Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • What small SUV?
  • epicsteve
    Free Member

But you wouldn’t expect a small SUV to have a massive boot would you?

It might be a small SUV but it’s not a small car. With the seats up the CX-3 has about the same boot space as my wife’s SLK and a lot less than my sons Honda Jazz. For me it heavily compromises the practicality of small SUV’s – which is why I ended up getting a bigger one myself.

annebr
    Free Member

You can get the Nissan Juke as a 4×4

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

You can get the Nissan Juke as a 4×4

And the Qashqai. Surprisingly good off-road but drives like an estate car on the road. Much bigger than a Juke inside.

scotroutes

Qashqai =/= small SUV

mrhoppy

Yeti isn’t big but is really versatile with the ability to remove the rear seats individually. Can easily get 2 adult and 1 kiddy bikes inside with 3 seats up and all the kit.

Getting mid 50s-60 mpg on a road runs from the lower powered 2l diesel. Its good.

seb
    Free Member

What about the new Honda HR-V?
    It is between a Juke and a Qashqai.
    I saw it in Japan 18 month ago and really liked it.
    It is now out in the UK with the 1.6l diesel.

MrOvershoot

amedias – Member

Still mostly battered old french hatchbacks down here.

Do you live in Devon ?

chestrockwell

GMC K- 2500 Wideside ?

Is the right answer.

I’ve had a 2014 Kuga from new. It’s great and does everything I need it too very easily. Takes the effort out of lugging toddlers and dogs about. Comfy too. Might be based on the Focus but is quite a bit bigger in reality. I had a 2012 Focus before the Kuga.

Father in Law bought a Q3 a few months back. Likes it very much and was able to negotiate a decent discount.

timwillows
    Free Member

X1, Evoke?

CountZero

How small?

Ford do the EcoSport which is based on a Fiesta (IIRC), or the Kuga which is based on the Focus.

Loads of other manufacturers do Yeti sized 4x4s. Not so many do something smaller.
    The Kuga is pretty big, for a smaller SUV the Jimni or the Panda 4×4 are about the smallest, and are regarded as pretty good for rough stuff, the Tiguan and the new Seat are probably the ‘smallest’ of the ‘proper’ SUV’s, for want of a better term! 😀
    There are lots of Jimnis around South Devon, lots of very narrow, steep lanes, and even the A-roads are narrow.
    Spending many hours on the roads* all over the country, the Kuga, Qashqa, Tiguan, Q3 and particularly the Mokka are around in really large numbers, with the Juke, CR-V, and assorted Hyundai and Kia around in fair numbers as well.
    Don’t see quite as many Yetis, but there are quite a few about.
    I’ve not been impressed with the petrol versions of any of the SUV’s I’ve driven, really gutless, with high fuel consumption because you’ve got to work the engine fairly hard; I drove the inflated Fiat 500L earlier this week, 1.4 petrol, and it was horrid, wallowing, woefully slow, having to drop down to 4th or even 3rd on even a moderate slope on the M5, (6-speed box).
    I actually enjoyed driving the Kuga and the Mokka, the Qashqai isn’t bad either, the Juke is fun, with the diesel at least, and the Kuga is best with the bigger diesels, the 160 and 180ps versions. Have to say, the Kuga, like too many cars now, is really over-complex in the dash area, and I wouldn’t buy one.
    I’ve said it before, if I was buying an SUV, and I do like the higher seating position when driving, I’d go for the Mokka 1.7 CDTi, with a manual box, although I’d go for manual on any of them, auto boxes are just too slow on the shifts with the size of car and engine.
    Most disappointing was the Merc ML250 I had earlier this week, the ride was really unpleasant, the whole car just felt too soft, and sort of ‘choppy’; goes to show money doesn’t always get you the best performance, Chelsea Tractor is possibly the correct term for one.
    Driving cars for a living is proving very educational, I’m no SmurfMat, but I’m certainly finding which cars I feel really comfortable driving, and not just because of the seats, either. Great job, really enjoying it.
    Loads and loads I’ve not had chance to drive yet, missed out on a Disco 3 the other day, sadly, always wanted to find out what they’re like to drive, and I’ve not been given a Q3 or a Q5 yet.
    Ignore Top Gear reviews and the like, I really don’t think they give a proper idea of what it’s like to drive a particular car on a day-to-day basis, where you find out the little flaws during a 200-mile drive on mixed roads, in heavy traffic and mixed weather, and how easy it is to manoeuvre a car around in tight parking spaces, and squeezing past other large vehicles on narrow lanes.
    *5000 miles over the last three weeks, and that’s just the miles I’m being transported, possibly about half that that I’ve actually driven myself.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I have a 2nd hand Mk I Kuga. Nothing complicated about the dash on this one, although it is a bit ‘meh’. Rest of the car is great. Boot is allegedly not that big for a car of its size, but if I use the rear seats I can get a 6 piece drum kit with two big bags of stands; a Marshall 4×12 cab & head; several guitars and a bag full of cymbals in the back, plus one passenger in the front.
    Not that long – Mondeo & new Mustang are longer. It’s as tall as I am, (5’8″) nearly 7ft wide across the mirrors; 4wd when needed, front wheel drive when not, does 43mpg (not bad when ‘official’ combined is 47.9) and doesn’t roll too badly through the corners.
    Tyres are expensive though on the 19in wheels mine came with

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Stop fannying around and get a Berlingo Dangel. I don’t have one.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Fiat Panda 4×4. Much better off road than it is on road!

gregsd
    Free Member

Dacia Duster

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Fiat 500X

parkesie
    Free Member

I have a yeti great car but I still harbour a like of the berlingo.

Markie
    Free Member

I really like my Yeti. 60mpg+ on long runs, can take 4 hay bales without taking the seats out, 5* NCAP. Ace.

That said, my wife had a Porsche Macan for a while and it was absolutely lovely!

gingefella
    Free Member

If i had the money,Skoda Yeti..I dont, so, 03 Hyundai sante fe diesel turbo for 800 folding green it is..Have to say im pleasantly surprised.Loads of room,capable off road,snow and shite. Cant ask for more from it really,well,different badge maybe 8)

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

I like my Evoque.

Did almost buy a Qashqai, good motors and plenty of fun tech. CX5 was nice too when I test drove a couple of times, had a more sporty feel too it than any other SUV I tested.

I always thought about going bigger but recently had a Discovery as a courtesy car whilst mine was in for some routine work. I decided after that I didn’t want or need a bigger car.

mrchrispy

wish I got 60mpg out of my yeti, ours is the (new) 1.4 petrol so lucky to see 40mpg. the plus side is it doesnt take a week for the warm air to heat up on a cold winters morning (like our old TDi Yeti). Ace motor

parkesie
    Free Member

I get between 40 and 45 mpg from the 1.2 petrol depending on conditions. Being abit of a box a stiff breeze can have quite an effect. Pluss side it’s quiet dosnt stink and I no longer need to use diesel.

rone

Web got both a 1.4 man and 1.2 DSG yetis. The 1.2 is way more frugal (40+) and the 1.4 (mid 30s) is a pig. Doesn’t feel much more powerful either.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Bobtail land rover discovery.
    Quite small
    4×4
    Commanding position

seadog101

Subaru XV. Not been mentioned yet, it seems.

Love mine, brilliant to drive without being a silly sporty version, enough space, all the gadgets. The CVT auto is great. Some reviews say it is overpriced, compared to its rivals. Take one for a drive and youll see why it costs more, just feels like you are driving something a bit better than the others.

No, it isnt economical… thats the only downside IMO. You can squeeze 50mpg out of it on a gentle A and B road drive, and abiut 42mpg on the motorway. Maybe the fulltime 4wd is the kicker for that, and being 2.0ltr petrol.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I had a drive of my sisters Dacia Duster at the weekend. Hers is the 4×4 diesel model and I was pleasantly surprised by it. Equipment level seemed good, reasonably ok to drive and boot space is also ok (better than the CX-3 for sure) as well.

Personally I’d probably got for a 2nd hand Yeti over a new Duster though.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘What small SUV?’ is closed to new replies.