Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • What gravel bike….2-2.5k 🔥🤦‍♂️
  • hopefiendboy

Hi all!

I’m luckily in the position to consider getting a gravel bike via the cycle to work scheme (yes I will commute on it in rotation with my other bikes) and wondered if anyone could give some feedback on bikes in the 2-2.5k range?

Basically after a fast xc/roadbike for road and trail use with some bikepacking lite in there.

Any advice or recommendations gratefully received 👍😀

simonstilts

just had an One One Ruji – only a few shortish rides, but so far pleased (bit less than your target price mind!)

chakaping
    Free Member

I don’t own one of these, but I’d be looking at one with that budget…
    https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2375-adv-9.0-2021.html

I have the alu frame version and it’s really good.

stumpy01

Oh jeez. I’m currently going through this. Looking to get a gravel bike which will probably replace my 26″ wheeled Inbred which has had a rigid fork on it for the past 5 years or so & only really gets used for everything a gravel bike would be more than capable of.

No idea on specific recommendations, but my not so shortlist looks like this:

Ribble Gravel Al
    Kinesis G2
    Canyon Grail or Grizl
    Specialized Diverge
    Orbea Terra
    Vitus Substance
    Focus Atlas
    Forme Monsal
    Sonder Camino Al
    Orro Terra
    Nukeproof Digger
    Fustle Causeway

In all honesty I think I have it pretty much knocked down to the Sonder Camino. This is because it seems to be excellent value for money & you can customise almost all aspects of the build, which you can’t do with most of the other bikes.
    For a lot of the other bikes, there are small niggles that meant I have discounted them, or availability looks sketchy, or they are a bit pricey for a decent spec.
    The other bike on my shortlist is the Orbea Terra mainly because of the mango paintjob if I’m honest, but it can’t really be customised & doesn’t have things like fork-mounted.
    And I have only just looked at the Fustle Causeway, but no idea on what the lead-time is & it looks potentially a bit long for me.

Main things to consider for me have been:

Do I want a road-oriented gravel bike, or one that is perhaps a bit more compromise on road but better off-road.
    Do I want 1x or 2x. Still a question mark over this. My mtbs are all still 3x and my road bike is 2x. I need to take a 1x for a spin.
    What wheelsize? Being a short arse, I am tending towards 650b for something perhaps a bit more nimble, but I am not sure whether that will affect tyre choice etc and how it affects speed on the road. My understanding is that by the time you put a decent size tyre on a 650b, it will have a rolling radius almost the same as a 700c wheel anyway.

Good luck choosing! I’m so indecisive I’ll probably still be mulling it over when 3x drivetrains come back into fashion.

freeagent
    Free Member

Very happy with my Dolan GXA – purchased last summer.
    I think they start at about £1700, however you’d get the carbon version (GXC) for your budget.
    Dolan were a joy to deal with and the bike is lush…

I’d buy another bike from Dolan without hesitation.

kuman
    Free Member

Can’t go wrong with Sonder Camino Ti GRX, it’s mega value for money.
    Run it with 40-43mm tyres for general riding or 50mm for proper off road and bikepacking.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The Boardman ADV 9.0, which I so wish I’d been able to buy summer ’20, is so rarely in stock.

The next model up is showing stock in all sizes for me https://www.halfords.com/bikes/gravel-bikes/boardman-adv-9.4-mens-adventure-bike—s-m-l-xl-frames-456358.html

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

what kuman says, camino ti GRX, last bike in, last bike out i reckon, lovely bike for me,

supernova

Kona Sutra Ltd.

Kona Sutra LTD Review: The Last Adventure Bike

All the bike you’ll ever need.

BigM
    Free Member

Just got a Sonder Camino Ti on ride to work. Quick enough on the road, seems very surefooted off road, looking forward to some longer gravel/off road adventures in the summer.
    I got down to the choice of 2 the Sonder or a Lines, Sonder won as it’s ti.

mboy
    Free Member

Really impressed with my Titus Goldrush, rides very nicely, frame one of the neatest finished Ti frames I’ve seen too…

But then I’ve just seen PX have only got small’s and XL’s in stock now, and they’ve had quite a price hike since I bought mine!

For that reason I’d probably go for the Sonder Camino Ti if I was buying again right now… Believe the frames are made in the same factory, and full build prices seem very reasonable too.

jam-bo

i have a focus atlas. it’s been great but to be honest, I mainly picked that because in november 2021 when I got it it was actually in stock, in my size which made the decision making process a lot easier.

only downside to it is ‘road boost’ hub spacing which is making a 2nd set of wheels a more difficult process.

rOcKeTdOg

Fustle causeway is a riot of a bike
    52598248931_aa5408f4ed_k_104645

I liked it so much when I reviewed it I bought one https://ukgravelco.com/fustle-causeway-gr1-review/

I love the new colours too

P20

Bother in law loves his camino ti. You can get in to fairlights for that money

frankconway

Pearson – Irons in the Fire; steel frame.
    Was £2600, now £1850 – for complete bike.

onewheelgood

My daughter has a Camino Al. It’s lovely, so lovely that I’m not sure it’s worth paying the extra for the Ti. I think in your position I’d spend the money on a higher spec Al rather than the Ti. And I say that as someone who owns a Ti gravel bike.

mrchrispy

Same position last year and went for the Camino Ti.
    I get the higher group set argument but its Titanium ffs….it bloody lush

Burchy1
    Free Member

I’ve recently picked up a Sonder Camino Al. It’s a really nicely thought out bike, i almost swapped out the flared bars but really glad i didn’t as they feel link you’ve unlocked the power up to riding it downhill off road!

infovore

If I was spending that much, I’d look to the upper end of the price bracket at a Fairlight Secan, but that’s partly down to personal taste.

ampthill

I think it’s just a matter of picking your way through the geometry charts to find one that’s right for you. The sonder Camino is a great. But just too low at the front for me. I’m also note that fairlight secan has a 72.5 degree head angle in my size, which I find it hard to get my head round by

I’d also be looking at a Kinesis Tripster atr.

Wheels wise I think you need 700c and 650b with more and less off road tyres. Unless you already own a road bike and or fast hardtail.

crosshair
    Free Member

I love my Diverge comp carbon. 2x GRX 810, future shock, swat box, a billion bottle cage mounts, comfy carbon seat post, great tyre clearance and confidence inspiring geo’s, what’s not to like.

Have done everything from Dirty Reiver to night time CX at Swindon, to 24mph chaingangs on it.

I didn’t want one especially but, it was the only thing in stock anywhere when I was buying and I’m super glad I ended up with it.

janwal
    Free Member

Check out PlanetX range. I can recommend the carbon Free Ranger. They also do the CTW scheme.

tourismo

Love my Cotic Cascade, but you already new that.😜

hopefiendboy

@tourismo indeed! Cotic Escapade would be an interesting concept….not sure if I’m a steel guy but they make good bikes…

@crosshair
    specialized would be good but by god they are literally ££££s more than the competition! Nuts!

@n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    had boardman bikes before…Great value and work well. I’d maybe want the option to go larger than a 42mm tyre…but I don’t completely know!

Some other good suggestions in there too….I’ll feedback I’d I get some test rides organised. Alpkit shop is in Edinburgh so hopefully I can arrange a wee ride or something….

hopefiendboy

But I reckon for road use and low range gearing I’d want a double. Can’t quite get this out of my mindset. On the spin to work on the xc bike I was in my lowest gear 32×42 and was struggling on a hillside which is smooth enough for a gravelbike…

djflexure

Carbon FreeRanger got my vote – versatile, can run double or single chainrings, huge tyre clearance. Takes a full guard too – I’ve run 45’s with a full guard. Fast on and off road. Built mine up from a frame so got the spec I wanted which could be an issue with their full builds

stumpy01

hopefiendboy

But I reckon for road use and low range gearing I’d want a double. Can’t quite get this out of my mindset.

This is what I have been struggling with in trying to make a decision, but the guy at Alpkit I chatted with on Messenger pointed out that actually their 1x option gearing is about as low as their double.

lowest gears
    1x = 40/42 = 0.95
    2x = 30/32 = 0.94

I suppose you could swap out the cassette on the 2x for a 36, which would give you 0.83.

I am not sure if you can run a wide-range cassette on a 2x. If you can though, you then lose the closer ratios of a 2x which to me is one of the advantages.

Some of the direct mount (is that the expression) 1x cranks let you fit a 38T chainring. The Rival 1 Wide is one example. But that’s quite an outlay to lose 2 teeth on the chainring.

hopefiendboy

Fair point. But I reckon a 36 on the back would be well achievable and give the extra scope especially if you are carrying luggage…

onewheelgood

The issue isn’t really the low gear, it’s the spacing. The gaps on 1x are a pain on the road.

montylikesbeer

I love my Camino AL Rival 1

Its become my go to bike with capability for most of my Pennine Moorland trals and with a second wheel set a more than capable road hacker.

fatmax

Fairlight Secan is on my list and could be had for that price range. Check out the reviews! 😍

tenfoot

Giant’s Revolt range is well thought of by some.

NormalMan

Another nod to the Pearson from me

w00dster

To be honest and this is only my used case, OP and others may be different, the gaps on the 1x are only a bit rubbish if you’re more road focused. If I’m focusing on the road I go on my road bike. When I’m using the gravel bike the road is only used to link up different areas of offroad. So 1x is perfect for me. My bike came with a 42 chainring, this is ok, but a 40 tooth probably better if you have more technical steep climbs.

I have a Planet X Tempest. Rides nicely. Managed to get the Campagnola EKAR version for £1900 in the sales last year. I wouldn’t pay full price. I’d also probably not go EKAR. I had a second set of wheels for more road use (commuting) and it was quite expensive converting them to be compatible and set up to ride (cassette and new EKAR rotor).

If I was buying again, I’d really like to have had a look at the Bombtrack Hook. I bought my Tempest because of the price drop, but the below is amazing value and the bikes are amazing to look at.

https://www.lyonequipment.com/bikes/pgr/bombtrack-hook-ext-c-glossy-green-my22__2875

phil5556

To be honest and this is only my used case, OP and others may be different, the gaps on the 1x are only a bit rubbish if you’re more road focused.

I don’t have any issues with the gaps either, but I’m not a roadie and have no idea what my ideal cadence is etc.

What I did have issue with was how high the gearing was out of the box.

I started with Rival 1x with 11-42 and 40T chainring. Straightaway I changed to 11-46 and 38T and recently 11-51 with a Ratio Technology long cage. It’s now perfect and I can go to a smaller chainring for loading the bike up if I need to.

And I’m another Camino owner, the latest v4 and I love it. It’s well put together, looks ace and I just really enjoy riding it. Compared to my wife’s Topstone it’s caused me zero issues.

I had a spin on one from the Edinburgh store before I ordered it.

stumpy01

@phil5556 – more importantly, what colour did you go for?!

Regardin the crank & change to a 38T ring, is that possible on the standard Rival chainring, or do you have the Rival 1 Wide direct mount version?
    I thought that the minimum chainring size that fits is 40t with a standard Rival (or GRX) crank.
    Is your ‘normal’ riding environment quite hilly? Just wondering where your desire to lower the gearing came from? Or was it just for having more suitable gearing when the bike is loaded for bikepacking or something?

What build did you go for? And did you change much from the customise options? If I get the Camino, I’ll probably upgrade the wheels to the Alpha ones as they are a bit lighter, but not sure about 700c or 650b.

rOcKeTdOg

You’ll struggle with a cascade as it’s designed for a single ring and is more the MTB end of gravel than the road end

Cotic Cascade Review

andytherocketeer

Was trying to whittle down my shortlist, but opening this thread just lengthened it again.
    Main reason I’d not ordered already was the ‘B’ word, until all the customs and duty faff was sorted for export to EU. Then none of the components were available anyway.
    Was also waiting for Fustle to announce that the next iteration would be BSA68/73 rather than pressfit.
    The Sonder Ti does look tempting even if that does mean more BB tools for the collection too.
    At least most of the components I want are now available, so given myself a deadline of the week after my ski trip to order a replacement for my 13yr old rim brake bike.
    So do I go for a 3rd Cotic, a Fustle, or Sonder, Mason, Bombtrack, … Or even a Winspace if they ever have sizes larger than XS again?

intheborders
    Free Member

+1 Freeranger

50c’s on mine and no issue with the 1x (42F & 11-42R) except when on the road it’s not got the top-end for the long road hill descents, but is plenty low enough for climbing.

hopefiendboy

Omg what have I started 😅

I think I want something with the option of 50mm tyre clearance. I’m sold on 29er for offroad use so 650b not in the running for me.

Gearing…i can forsee me doing more road work then accessing trails this way so the double setup with a tighter ratio at the back for less cadence jump when doing so makes sense.

Therefore shortlist bikes so far…

Canyon Grizl CF SL7 or SL8 (not sure the 8 is worth 650 quid more!)

Sonder Camino ti GRX2

Cotic Escapade 853 with 2×105

Hmmmmmmm argghh decisions. Albeit good ones…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.