Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What tyres – mudguard clearance for 42mm SKS Bluemels?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Currently running Nano 2.1s on 29er

Have a pair of 700c 42mm SKS Bluemels guards

Can I squeeze something suitable in there that will also allow occasional offroad excursions preferably without muddy death? The literature for the guards says 25-35c for the 42mm width.

slowster
    Free Member

I’ve recently fitted some Vittoria Hyper 32mm tyres to a touring bike which has SKS P35 mudguards, which are supposed to be for tyres up to 28mm width. To provide enough clearance for the tyres to fit, I had to raise the mudguard at the fork crown (the bracket has a slot rather than a round hole to allow this) and push the mudguard close to the limit of the available length of the stays (if you have not cut the stays down too much already, this might not be a problem).

There is now a degree of toe overlap, but it’s not been a problem for me (as usual with toe overlap, strike is only likely with very slow speed manoeuvres – that may be a bigger issue for you on a 29er riding off road than for me on a tourer riding on road and gravel tracks). The sides of the tyre are just visible when seated on the bike, so I expect that in heavy rain and on wet roads the mudguard will not stop water being flung from the sides of the tyre when riding at speed/downhill.

Based on my experience, I would say that it is likely that it is the distance across the stay brackets (and the extent to which you can push them to the limit of the stays to get them further from the tyre) that will determine the maximum tyre width you can get away with.

There is good clearance otherwise between the centre of the tyre and the mudguard, so I am not concerned about mud etc. on the main central tread causing the wheel to lock up. That said, the Hypers are smooth road tyres, not knobblies, and I’ve no intention of riding that bike off road in muddy conditions, even with the reassurance factor that the SKS Secuclips provide.

In other words, it’s not just a question of tyre width vs. mudguard width: the amount of clearance your frame and the mudguard stay lengths will allow is also key, as is the type of tyre.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve run tyre widths pretty much up to the full width of the mudguard and they still seem to work

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Get the 65mm bluemels? not sure how much mud they could cope with, but probably more than a 2.1 Nano can.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ Good point. Was thinking about trying speccing some 35c (or even 38c? ) knobblies but it may be better to just sell the 42mm guards I have and go bigger, save money on tyres in the short term (stick with Nanos)

That way (65mm guards) ensures that in future there will be clearance to fit some >2″ mud tyres?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

ton

schwalbe mondials are good.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Anyone put 40c Mondials under 42mm Bluemels? Haven’t fitted the guards yet so it’d be a gamble…

reformedfatty
    Free Member

My commuter is running 35mm schwalbe snow stud tyres under 42mm Blumels and it’s sufficiently close that I wouldn’t run anything bigger for actual mtbing where mud is involved

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What tyres – mudguard clearance for 42mm SKS Bluemels?’ is closed to new replies.