry.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Emmett boxers are very good, too! 🙂

Would it be too much to say i’m currently….

I’ll stop there 🙂

Pieface

I used to swear by M&S shirts, however I’ve had a number wear through on the ends of the ‘bones’ of the collars in under a year.

will
    Free Member

TM Lewin Slim Fit and Next Slim Fit.

Really like the fit of Next shirts, quality and feel isn’t amazing, but they do fit well. TM Lewin are just great.

My last 4 Lewin shirts cost me in total £18. Got to love posh charity shops in London.

If I was you thats where I would be going!

webwonkmtber
    Free Member

I’m horrified and appalled that no-one has mentioned the joy that is Thomas Pink. Pricey, yes, but well worth it.

d45yth
    Free Member

Thomas Pink? Pricey? Nah. I prefer these Eton shirts…

Eton 80th anniversary dress shirt – over $45,000. Swedish shirt-making company Eton, celebrating their 80th birthday, created this shirt out of the finest Egyptian cotton. Of course, it couldn’t be the most expensive shirt in the world without a few diamonds. Both the studs and the cufflinks are encrusted with diamonds—white diamonds on the cufflinks and colored diamonds on the studs.

I have 6. One for each day, Monday-Friday and a spare in case I drop some lunch on myself. 😉

juan
    Free Member

Am I the only one that think TM Lewis cut is horrible…? The semi fitted one is tailed like a potato bag… Where the fouck is the ‘fitted’ in that.
    Rant over.

juan
    Free Member

One a more OP related note, I love marco serussi shirts.

aP
    Free Member

I just buy agnes b shirts. However, if you work somewhere that requires footballer style tie wearing they’re not for you.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

20 years ago Lewins were ok. Not brilliant, but ok… Since then they have cropped up everywhere, skimped on length and use crap cotton.

Hilditch & Key FTW

simon_g

If you do buy Tyhrwhitt you have to factor in their outstandingly tedious marketing emails/ mailshots which are relentless. I added them to my spam list within 2 weeks of buying a tie from them.

They are very quick and polite about taking you off their lists if you don’t want that though.

Most of mine now are CT. As said, the slim fit ones are good as long as you’re somewhere between racing snake and spherical, and not many people do that sort of cut in non-iron. I find anything except unpatterned white can be just hung up out of the washing machine and they dry crease-free. Great for travel too, roll them up, hang up in the hotel and they’re usually fine in the morning.

LenHankie

Tom Ford

mefty
    Free Member

I must admit to being confused, I bought my first Lewin shirt in 1983, I have not noticed a massive decline in quality, indeed some things have improved – stripes align across the collar these days or they do on mine. Although, I am not sure the buttons are mother of pearl anymore.

I have also owned approximately 30 Hilditch & Key shirts, I have to say their buttons were of worse quality (to old Lewin shirts) and they did not survive any longer. The cotton was a bit nicer but certainly not worth the price difference, so I reverted to Lewins.

TooTall
    Free Member

Lewins are the only OTP shirt that are long enough for my arms, so I like them.

juan – saying their fit is no good is like saying everyone should ride the same bike – we’re all different and all like different fits. Slim fit is their best selling shirt, so a lot of people must like it.

lodious
    Free Member

I bought 5 TM Lewin shirts about a year ago, and they are pretty poor, wouldn’t buy them again.

molgrips
    Free Member

I need better work shirts than Tesco. They are cut for fat office workers not well built athletic types 😉 so have tons of fabric around the sides which I hate.

Tyrwhitt don’t seem to have shop in Cardiff, nor does this Roderick fellow. Where does one get them?

myheadsashed

olymp luxor shirts

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Pink? Seriously?

They fell from grace even before Lewins. They were indeed superb, I remember buying a lovely one from their little shop in Bath. Now, they’re just overpriced high street rubbish, as with Lewins.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ben Sherman do some nice short-sleeved shirts. Handy if you perspire a bit in long sleeved jobbies.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Short sleeved shirts – Only acceptable for casual wear. Or if you are a bus driver.

😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Honestly though – where am I supposed to shop for this stuff? I’m not paying £50/shirt, £100/4 sounds ok though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Molly, £100 for 4 is a rip off, especially for Pink or Lewins. £19 a shirt in the sale at Roderick Charles. Check ’em out.

molgrips
    Free Member

Right. They only have shops in London.. That’s handy. Which of those is near Canary Wharf?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They do mail order too.

Near the Wharf? None, really. Depends what tube line you take to get out there. Jermyn St is a short stroll from Green Park (Jubilee Line), and is my preferred shop. They look after me for suits there.

molgrips
    Free Member

Tube line? I will be travelling au velo, bien sur.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

IME- all shirts wear out. Its great to have a special Pink / Jeagar shirt for interviews etc but day to day an M&S autograph shirt is hard to beat. Once it looks tired – its done. Buy another.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t care so much about the quality, more the cut.

TooTall
    Free Member

They look after me for suits there.

A shirt snob who buys off the peg suits?

eeewwwwww

*cocks ones snook at flashy*

Farmer_John
    Free Member

Tyrwhitt shirts can be had with 10% cashback on topcashback.co.uk

yetim
    Free Member

i’m with FuzzyWuzzy John Lewis last better and are easier to iron than lewin(apparently), the mrs says if i buy john lewis shirts she’ll do them, if i buy lewins i have to do them, hmmm let me think!

mcboo
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with Lewins if it’s just for getting ruined at work and you aint that bothered. Very cheap but as above, the fit is awful unless you are massively fat.

JonBurns
    Free Member

Does anyone happen to have a voucher for tyrwight they aren’t going to use. Usually go for Lewins but not much choice in my size at the mo’.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Thoroughly recommend M&S made-to-measure at the moment. c£50 a shirt but I can actually get something with the right length arm, a fitted body AND choose all the details.

I used to rate Pink and Lewin but only the very dull cuts and fabrics come in ape shape.

JonBurns
    Free Member

Ah Quidco free delivery + 10% cashback

footflaps

M&S shirts are very well made, and last well – also good VFM.

TooTall
    Free Member

mcboo & simons – the slim fit Lewins work for big non-fat blokes. I wear a 17.5 collar with 38 sleeves and they fit like they should. They are a revelation after the ‘normal’ cut now they make them in big sizes. I commend them to you.

molgrips
    Free Member

I should check out John Lewis again – I looked for a suit on Tuesday, almost didn’t go to JL as I thought they were too expensive but their bargain suit was £100 and is one of the nicest I’ve worn (ok so I’ve never had a suit worth more than £150 but still). I’m going back for some back-up trousers I think.

TooTall – I know what you mean – in cheapo shirts because I need a 16 inch collar I get about a 44 inch chest to go with that, which is too big.

ransos
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘What work shirts?’ is closed to new replies.