Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What speed on a road bike?
  • oxym0r0n

Just trying to put together a display for the Tour of Britain at school and putting together a few stats…

Does anyone know:
    – The total climbing for the tour?
    – What a max realistic speed someone might get on a road bike?
    – A rough average speed for road riding?
    – How many calories someone might burn on an average day on the tour?

Many thanks in advance to the collective STW knowledge…

charlierevell
    Free Member

Well I can get up to 52 going down crowcombe on the road bike and you've seen my mtb skills, im not the fittest out there!

0091paddy
    Free Member

Sprint finishes – 40mph/45mph +

Average speeds usually around 25mph +/-

aracer
    Free Member

Max sustained speed on the flat? Max flat out in a sprint? Max going down a hill?

mudshark
    Free Member

As this is for educational purposes I think you need referenced information rather than a few random opinions….

sockpuppet
    colnagokid

The official site (sorry dont have links) will Im sure give you metres climbed, and wiil defo give you average speed i.e. times to certain points on the route. They may have some info packs etc available?

finners

balls, im slower than i thought…. 😯

nickc

No idea about the total climbing, but there are profile maps on the Tour of Britain website. You could roughly estimate from them.

On the tour max speeds will be up in the 80kph range, and stages will be at 35-45kph average, rider will burn something like 8,000Kcals a day I'd have thought.

oxym0r0n

Thanks all (lol @ Charlie)
    There is a downloadable info pack and I have had a good explore on the website but not much info of height climbed other than the profiles which could take a while…

Total distance is 1201km

We are not talking a super accurate here folks ~ this is for a display in a primary school to whet children's appetites with some outrageous facts.

40kmph seems a good average from what I have read too

Thinking of something like:

* 8 days
    * 166 riders
    * 17 teams
    * 96,00 Euro prize money
    * 1201km
    * average speeds of 40 kmph
    * max speeds of…
    * around 8000 Kilocalories burned per day

etc.

crikey
    Free Member

Tell them the riders go as fast as a car!

Job done, staff room for a fag.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Why not take them on a field trip to see a sprint finish? Maybe push one of the kiddies that you don't like out into the peleton to give him a real taste of the speed they go? 😉

Oh, fastest I've had was 55mph down a local 25% hill. I think I could break 60 if I sprint into it, but I've given myself the fear. Tarmac interface at that speed in two bits of lycra may sting a bit.

fadda

I thought I did well yesterday afternoon @ 50.8mph…

wors

cancellara hit 100 kph in this years tdf

crazy-legs

You can download the actual race manual from here:
    http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/_ns_news/?news_id=55

It doesn't list the amount of climbing but does give all the distances and expected times of arrival, you can work the average speed out from that but 25mph is a good guideline.
    As mentioned, see if you can tget to a race finish somewhere, there's the event village with freebies etc and it's a good atmosphere.

oxym0r0n

I have the actual race manual…

Can't get to the finish unfortunately but we will be along the route to cheer on the riders ~ the perks of being a teacher eh 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What speed on a road bike?’ is closed to new replies.