Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 162 total)
  • What is it with this forums lefties?
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Its the “natural order” of things ? ……..doesn’t sound very revolutionary to me 😕

If they were proper revolutionaries, they should have insisted on sitting on the right……just to show them like. That’s what I would’ve done.

snowslave

Does anyone remember the fridge in hulme? That club made by knocking thewalls down between flats? My mate damo knocked them walls down. Good club that. Or the warehouse parties in the big houses in whalley range where mark kermode played in a band called Russians eat Bambi and he dressed in a red teddy boy drape jacket? No concrete damaged at those parties mind, but there were hells angels on the door and they looked as hard as concrete

scaredypants

damo suzuki ?

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

All this nostalgia made me quite emotional, so here’s my favourite place from years gone by with my estate in the background
    Any guesses where it is?

khani
    Free Member

Does anyone remember the fridge in hulme? That club made by knocking thewalls down between flats? My mate damo knocked them walls down. Good club that. Or the warehouse parties in the big houses in whalley range where mark kermode played in a band called Russians eat Bambi and he dressed in a red teddy boy drape jacket? No concrete damaged at those parties mind, but there were hells angels on the door and they looked as hard as concrete

I remember that, the hells angels were the satans slaves and were pussy cats really, used to go to Manchester uni getting hammered with em, they wanted me and my mate to become members but I didn’t want to cut off my Mohican,

duntmatter
    Free Member

Am I too late for a flyover?

mefty
    Free Member

TT -Brisbane Rd

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Spot on there mefty or the Matchroom Stadium as its been renamed (but no one uses that name)

Couldn’t make it down there tonight, but bought a ticket anyway and got my mate to pick it up. Need the stub from tonight and next tuesday to get a ticket for the Arsenal cup game

iDave
    Free Member

pah, call that a flyover….

THIS is a flyover…..

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Your fly over does nothing for me iDave.

This one however…….

A Lancaster, a Hurricane and a Spitfire …… bollox …..now I’ve got a lump in my throat 😥

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And maybe lets not forget the de Havilland Mosquito

“In 1940 I could at least fly as far as Glasgow in most of my aircraft, but not now! It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito. I turn green and yellow with envy. The British, who can afford aluminium better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed which they have now increased yet again…”

– Reichsmarschall Hermann Goring, 1943

leggyblonde
    Free Member

My girlfriend works with a de Havilland. She is now a lefty and has no money

RustySpanner

Ooooh, are we doing footy grounds as well?

I like this one – smallest attendance of any game I’ve ever been to, 180 odd IIRC:

And this one is a bit more local – great little ground though:

Any guesses?

Pogo
    Free Member

IdleJon

I suppose that all those aircraft are lefties as well, in terms of suspension? Although there may be some righties on the other wing?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ernie, I can hear the Merlins from here….

*Goosebumps*

RustySpanner

A left wing fighter (right wing featured in this photo, however):

mAx_hEadSet

Cant fail to see the left wing in this photo but it’s the right wing getting all the attention but it’s not News International its a stringbag

khani
    Free Member

Leftie car

Kunstler

Do you need a right wing at all?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZiP4NaeYrE[/video]

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Polikarpovtastic

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Mountain biking underpass an’ shiz.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

That is **** amazing Kunstler !

EDIT : I just it seen again – that landing ain’t real 😕

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Second footy ground looks like Accrington Stanley, no idea of the first one though, guessing it could be a scottish team with that sort of crowd.

My lot sent Oxford down when Accrington got back in the league, complete reversal of fortunes I believe from about 1963

RustySpanner

Spot on TT, second pic is the Fraser Eagle Stadium in Accy.
    Nice ground, good atmosphere.

And the first ground is indeed in Scotland.
    Here’s a clue – you could get there on your ‘Bad Motor Scooter’, oh yeah.

hamishthecat – Member

Polikarpovtastic

Innit?
    They always remind me of the US GeeBee racers, all engine, not much else.
    Did much better than expected against the Axis though. HOW brave must the pilots have been to take on much more modern aircraft in one of those?

I believe they were actually replaced in service in some theatres by these:

Kunstler

Here’s a clue – you could get there on your ‘Bad Motor Scooter’, oh yeah.

That’ll be:

What an album cover.

Ernie – sorry you had the magic ruined. I felt the same way when I watched Tamara Drewe.

ahwiles
    Free Member

oh i do like a good concrete thread!

fantastic stuff.

RustySpanner

Check out the sky blue wafters on Sammy Hagar 😀 :

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk52nGxF-jc[/video]

Kunstler

Actually, that’s not my favourite album cover. I’ve always appreciated the subtle depictions of human warmth.

RustySpanner

Aw, that’s nice – dad taking his daughter out for a birthday drink.
    How thoughtful.

I’ve always liked this one – such nice, clean boys:

I’d post the album cover of Millie Jackson sat on the bog, but I don’t want to get banned just yet….

Hohum
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member
    oh i do like a good concrete thread!

fantastic stuff.

Concrete looks soooo much better in black and white than colour!

cbike
    Free Member

It doesn’t happen often but TJ is wrong!!

There was always meant to be an office structure or development there. There are other M8 junctions and flyovers that were never completed though. Eg the Junction to Bishopbriggs, Inner Glasgow ring road down high street to gorbals…I could go on but you’d get bored.

duntmatter
    Free Member

It doesn’t always go to plan on the motorway.

Or the velodrome.

RustySpanner

I’ve been trying to find some info over the last couple of days about a housing development I remember from Cheetham Hill in the 70’s.

Memory plays odd tricks and I thought the place had been called the Queen Elizabeth or Queen Mary flats.
    However, it appears to have been this place, Kennet House, which was built in 1933 (one of the first in the country?) and demolished in 1978:

Think these may be from an architects model:

You can really tell the difference between this and the later brutalist stuff, far more ‘Art Deco’ type touches.

I remember being shown this place just as it was being demolished.
    My parents told me that it had been designed to look like a ship from ground level, and even though it was in a bit of a state, I remember it being quite spectacular – certainly nicer than Collyhurst, Monsal or ‘Fort Ardwick’.

Although it would appear to be a pretty important building I can only find a few references to it on the net.

A thread about the place on Aidan O’Rourke’s old site here.

Anyone remember the place, or better still have some more photo’s?

Whilst looking, I’ve also come across these sites, some of you might like: 😀
    Skyscraper City’s thread on Britain (the Manchester stuff starts about page 79, I think!).

The Manchester Modernist Society.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Anyway.
    Back on topic…………this is what happens when you list dangerously to the left – or “port side” as they would have us call it.

RustySpanner

Er, Ernie, isn’t that the front of the canoe, or ‘Pointy End’ as I believe it’s called in the trade?
    So it’s actually leaning to the right?

That’s your suppressed subconscious fascist tendencies coming out right there, that is.

Anyway.
    Back on topic…………

I’m not sure I can remember what the topic was now….
    I’m sure wes’ll be along in a mo to put us back on track 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

interesting cbike – I could have sworn I was right but a quick google explained it. It sure looked like a roadway and was empty for 20+ years. Every day is a school day

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Er, Ernie, isn’t that the front ……

WTF…… I think you’re right 😯 Good grief, I can’t tell my arse from my elbow concerning nautical issues 😕 I’m sitting here philosophising on aquatic contentions which I clearly know nothing about. Oh the humiliation of being an incurable landlubber 😐

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

……having said that, I know a badly parked boat when I see one

iDave
    Free Member

I suppose one of the most influential left wingers in my life was Steve Heighway. I’d choose him over Wes for a pint in the pub any day.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘What is it with this forums lefties?’ is closed to new replies.