Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • What long travel'ish full sus 29er?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

After being bitten by the 29er bug on my Spearfish, I’m after a long travel (140mm front’ish), 29er.

I’m thinking frame only, as I have a groupset of decent kit, and some wheels.

I’ve really only got as far as:

– Orange Five29
    – Salsa Horsethief
    – Giant Trance 29 (I know 120mm front, but 150mm rear)

Cheers

Ricks

Northwind

This thread should help I think:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/so-what-are-the-big-honkin-29ers-then

I ended up not actually buying a 29er, mostly because I couldn’t find one I liked when I was shopping, and because I got a good option to stay with 26. But you’ve got to be looking at the Codeine. (personally, I wouldn’t be in the pre-order mind, it’s On One, wait til it’s been tested in case they’ve decided to give it a 31.7 seat tube or something)

Horsethief is a silly bargain, Five 29… isn’t. If you’re buying new Freeborn have some Covert 29s at £900.

rickon
    Free Member

Good call with the Covert, they’re bloody short in ETT and reach.

Pre-order of the Codeine too – it worries me, chances are it’ll be delayed by a few months, and I have no idea how it rides at all. Not a scooby.

Northwind

Covert 29 sizing just seems wrong, I had a wee chat with Lars about it and it was straight to the point, get a large. I’m 5’10, basically an IS medium, I’ve never had a large bike in my life.

rickon
    Free Member

Totally, the ETT and reach are shorter in a large than most mediums. Although the figures stack up for me, simile to my large 5spot, and the large mojo I had.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Tallboy LT frame only?

Northwind

The reach on the Covert is pretty typical tbh (once you size up)- longer than a Codeine, pretty much the same as a Satori, WFO, Spectral or Remedy, fair bit shorter than a Horsethief or Enduro though.

Why yes I do have a spreadsheet!

larrythelathe
    Free Member

I love my T129s it’s a great all rounder.

brant
    Free Member

Pre-order of the Codeine too – it worries me, chances are it’ll be delayed by a few months, and I have no idea how it rides at all. Not a scooby.

Half the 18s are made. 20s and 16s done next week.

larrythelathe
    Free Member

brant, you going to have any demos down south?

brant
    Free Member

larrythelathe – Member
    brant, you going to have any demos down south?
    POSTED 10 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

I will have to check with our events manager Paul.

I’m thinking we probably need to.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Five29 is a good shout. Need to sort myself a ride on one although weight, lack of 2×10 compatibility and reports of flexy back ends put me off slightly.

Stumpy Evo 29 should be on the list. Demo’d one and was suitably impressed. Got it again soon for a longer period.

SB95?

darkcyan
    Free Member

brant, don’t forget your passport;-)

nb how does it pedal, would like a similar bike but maybe 120 up front. dont need 140 mm in Brighton. Looks epic though.

Northwind

@Kingofbiscuits, get a ride- yep the rear end is a bit flexy, it’s an Orange but it feels like a feature more than a bug. Some folks like stiff but it’s not outright better, a softer rear end can track and react and it’s not often you really care to the millimetre where it goes.

frood
    Free Member

brant
    Half the 18s are made. 20s and 16s done next week.

Re email conversation: Will I be able to try sizing before my order for the 20″ arrives up here in Scotland then?

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Try a stumpy evo if you get the chance.

JCL
    Free Member

SJ 29 Evo is the bike at that travel.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Rocky mountain instinct bc edition? http://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/instinct-bc-edition/2014

130mm I think but what’s 10mm between friends. Adjustable geometry and a good build.

Other one that springs to mind would be the Tallboy lt.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Yep, @Northwind, I’ll be trying out a Five29. I’ve owned a Five (back in ’07) for a few years and they’re a good, honest bike. Would be interested to know what the big wheeled version rides like.

Like I said, I’ve only tried the Stumpy Carbon Evo 29 so far. Great bike. Liked it. But need to try more as a comparison.

I suppose I’m looking for the best bits of my current two bikes, ASR5c and Solaris.

Hoping to swing a leg over a SB95c soon, which seems the logical path, and I’ve re-booked the Stumpy as well as the Enduro. Although the latter might be too much bike to be honest.

br
    Free Member

I’m 5’10, basically an IS medium, I’ve never had a large bike in my life.

That’s basically like my Misses buying clothes/shoes…, buy what fits not what it says on the label.

Pete-B
    Free Member

As already advised: do try a Stumpy Evo.
    Love mine!

Alex

Mate of mine tested this evo at Cannock last month. He’s had the old 26inch Enduro before, and absolutely loved this.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/m5bvFp]Test[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Might be a bit too much travel. Think it’s 150 or 160mm but very light and a hoot to ride. That carbon one was big bucks tho.

Or in typical STW style, recommend what you ride..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/kWzymB]The 'Dry Line' Ride[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Although Northwind hates the elongated seat tube.

Northwind

I do! Jesus, I hope people don’t pay much attention to what I say… But yeah, I like everything else about that Pyga.

rickon
    Free Member

Who sells Pyga?

Northwind

For whatever it’s worth, I am quite in love with the Remedy 29 now! Would want to test it on some harder terrain before buying but it was ridiculously good on the demo loop at glentress today.

devbrix
    Free Member

Custom build Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc. It might suit you sir

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Mate of mine’s just got an S-Works Enduro 29er – had a crack on it today at Swinley and it’s a proper weapon, so so fast. Never felt like it had too much travel either. Sizing of the Large was spot-on for me at 6′ with a 35mm stem.

monkeyninja
    Free Member

Banshee phantom…..

Northwind

Phantom is a) short travel and b) not available to buy, they don’t seem to have finalised the design yet. Does look like it should be ace though.

z1ppy

Banshee phantom is finalised and due June, but as above 110mm rear end, 120mm up front doesn’t qualify it for this thread.

Alex

Rickon – Pyga is imported by r53sports. Few bike shops selling them including Drover Cycles in Hay on Wye.

monkeyninja
    Free Member

Like all banshee’s it will ride with the feel of endless travel so I’d say it does qualify..if I was looking for a 29er this would be it

monkeyninja
    Free Member
    z1ppy

I don’t disagree it looks great & no doubt more bike than I’d ever need but if your looking at long travel in the Banshee range, it the Prime that come to mind

Banshee Phantom:

monkeyninja
    Free Member

I agree totally long travel banshee= prime. I just can’t get over how good this bike looks and if it rides like the way its supposed to, I might have to make the switch to a 29er.

smogmonster

Cube Stereo.

tomaso
    Free Member

Enduro 29er seems to be what I’d go for. Or a Horsethief as I am quite smitten with the looks

fadda

smogmonster has it, for me.

Speaking in the usual tradition of “recommend what you own”, but I love this bike, and it compares so well with my mates Tallboy LTc, considering it costs not much more than half, in standard form…

sprocker
    Free Member

I am about to order a nicolai helius tr , 130 front and 120 rear. Worth a look

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘What long travel'ish full sus 29er?’ is closed to new replies.