Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • What was the last thing you bodged – must have actually worked?
  • smokey_jo

Boiler flue with sticky back foil.

Our old floor standing boiler’s flue is impossible to buy as a part new or 2nd hand and the bottom of the inner section had rotted away leaving a 3” gap for exhaust and intake to mix. Engineer wanted to condemn it.

2 hours bridging the gap with layers of sticky back foil and all is well again. £10 vs £2k for a new boiler 😎

martinhutch

Washing machine seal held on with a selection of zip ties. Seems fine.

thenorthwind

Lack of somewhere to put a water bottle in my car (Citroen Berlingo) has bugged me for the whole 2 years I’ve had it. Door pocket kinda works but not great.

Recently realised that there is a standard for holding a water bottle used the world over (AFAIK)… On bikes. Thus, found a suitable location and screwed a bottle cage on with a couple of self tappers. Job jobbed. Would have used rivnuts if I’d had any the right size – might replace if I can be arsed.

Pic will not upload the right way up whatever I do 🙄 Edit: now it magically has 🤷‍♂️

Ambrose

The pic is the right way up.

welshfarmer

The plastic wheels on my office chair broke off. Found some bearings same size and made em fit with selection of washers, a bolt and some tubing. Works perfectly

Cougar

See, now I’d want to do the other four to match.

Tracey

Hopefully this will see the holiday out. If not I’m sat on the grass

joshvegas
    Free Member

Thats a quality bodge. but removing the flex of the frame might be all thats needed to complete the destruction of the material 😀

How much duct tape have you got? get it on before it rips!

kiwijohn

Dropped my socket set & smashed the plastic insert.

ssss

Made a new one from foam floor mats & it’s better than the original.

joshvegas
    Free Member

^ not a bodge, get it shifted

mattsccm
    Free Member

“Mended” a very very light and fragile steel road frame that had a 259 degree crack around the seat tube just above the bottle bosses by fitting a 400mm seat post the drilling through a bottle bolt hole and running a tap through. Nice m5 bolt and jobs a good ‘un.
    Currently looking out the window at the tandem I am convertig to a cargo bike. Bit of wood as a stokers top tube and no saddle currently.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Converted a Campag Record rear mech to a very long arm version with two alloy plates. In the days when MTBs were still U braked and Record was just old.

temudgin

After 12 years of neglect, my favourite garden chair was showing signs that it would soon become firewood.
    Bodged back into service using a bit of metal band and loads of screws…. Good for another decade I think!

bigdean

Isn’t a badge that actually works reclassified as “suitable repair”?

captmorgan
    Free Member

Fridge door hinge bush, the original is made of plastic & disintegrated. Now the door won’t shut properly & beer isn’t staying cold.

Bodge was a silicone sealant nozzle trimmed to fit the door socket.

Not a true bodge as I brought a couple of new bushes to replace it.

petefromearth

This week my 20 year old track pump received some love. It was only cheap but has outlived several others and I’m kinda attached to it so didn’t want to chuck it out.

First up, i always knew the gauge was way off. Turns out it’s been out by 30psi! I tried taking the gauge apart to fix it but decided the best solution was to just to draw a new scale on a bit of card with felt tip pen, calibrated using the never-fail squeeze technique.

Also the original base got smashed during a fit of rage a while back, which made me sad looking at it, so I made a new one of of a lump of maple. Took a fair amount of hacking and drilling and I kinda like it, heavy and stable, though perhaps not a true bodge because I did put in some effort!

Other than that I gave the pump a good strip down and clean, ready for another 20 years of stickers.

Grrr stupid photos!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

This is really a clean and refresh of a previous bodge when we ran out of table space at a BBQ. Really useful for cutlery, condiments and napkins etc. so given the weather and time of year I thought I would share.

Build Guide
    1) Find a plank
    2) Drill a hole in each corner big enough for a bottle neck
    3) Drink 4 bottles of wine
    4) Rest the plank on the wine bottles
    5) Sleep it off

mahowlett
    Free Member

Surely nothing that involves drinking 4 bottles of wine can ever be classed as a bodge?

fasthaggis

Maple — heavy and stable 🙂
    Good repair sir

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Surely nothing that involves drinking 4 bottles of wine can ever be classed as a bodge?

Look at the bottle on the top left of the table. It is a different vintage. That was the bodge, sorry, I should have been more specific

drlex
    Free Member

Sewerage smell in the back garden traced to an old foul water drain cover without a double seal. Stretching an old inner tube in the frame channel has pretty much cured the issue. Low cost, low effort solution and now back to watching the ODI.

sirromj

Kitchen broom handle made of paper thin shiny metal was kinked by the kids a while back and it finally gave way the other day. I cut the ragged new ends off the two halves and found a plastic pipe which happened to be exactly the same size so wouldn’t fit. Hacksaw blade to cut down the length of the pipe and a file run up and down within the cut was just enough to create a snug fit for the pipe within the broom handle to join the two halves. #timesarehard

revs1972
    Free Member

Just bought a Festool* 18v battery back from the dead by “jump starting “ it off another.
    Connect up the + and – with a bit of old twin and earth stripped down to 2 separate wires.
    Little spark from the + terminal and it’s ready to charge up.
    Make sure it’s done in the open ….just in case

* other brands available

WillH

The mini spray arm at the top of our dishwasher kept falling off. The ~10mm vertical tube it was attached to used to have a wee flange at the end which appears to have worn away over the last ten years, to the point the arm wouldn’t stay on at all.

New part took all my google-fu to find and would be $110 posted…

Five minutes with my Leatherman and an old wire coathanger, and I present to you:

matt_outandabout

^ well played.

slowol

Nice dishwasher bodge^^^

Very smart Jane pushchair given to one of the local Ukrainians. Great save for the bars that engage with the rear wheels for a parking brake were held on with thin plastic that had got old and broken. Fixed with scrap bits of aluminum, araldite and a roofing bolt*.
    One side done 4 months ago and still working. Other side now fixed too.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2nTyrZJ]IMG_20221017_194157033[/url]
    *Roofing bolts also used to replace those missing from the cot donated for the same Ukrainian bairn.

temudgin

Dishwasher cutlery basket had developed a hole that meant cutlery would occasionally fall through and stop the rotor from spinning.

After a few minutes and several cable ties later…

👍

Ambrose

I had exactly the same problem but chose to use copper wire. It never crossed my mind to use zipties. So simple! 😊

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.