• This topic has 97 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)
  • What knee pads for XC?
  • GEDA
    Free Member

I usually wear soft knee pads for XC. Forgot them last time. Slipped a little on a rocky climb and my knee hit the bar/shifters. Nearly could not walk down stairs the next day. Been to the Physio today and it turns out I hit my bursa. No big deal but if I had been wearing my pads I would not have had any damage. Keeps your knees warm when it is cold as well.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Why would you wear a helmet when riding XC?

why would you not?

Duane…
    Free Member

^ Well it’s the same logic as asking why you’d wear knee pads surely?

akira

Hopefully someone will be along with some sizing information soon, quite tempted by the what MTB offer but unsure about size.
    The MT500s are supposed to be a bit less bulky than Kyle Straits.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

^ Well it’s the same logic as asking why you’d wear knee pads surely?

except that a hit to the knee might only disable you whereas a hit to the head could kill you?

Duane…
    Free Member

Do you wear a neck brace?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Do you wear a neck brace?

you’re an idiot…

wwaswas

well he struggled to get his image posted first time but he seems quite sound otherwise…

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

I’ve just picked up some Fox Launch pro’s.. I like them because they’ve got a hard shell covering the knee and the rear of the pad (Behind you knee) is cut out which makes them a little cooler. I’ll be giving them a proper shakedown at Afan in a few weeks, but so far an hour pootle about suggests they’re cool enough for longish rides. They were a tad sweaty after though!

Decided to get them after hearing a few too many horror stories from people who were ‘just riding along’. I’ll likely use them if i’m riding more rocky places or if i’m attempting anything a little out of my comfort zone.

Duane…
    Free Member

Why am I an idiot? I wasn’t saying that’s the logic I follow.

paulbr42
    Free Member

Been wearing 661 Evo d3o knee and shin pads the last few months. A little smaller and lighter than Kyle Straits. Still more restrictive than nothing but I still have a lump below my knee from an awkward fall on a rock slab a few months ago so some protection seems like good insurance – and much better than not riding. You get used to them after the first few hundred metres

donsimon
    Free Member

except that a hit to the knee might only disable you whereas a hit to the head could kill you?

I know, nasty things those rotational forces too, do you some real damage.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Why am I an idiot?

sorry – I was mistaking you for someone else…

Anyway the Troy Lee KG 5400s are my recommendation – I had the Lizard Skins neoprene things before which are lighter weight still but the straps get annoying.

I have the medium and the straps are not tight at all, maybe I could of taken a small. But behind the knee is ribbed with shaped clingy rubber strips that keep it them your knee. They are very unobtrusive – just feel like knee warmers.

I was trying to track down the 661 evo XC pads but they were difficult to find and then I found several posts from people prefering the troys.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I know, nasty things those rotational forces too, do you some real damage

talking of idiots…

Funnily enough I just bought a new helmet yesterday after crunching mine at the weekend on some XC routes round winterfold.

Last year I came off my folding bike on the way to work with no helmet on – broke my collarbone and hit my head.

I couldn’t open my mouth wide enough to eat things like cakes and doughnuts without pain for several weeks – reason enough to wear a helmet I think.

stumpy01

Hmmmm, I only came in here to see how many people were saying things like

“lol, pads for XC. MTFU” and other hilarious comments……..

But, now I am quite tempted by that what mountain bike offer! Damn my curious mind….

traildog
    Free Member

You’re more likely to bash a knee than hit your head. And it’s no fun having a battered knee which takes a very long time to fix (I know, I have a damaged one at the moment).
    If you can protect yourself then why not? If you think you’re hard for not, then you are an idiot, not the person who made an error with some html.. 🙄

SOAP
    Free Member

anyone done the What MTB-Endura direct Debit thingy?
    Is it one payment of £20ish or six smaller payments

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

G-form. Thixotropic padding (like POC VPD and 661 Evo) but much cheaper and seem to be easy to look after (machine washable, as opposed to POC which seems quite needy to look after). I’ve got POC elbows and am considering these for knee pads. One of the few times I rode without armour this year I fell of at penmachno, snapped off the end of my elbow and tore off my tricep tendon. Nearly 3 months off work, reconstructive surgery and missed a summer of riding (including having to cancel alpine riding holiday). Protection is all about personal choice, I have no idea why someone wearing pads (or full face or whatever else they choose) should interest or bother someone else, but just like people riding longer travel bikes on XC rides it really seems to bring out the sneers.

TBC have them even cheaper than RRP with an STW code, but only in ninja turtle yellow. I googled a few reviews and all positive.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/g-form-knee-pads-fit

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/g-form-elbow-and-knee-pads

muckytee
    Free Member

Option 1: fall off land on knees – have blood streaming from knee caps – get back on bike – ride the rest of the ride at half pace with bloody legs, and have people take the piss for falling off. (although if you have an even bigger off, then you won’t be able to ride home at all – better still 🙂 )

Option 2: fall off land on knees – get up, dust off – ride on…

I have 661 evo’s

trailmonkey

worn kyle straits for a few years now. they’re very comfortable and climbing isn’t a problem, however i have a couple of issues with them. firstly, they rub on either the frame or my shorts (not sure which) which means that the top inside pad gets damaged and eventually falls out. secondly, i had a reasonable off and the padding on the sides didn’t prevent some spectacular bruising to the leg underneath.

avdave2

Hopefully someone will be along with some sizing information soon, quite tempted by the what MTB offer but unsure about size.

And helpfully the Endura website doesn’t seem to help on the sizing.

Pauly

Those new Troy Lee ones are great. I have the Knee & Shin pads and they are the closest to fit and forget pads I’ve worn. Far comfier than the Kyle Straits I used to have.

GW
    Free Member

none

Northwind

I use my Kyle Straits… All-day comfortable, not at all restrictive or chafey (until they start to wear, when a wee bit of chamois cream becomes a good idea), and just a little bit sweatier than wearing nothing (knees don’t do an awful lot of heat radiating). Also, cheap. There are better but not at this price.

As for wearing pads for XC- some people’s idea of XC seems to be no-chance-of-falling tedium, and understandably these people can’t understand why some people whose idea of XC involves a bit of fun, might want to wear pads. Simple really.

juan
    Free Member

bluegrass like 661 only cheaper

FuzzyWuzzy

Certainly are a lot of dicks posting on this thread – wtf does it matter if someone wants to wear knee pads for riding other than full on DH? Stuff like g-form is so good it doesn’t detract in anyway from riding enjoyment so why not use them if you want a bit of insurance against buggering up your knees and elbows?

The helmet analogy someone made was entirely valid, I’m guessing most people don’t wear helmets these days solely as they could die without one, more like they want to reduce the damage any impact has. Helmets have moved on to such an extent that the same argument holds really, they’re that unobtrusive that even though they’re not a guaranteed life-saver then you may as well wear one anyway (assuming you value saving yourself from injury more than you value what other people think of you).

Still too early to say how well g-form pads last but my 661 evo’s looked pretty ragged after only a few rides and the g-forms came out shiny new after a 40c wash, as long as the stitching holds up I think they’re onto a winner (just size up from their chart IME).

SOAP
    Free Member

The Endura deal is a year sub at 2 payments of £20 and you need to cancel after the second payment
    Sizewize they are pretty small 🙂
    Ordered mine last night

GW
    Free Member

As for wearing pads for XC- some people’s idea of XC seems to be no-chance-of-falling tedium, and understandably these people can’t understand why some people whose idea of XC involves a bit of fun, might want to wear pads. Simple really.

you don’t need to ride tediously to not fall off.
    I’d rather dirtjump with no helmet or pads. never wear a helmet for local XC and would never wear pads for XC anywhere. it’s just my personal choice and certainly doesn’t mean I’m having no fun.

chakaping
    Free Member

it’s just my personal choice

Then why tell the OP that’s what he should do too?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I’d rather dirtjump with no helmet or pads. never wear a helmet for local XC and would never wear pads for XC anywhere

your choice – but if I saw you in trouble after an accident I would have to consider leaving you to your injuries and letting darwinian evolutionary principles have their way.

GW
    Free Member

Where have I “told” anyone what to do?
    I happen to know “the OP” and have shared the odd bit of advice with him but haven’t ever “told” him what or what not do do as he’s perfectly able to make his own decisions.

Turnerguy = prick I hope never to meet (injured or not)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Turnerguy = prick I hope never to meet (injured or not)

you won’t be meeting me injured as I wear my pads – it is more likely that I will be meeting you injured 🙂

Any why would you call me names – surely you wouldn’t be expecting anyone to help you after a crash as you have decided that you don’t need to wear any pads?

jools182
    Free Member

I fell off when setting off on a rocky ‘xc’ descent

Cracked my knee and couldn’t stand up straight for a couple of days

You’ll be saying don’t wear a helmet next 😉

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Where have I “told” anyone what to do?

the tread title is a question, what knee pads for XC? your reply

GW – Member

none

so you are telling the OP not to wear pads. You didn’t reply “I choose not to wear pads…”, you said the best pads for XC are no pads.

si-wilson
    Free Member

some good suggestions here, having fallen off a few weeks ago and busting my knee doing nothing more than ‘XC’ a set of pads might be in order.

Northwind

GW- hence “some” and “might” in my post.

crikey
    Free Member

Walks away, slowly shaking his head at the nonsense people get up to just to ride bicycles in the country, wondering how we ever managed to get to this point with a public outcry about the massive toll exacted on our nations youth, almost sobbing at the senseless waste of a generation crippled before their time all because of a lack of knee pads.

I’m surprised we don’t have a memorial service in the big church each year…

milkyman
    Free Member

you dont need pads for xc riding, stabalizers might be better if you are that bad, or not bother at all

yunki
    Free Member

you dont need pads for xc riding, stabalizers might be better if you are that bad, or not bother at all

This photo was taken on one of my favourite local XC loops.. this is a tiny part of the section.. it’s not the most technical section in the area and the loop has a lot of sections like this..
    I don’t wear pads myself, but I fully understand those that do..

milkyman
    Free Member

and your point is, you look in control to me, dont think knee pads would help much there

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘What knee pads for XC?’ is closed to new replies.