Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • What large estate car to get?
  • andy8442
    Free Member

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice. I’m looking for a new car. Large estate, of the Audi A6 size, 2ltr diesel, auto, must do 50+mpg on the motorway, new or ex-demo 25k ish. Suggestions please.

jeffl

Skoda Superb?

jam-bo

I reckon an Audi A6, 2ltr diesel automatic would fit your requirements perfectlly. should be able to pick a decent one up for less than 25k….

molgrips
    Free Member

Any of the VAG cars will do 60mpg on the motorway and the DSG is a great auto. A mate just got the previous model A6 in eco version. It’s massive, boot is a little longer than a Passat and it’s significantly quieter than my car, but the ride is pretty harsh compared to mine.

alfabus
    Free Member

VW Caravelle or Kombi 🙂

go on….. you know you want to…. 😈

Dave

johndoh
    Free Member

You won’t get 50mpg+ out of an A6 estate (at least I can’t out of my 174bhp manual variant). If I try *really* hard I can nudge 50mpg occasionally.

molgrips
    Free Member

My mate did get a little over 50mpg from his from near Stroud to Farnborough, which is what, 2/3 motorway. His is the TDI-e version mind.

peterfile
    Free Member

Skoda Superb?

I was in one of these a few months back, was quite impressed.

It is absolutely HUGE inside. Being in the rear is like being in a Maybach but without the trimmings!

johndoh
    Free Member

We live in N Yorks and have friends that live nr Milton Keynes – so we take the M1 all the way. When the big roadworks were around Nottingham last year (for about 15 miles) we could just do 50mpg then (including driving at 50mph through the roadworks). More realistically we get about 46mpg on a run. Not exactly brilliant.

tonyg2003

I guess Skoda Superb or E250cdi auto (alot more grunt than either of the VAG cars) or an eDrive V70. I’d agree that you’d probably struggle to get 50mpg from any large estate unless it’s got a 1.6ish diesel.

BTW spending 25K you are much better looking at which will depreciate the least rather than purely MPG.

gonzy
    Free Member

i’d recommend the A6 avant. i had an A6 saloon and i know the boots massive…i managed to get 2 single mattresses in with the back seats folded down without having to move the front seats….and as its an Audi its very STW!!

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d agree that you’d probably struggle to get 50mpg from any large estate unless it’s got a 1.6ish diesel.

Road tests for the eco variants of the VAG cars would suggest otherwise. My non-bluemotion eco-tyre equipped Passat saloon gets 60mpg on the motorway, as I believe I have mentioned on here a few times 🙂 And yes it’s pump verified etc etc.

zokes
    Free Member

Given that I used to get 55 MPG in my 51-plate Mondeo 2L TDCi, I find it surprising that much newer cars of similar size can’t better this

Flaperon

Another vote for the Skoda Superb here. My dad has one – but try to find one without low profile tyres, as he’s taken out two tyres in potholes in the 18 months he’s owned the car.

johndoh
    Free Member

Given that I used to get 55 MPG in my 51-plate Mondeo 2L TDCi, I find it surprising that much newer cars of similar size can’t better this

Additional weight due to more gizmos and improved safety innit.

pjm84
    Free Member

I have a Drive V70 and I can achieve 50mpg. Although the 1.6d is not to the liking of the STW masses.

I think the best I’ve managed is about 56mpg but that was at 55 to 60mph.

andy8442
    Free Member

I love this forum! Instant answers and help. Cheers guys.

footflaps

Superb Estate is huge – also a really nice car to drive.

zokes
    Free Member

Additional weight due to more gizmos and improved safety innit.

Thought the MkIII was ENCAP 5*. Though I might be wrong.

Not that it mattered, it spent more time in the garage than on the road – its hard to have a serious crash when it won’t start!

iainc

of the big ones, the 520d gets better reviews than the Audi – similar price and specs.

and it’s more economic

johnellison
    Free Member

@pjm84

I have a Drive V70 and I can achieve 50mpg. Although the 1.6d is not to the liking of the STW masses.

How do you find the drivE? I have a D5 (183bhp variant) which goes like stink (after all it is a 2.5 turbo) but I’m lucky if I can get 45mpg out of it. I like the idea of the drivE but I can’t get my head round a 1.6 motor in such a big car, especially fully laden.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

As above I have a 52 Mondeo Estate 2.0L TDDi, we worked out accurately 53mpg Bingley to Dover, fully loaded with 3 blokes, 3 bikes, camping gear and kit. Altho I generally got nearer 39mpg.

hunta

Bought a v low mileage 1 year old Skoda Superb Estate Elegance DSG from a dealer a few months ago for under £20k. Can’t fault it. I got the 170 2.0 TDi – only thing is you won’t get 60mpg out of it but I think that’s asking a lot for a car of that size and if you put your foot down it seems to pick up its skirts OK.

nedrapier

If I’m in the market for a new (to me) car, I’ll find it hard not to go for a Mondeo again. 180K on the current one, last 3 MOTs have needed headlights realigned, a new bulb, and nothing at all respectively. Nothing more than standard replacement stuff at services, one split turbo boost valve. Love the amount of space, low boot, fold flat seats. does 47.5 combined, but fuel and emission savings from low maintenance, low initial cost (£2K), low depreciation, and high mileage far outweigh it giving us 5pmg more, I reckon.

Plus, eet eurr, ‘ow you say..? “drives nice”

totalshell

skoda superb.. value quality.. whats not to like

br
    Free Member

Spend £15k and you’ve an extra £10k to spend on fuel. 🙂

Northwind

I’m basically becoming a bot. If question = <what car> then <recommend Mondeo>

But it does make sense- makes better use of its footprint than the A6. Mine (old 2.2 with a ton of toys and fat tyres) gives a reasonably-genuine 46mph average over all my use, which is ridiculous considering what a heavy foot i have (it did 59.9 from Edinburgh to Fort William- I don’t really drive for economy but I became obsessed with that last .1!).

Pembo
    Free Member

Another vote for the Superb, check out the you tube vids from fifth gear on the Superb.

Stu_N

A6 is lovely and a big step up from Passat in build quality, which is a bit nicer than a Superb. Mondeos are nice and big and well put together too, would look at them too if depreciation wasn’t so alarming.

I love mines. Downsides – dealer servicing isnt cheap and the boot is huge but not very tall as seats don’t fold completely flat. Can’t get a 29er in upright and have to let air out forks on 26 inch bikes – both went fine in Passat I had before. I get 40-42mpg on long runs with nothing on roof so 50ish from a 2.0 should be doable. The TDIe is probably a bit sluggish but I economy is main concern do it. And you can rock up at a trail centre and live the STW dream! Yeah!

pjm84
    Free Member

I don’t mind the 1.6d. I p/ex my XC70 D5 (163hp) in for it plus a big wad of cash

The engine has a very small punchy torque band and can be very sweet to drive if driven right. The engine is more forgiving and easier to drive in a smaller car though.

The computer readout for the D5s are known to be inaccurate. I did “47.8mpg” on a trip to the Alps and back one long weekend which actually equated to around 40mpg. It did take me 18months before I realised something was a miss as I never actually achieved the 700miles to an empty tank.

I regular achieve 650miles per tank in the 1.6d compared to 420mile for my old D5.

crispy
    Free Member

Well, I’m going to throw this out there. It’s probably not very STW-Chic, but I just picked up an 07 e-class estate for under 11k.

Bigger than any of these, with 7 seats, 0-60 in 7 seconds and 40 mpg. Lovely interior, wonderful drive.

The vast majority of your depreciation is already done with, and you’ve got 14k in your pocket left over to cover your 20% greater fuel bill.

I seriously don’t understand why you’d buy a newer, worser car for much more money. If anyone wants to fill me in there, then I’m all ears.

My 2p.

Oh, and you can buy my old Beemer on the classifieds if you wanted to save yourself another 10k on top of the 14k you’ve just saved.

chris_db
    Free Member

If you want a good large estate then a Mondeo handles well, does loads to the gallon and is massive inside. Same fuel economy and enough money left over for that £5k AM bike you want.

molgrips
    Free Member

I seriously don’t understand why you’d buy a newer, worser car for much more money

It may be a company car, they often have stipulations.

poolman
    Free Member

Skoda Superb estate, its enormous.

I get 50mpg easy on a 10 year old 406 hdi estate, 210k km & still going strong. The 50mpg includes hills too, but hot weather means engine warms quickly so I reckon thats worth 5 mpg (car lives in Spain)

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Don’t Get a Golf.

I’m quite gald to be getting a new car in March, its been ok, but I’m not that impressed with the fuel consumption.

gonzy
    Free Member

my A6 was a 2000 reg…and i’d average around 40mpg depending on how angry my right foot was….bit on the low side but then again it was a 2.5 tdi quattro sport with the multitronic box….lovely car though, i miss the car but not the big maintenance bills!!

midlifecrashes

I’ve never quite understood why someone is happy to spent £25k or so on the depreciation on a flash motor, then worry about whether it does 45 or 55mpg, unless you’re doing rocketship miles wouldn’t the depreciation be the more significant figure?

andrewh
    Free Member

We have a load of VAG diesels at work and they are loads of trouble, especially gearbox/clutch issues on the DSGs. Also one engine transplant on a 4yr old 2 litre A3.
    Any chance of an XF Sportbrake coming within budget? May be a little older than the other options but that means it won’t depreciate as fast.
    And midlifecrashes has a very good point.
    R-Class Merc?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve never quite understood why someone is happy to spent £25k or so on the depreciation on a flash motor, then worry about whether it does 45 or 55mpg,

Well, if you want a nice new motor, better all round to get one that does 60mpg rather than 40 isn’t it?

djglover
    Free Member

Skoda are doing the Octavia VRS diesel runout model NEW for under 18K with full leather and sat nav. Bargain

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘What large estate car to get?’ is closed to new replies.