• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • on one ti 456.how do you find them?
  • racefaceec90

i am planning on upgrading my current bike (skinny duster) as funds allow (will be a long time 😉 finishing with the frame.i was thinking of a soul,but am now thinking along the lines of the on one ti 456 also (seeing the prices of them has made me think hmmm 😉

how do you find them,and if you have ridden a soul/owned both what were the differences between them?

it’s good to dream anyhoo 🙂

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Not with a magnet that’s for sure.
    Igmc

racefaceec90

😆

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Loved my 456ti (Lynskey brake brace version)

Long top tube though.

Wish I’d got an 18″ rather than a 20″

Had no problem keeping up with and overtaking very capable riders on Orange 5’s etc.

Sublime.

alcolepone
    Free Member

awesome frame, great for a all day rider

Picto
    Free Member

Loved my mk1 non braced ti456. Was a real do it all bike. Did a few mtb marathons on it, including the Dyfi. Even finished the Enduro 6 just inside the first 20 riding it. Very capable frame.
    In saying that since being bitten by the 29er bug it has barely been ridden.

brassneck

Have an original Lynskey Ti456, bought off here to go for a more modern geo than my 2001 Superlight 🙂 – the slackness and low weight means I actually go faster on it than my old bike.

It’s a great bike, decently comfy but fast as hell. Quick up as well as down (on 120mm Rebas at the mo, but have just got some Rc41 150mm to try out on it too, just because). Bought it mainly because I wanted a Ti bike, and because it was reviewed as ‘best hardtail evva’ so figured there must be something too it.

Similar to Picto though, I think I’ll be passing it on this year to go to a 29er, maybe a Whyte 29C. To be honest the frame needs a bit more gnarr on a day to day basis than North Hants/South Berks/East Wilts can supply, I’m very much over biked (even more so with the new forks!) – but I do appreciate it at trail centers and rocky natural stuff like Dartmoor/Exmoor. Never felt like I needed a full suss again (though I’m not ruling them out either).

brassneck

Just read that again OP. My other bike is a skinny Duster 🙂 carbon forked do it all bike. I actually rode that over the superlight for most of the year before last, it’s a cracking bike, and more or less perfect for my local riding. Just could do with being a little lighter .. but then it’s always got the Deore bits / old wheels on it.

A Ti version of that would be perfect, but I don’t think the Cooker is quite so whippy and flexy which is exactly the characteristic I like about it.

chilled76
    Free Member

Are they a lot more supple than the inbred summer seasons?

Currently got one of those and find it a tad weighty and very harsh back end.

What’s an 18″ one of these weigh? No weights on the website that I can see? Lighter than a Soul?

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

I bought one just before Xmas, it was to replace a 120mm FS bike that I didn’t want to destroy riding 3/4 of the year when the weather is, well… like this.
    I’ve had a 100mm XC Alu hardtail that was quite harsh on the rough stuff, so wanted to go steel. Then noticed the Ti 456 and thought ‘yeah, that’ll do it’
    And it does, it’s still got the new bike appeal, but that’s slowly disappearing and being replaced with a ride hard and put away wet feel.

Lots of smiles running 140 Rev’s, the Ti frame takes some of the sting out of the trails, it doesn’t replace having rear suspension, but I can feel a big difference from an Alu frame on the same routes.

BUT I can’t let go of the FS bike yet, on a dry day when I’m wanting to go fast I think that’s the one that’ll get wheeled out, so for the rest of the year the Ti will get a hammering.

brassneck

the Ti frame takes some of the sting out of the trails, it doesn’t replace having rear suspension

Yup, but the clearance allows for some fat tyres (2.25″ plus) which makes a difference, and was a revelation after riding 2″ and under for many years.

Don’t think you can compare it too a summer season, far too different price points to be fair. I’d expect my 456 to be a fair bit lighter than a Soul, but again it’s a bit apples and oranges as it’d be nearly twice the price, and weight isn’t the whole story.
    Didn’t actually weigh it, but it felt lighter than my skinny Duster and a decade virtue I had (853 hardtail).

grey

Found mine on the Bay,Van Nic version.
    I run mine with a 2.4 RQ on the back to take the sting out of the trails, i still find i get a sore back though so i think i’m no longer a HT rider.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

well, if you lot have all moved on, then I might consider offering a new home to one of your no-longer-loved cast-offs.
    Interested in a 20″, ideally the braced version.
    Feel free to use email address in profile.

Mincer

Ecky-Thump, I have a 20″ I’ve been thinking of selling for a while – I’ve dropped you an email.

br
    Free Member

My 20″ frame Lynskey version weighs 1700g. It’s been 22lbs at its lightest and now 26lbs with a 150mm fork, big tyres 3×10 gearing and a dropper.

Still my only bike, +5 years now, and it has pretty much worked its way through so many components that the only original items are the front mech and the steerer spacers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘on one ti 456.how do you find them?’ is closed to new replies.