Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • what should I upgrade next?
  • stonster
    Free Member

Yes, I know it’s been done, but I still want to know the answer. I’m keen upgrade some components on my bike… but would I get most bangs per buck from
    – forks (presently suntour xcp 75)
    – Crankset (presently sugino, old)
    – Shifters (presently deore)

I’m tempted for fork because although it’s most expensive I think I will notice most benefit. What should I do? (I was almost too embarrassed to put the present specs on!)

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Do you already have SPD style pedals? If not they’d be my first upgrade before any of those other items.

seavers
    Free Member

What kind of riding do you do?

stonster
    Free Member

definitely got SPD pedals. I do cross country riding so lightweight is good. The forks I have work ok but are very very heavy!

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Do the shifters and cranks work ok or are they knackered
    If they are ok definitely do the forks. It will save weight and improve performance

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

are you looking to buy new or second hand?

if you looking to buy new, then save your self some cash and buy 2nd hand, for the price of new forks i would imagine you could buy/upgrade all 3.

(deore shifters are fine IMHO)

seavers
    Free Member

I would second the don’t replace unless it’s **** thing as other posters have said. If I upgrade I take into account the resale value of the parts I want to replace.

Forks might be your best bet. New crankset prob won’t feel that much different, unless they have play. If you changed your shifters/ rear cassette/ front and rear derailleur you would feel a big difference in shifting.

But yeah forks would be worth looking into. Not cheap though and sticking light forks on a heavy bike (is it heavy, relatively speaking?) may not make much difference in weight wise but would defo give you a smoother ride up front.

I would check out the classifieds on here, for the price of some nice new forks you might be able to get a decent set of forks plus other bits you are looking at changing. Edit…sorry has already been mentioned but worth looking at.

The other option is looking for a nice second hand bike and sell this one?

simonlovell999
    Free Member

I say forks, if buying 2nd hand. Marzocchi can be found cheap like mx comps/pros, from 2000 to 2006. A pair can be found for around the £50 mark. If looking at crankset then you would have to change the bottom bracket, shimano deore ht2 crankset and external bb for around £50-£60 on merlin. Depends on what bike it is and how your budget is

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘what should I upgrade next?’ is closed to new replies.