Home Forums Bike Forum What paintstripper makes mincemeat of powdercoating.

• This topic has 9 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by mmac.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What paintstripper makes mincemeat of powdercoating.
  • kaiser
    Free Member

Need to remove some powdercoat from inside the BB and head tube areas and would like to soften it up before using a pick /brush /scraper .IIRC most hardware shop paintstrippers are crap these days due to H+S.Anyone in the know recommend a decent product for this and perhaps future jobs which does the job like in the

old days where any coating would virtually fall off in a few minutes. Thanks.

kaiser
    Free Member

Seems like dichloromethane(methylene chloride ) is the dogs but requires care. Perhaps acetone might soften enough but more safely?

epicyclo

Oven cleaner?

scruffywelder
    Free Member

Try nail varnish remover. Works on most of the powder coating I’ve run across

kaiser
    Free Member

Doubt oven cleaner would work .mail polish remover is acetone based afaik..maybe worth a try though.

jonba
    Free Member

I’d be amazed if you could get DCM in any sort of retail product these days. Acetone tends to evaporate too fast so doesn’t really weaken the coating. Nitromors still works reasonably well.

If you are just chasing threads a new stanley blade has worked for me in the past. No need to soften. If you have an edge then you can pick the coating off quite easily.

kaiser
    Free Member

I’ll give it a go with a pick and brass brush in a dremel to start with . Loads of DCM on ebay at £11 a litre. For the bb some say an old cup with flutes cut in works well to chase the threads .

mickmcd
    Free Member

Aircraft paint stripper we buy it in 25 gallon drums

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>You will need a stainless tank and a lid</span>

Will demolish PC in around 2 hours without you ever lifting a scraper.

Its what i use here before i repowdercoat frames

Bear in mind there are different ones will didg the code off the barrel if i remeber tomorrow

kaiser
    Free Member

well I sorted it all yesterday ..actually thought I’d try without any product and found a  small wire brush on a drill sorted it out without it seems damaging any threads etc .I initially thought the brush was brass as it was that goldish  colour and was wary of using steel  but it appears it was a steel brush after all . I guess if the frame was aluminium it would be a no no. Also cleaned up the numerous frame braze on rack/fork mounts found on my Pugsley with a dremel grinding stone  on the outside and ran a tap through them all . Quite a bit of work tbh ..at least a couple of hours grind!I think if I do it again I’d prefer to mask it all myself but it’s difficult when the frame has to be blasted first etc.

mmac
    Free Member

Too late for the OP, but I’ve stripped a powder coated frame using an aerosol can of gasket remover. It didn’t need much scraping either.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What paintstripper makes mincemeat of powdercoating.’ is closed to new replies.