Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • what wheels…
  • mrmchammer
    Free Member

sorry to ask a “what wheels” question but i cant work out what to do so would like to ask the mass knowledge of STW for advice!

i’ve got a Lapierre 714 which is a lovely bike but it came with Shimano XT M775 wheels which are fine and that but are cup and cone and are starting to annoy me, so i think its time for a change. The front is QR15 so i was looking at some Roval wheels that are half price at the moment, the Controle SL. Now they look great, weight about 1.35 kg for a set which is nuts and are 300 quid at the moment, my worry is that they will be to XC orientated for me, i like to ride the downs more than the ups but would consider myself to be quite a light rider on the bike not off the bike, (i weight nearly 13 stone). Roval have the Traverse wheels (i think thats their name) and are about 1.55 kgs for a set which is also really good but look a bit bland for my liking. I know everyone will say Pro2 on stans or something, which i may have to go for but i just wondered if anyone had any other ideas, ideally id like the wheels to be black, red and white to go with the rest of the bike. Has anyone swapped their M775 wheels for anything else? id like them to be light too

mboy
    Free Member

I’ve got some of the Roval Traverse EL’s on my hardtail. Bought them cheap recently too. So far been very impressed, and they are still very very light.

Heard plenty of scare stories about how flexy they are, but I’m 12 stone and not particularly light or graceful in my riding style, and I can’t say I’ve noticed any flex.

Like you say though, most people will recommend Stans on Pro2’s. Nothing wrong with that at all, in fact they’d be easier to fix if anything ever broke as they’re all off the shelf components. Personally I can’t stand the noise of Hope Freehubs though, it drives me potty! The DT Swiss in the Roval’s is much much nicer…

RealMan
    Free Member

Never heard many good things about roval wheels, although I don’t think they’re terrible or anything. Worth a search on google or here.

Why is cup and cone annoying you? I really like shimano hubs, they’re so easy to service.

Hope pro II with a stans rim of your choice is a great wheel set.

jedi

i have been using mavic crossmax sx and sl’s 🙂

mrmchammer
    Free Member

yeah its the flexyness thats the worry i think as i do like to rag the corners and i think that would get on my nerves. hmmmm! american classics any good? ive seen their all mountain wheels for around 350 quid

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘what wheels…’ is closed to new replies.