Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • G-Form elbow and knee pads
  • druidh
    Free Member

After seeing the wee “bowling ball” video on STW I decided to investigate the G-Form elbow and knee pads. I’m not really into “body armour”, but I thought that this stuff looked light and comfy enough that I’d be encouraged to wear it and, with a bit of risk compensation I might also be encourage to go a wee bit faster on looser terrain.

Well, I couldn’t find anywhere to buy it but after a chance meeting at Glentress and a chat with Mark from The Bike Chain in Edinburgh, he decided to order some up. I popped in today to get some and was able to try it on. I’m very glad I did so as there is no way I’d have been able to wear the “Medium” sized knee pads that the G-Form site recommended for my measurement. The grip bit around the calf was so tight I could hardly move my leg for fear of cutting off the circulation. The elbow pads similarly suffered as the top grip strip was too tight to fit comfortably on my biceps. So, Large it was. I have to say that they certainly are very light and can be folded down to fit in a jersey pocket.

Next stage is to try them off-road (hopefully without a trail/pad interface though). I’m thinking a wee visit to Glentress might be on the cards for tomorrow.

Anyone else got these and care to add to this thread regarding fit, longevity and effectiveness??

meribelmtb
    Free Member

Got some knee pads in large (would have expected to be a medium too) and very pleased with them. They have stood up to one significant off well and are very comfy and breathable on long rides.

Overall a big success.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Saw a set today and was very impressed with the look of them. a nice compromise between protection and lightness / comfort

Raymond

I know it’s a personal question but what size are your knees?! I like the look of these but don’t want to order the wrong size if they’re coming all the way from the US and there doesn’t seem to be a UK distributer yet.

druidh
    Free Member

You can get them from TBC – http://www.thebikechain.co.uk/GFORM-Knee-Protection-S-201109260202/

My knees came in at 35cm, the table on this page suggests a Medium..

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

crikey – if they where green then people really would look like mutant ninja turtles with their backpacks on…

druidh
    Free Member

Black has recently been launched, but not available in the UK yet.

handyman
    Free Member

Got a set of knee and elbow pads i found the fit ok compared to their website have worn but havn’t yet tested them properly, dont plan too if i am careful, but they flex nicely and are not restrictive perfect for techy xc stuff and shopping in the sales

FuzzyWuzzy

I bought my knee pads off eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Knee-Pads-G-FORM-/320762649260?pt=UK_Cycling_Clothing&hash=item4aaef19aac#ht_786wt_905 but good to see a proper UK distributor.

Agree on the size, I was near the top-end of the XL sizing, thought about ordering XXL but was worried they’d slip so stuck with XL. Man they’re tight lol, got pins and needles in my right leg to start with but seemed a bit better towards the end of the ride. They were very comfy when pedalling though, even more so than my 661 evo’s so I’ll be ordering a set of XXL’s shortly. You can just bung them in the washing machine at 40c to which is good. Only real downside I see (apart from obviously lacking the full-on protection of a hardshell) is being a lycra tube they’re slightly more faff if you want to take them off and put them on regularly on a ride but given the comfort I can’t see why you’d want to.

druidh
    Free Member

LBS in “cheaper than ebay” shocker!!!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

as someone who is into body armour through bitter experience, I’d heard a rumour someone else was releasing thixotropic armour and would undercut 661 and POC. I’ve just 🙄 (though at much less than RRP) bought some POC arm guards and interesting to hear how flexible G-form pads are, as you couldnt fold POC stuff, and it needs body heat to soften up.

Might wait on getting knee guards (POC seem better shaped for elbow, 661 for knee) and see how these pan out, assuming they do less offensive colours!

grum
    Free Member

Pretty interested in these, especially the eblow pads – think I’ll wait for the black ones too though. 🙂

ukmgranger
    Free Member

I got a pair of the black knee pads the other day from the G-Form website.

These knee pads are not good in the cold! I went riding the other night in -2 conditions. The foam protection turns to rock in this sort of temperature!

It felt like I was riding wearing cardboard on my knees. They did soften slightly as my legs warmed up, but not significantly.

Be warned!!

druidh
    Free Member

grum – Member
    Pretty interested in these, especially the eblow pads – think I’ll wait for the black ones too though.

Black is already available..

http://www.thebikechain.co.uk/GFORM-Knee-Protection-M-Black-20110926020301/

argyle
    Free Member

do you think you could squeeze in a few more bike chain links?

foxyrider
    Free Member

My thoughts – No they are not warm they are cool 🙂

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/gear/protection/leg-guards/g-form-knee-and-elbow-pads.htm

FuzzyWuzzy

Can’t say I’ve really noticed my knee pads going rock hard in the cold and done a few rides around 0c in them now.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘G-Form elbow and knee pads’ is closed to new replies.