Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What forks? 140mm>160mm? 20/15mm? Trail-bike-able?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Morning all. I'm after some new forks for my Blur 4X but am at a bit of a loss as to what to get.

Key things are 20mm bolt-thru and reasonably light. Pikes seem the obvious answer but I really like the option of having 160mm up front so that brings into play the 36. Any options would be second hand probably looking at the price of forks these days…

But, is there anything else out there I'm missing? Rev Maxles? Are they 150mm now? Been looking at some Manitou Minutes (140mm versions) as an alternative to the Pikes – anyone have any experience with these?

The old Pace RC41 Fighter 20mm seems to be my ideal fork but they're as rare as hens teeth!

Dave

I_Ache
    Free Member

Lyriks?

rob1984p
    Free Member

I had 07 lyrik solo airs and loved every minute with them although some people say the early lyrik airs can be unreliable i think

I_Ache
    Free Member

Its the 2 step that were unreliable I think.

What about wotans?

dreednya

Got 140 Manitou Minutes on my Mojo (previously on a Heckler) and they are awesome forks. I find them better (damping-wise) than Rockshock and Fox, but that is IMO.

I'm only upgrading to the new 2010 versions to get the thru axle, but have heard the Absolute+ damping is even better than absolute :o).

Other good thing about the Minutes is that they are pretty lightweight as well.

br
    Free Member

If you buy 36's s/h, budget at least £100 for a service.

Based upon my Talas 36's over the last few years.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Forgot about Lyriks. Sound more like what I want over Pikes/Revs.

I thought Wotans might be a bit OTT – what are they like compared to Lyriks?

Hmmm, the Minutes seem like an interesting proposition. Might look into them a bit more but only 140mm……

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

I've just got some Marz 66 RC's quite cheap second hand. They're soooo smooth, it's like no other fork I've ever rode with. Travel is adjustable from 150-170mm's too. Not 'that' light, but well worth the extra few grams 🙂

si-wilson
    Free Member

I have 1 set of TALAS 36 2010 forks if your interested? Much cheaper than anywhere else too 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

I can confirm that 66RC's are fantastic as are 66VF2's. You can pick them up dirt cheap too. They are heavy but they run forever with little maintenance.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Those 66's weigh loads and are very tall so wouldnt be fit for your bike at all if its a 4x style bike. Z1's would be better if your after marzocchis

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Thats another option… the Z1 RCV (?) – that orange special edition one they did. Might look for one of those…

Si – unless we're talking £250'ish, it'll be waaaaaaaaaay outta my price range!

I_Ache
    Free Member

My VF"'s have a lower a-c than 36s when set at 150mm so no they arnt very tall.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, the RC's were the tall ones, from 2005 I think.

stoney
    Free Member

DaveyBoyWonder,

YGM.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What forks? 140mm>160mm? 20/15mm? Trail-bike-able?’ is closed to new replies.