Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What fork for long travel 29er hardtail?
  • JackHammer

So I bought a Fireeye Hot Trail 29er frame a while back and have slowly been collecting bits to build it up. Build is going to be short stem wide bars, wide rims etc. so it’s following all the trends/fashion 🙄

I’ve got to the point where I’m buying forks and I’m trying to figure out what I need/want.

The frame is recommended to run 130-150mm travel up front, I’m thinking of going dead center and getting something with 140mm.

I’ve bought wheels with a 15mm front hub, so that’s a requirement.

I originally wanted to run pikes up front as I have those on my other bike and they’ve been the go to enduro/AM/do-it-all for fork a while.

I’ve also been eyeing up revelations, but I’m worried they’ll be too spindly.

Then out of nowhere this Yari fork has appeared and then there’s also Sektor gold RL’s to think about too.

I havent really looked at the fox range as they’re usually really expensive, but I’m not adverse to them. Same with other brands.

Budget is going to be topping out a £400ish so Pikes will probably be secondhand unless there are mega deals about.

Also there’s this offset thing, I’m assuming “standard” will be fine?

Please help lol.

honourablegeorge

140 Pikes for me. From Alltricks with code DIMAX for 10% off first order. Close to £400. I went for 51 offset as my frame is extra slack.

JackHammer

Just tried that code, think it’s out of date. Ah well.

modig
    Free Member

Might give the code “BOOM” a try at alltricks. But I think it’s only 10% extra for items already on sale.

EDIT:On topic: I ran a 140 mm Rev on a Singular Buzzard end never felt under gunned (but I’m fairly light and don’t have a lot of hills to go down). It was much stiffer than the 120 mm X-Fusion Slide it replaced (but that was 9 mm QR and straight 1 1/8 steerer so not a fair comparison).

/Johan

chestrockwell

The current Revs are good and miles better than the Sektors which are pretty basic. Pike obviously tops the Revs.

Don’t discount the Fox as they can come in cheap due to people believing the (false IMO) hype. Plenty of pairs about that people have taken off new bikes that come in under budget. I paid £300 for a pair of unused 34’s that are at least as good, if not better than my mates Revs.

honourablegeorge

You need to be logged in for DIMAX to work

JackHammer

Ok so sektors are off the list then.

What makes the Revs worse than a Pike? The weights appear fairly close, so whats the point of the rev?

Anyone had any real world experience of a Yari?

They bike will be used in and around South Wales mostly. Plan is to have it as a winter beater, to save my poor kona process from getting trashed again.

Gotama
    Free Member

Yes, I bought a Yari recently from Loco tuning who I would recommend. Overall, particularly for the money, I’m very impressed with it. It perhaps doesn’t feel as composed as my MRP Stage but it’s hard to tell. Incidentally I can’t tell the difference between the Yari and a friend’s Pike. This may obviously be a reflection of my sensitivity to suspension set up and I tend to like forks pretty hard with a lot of ramp up which may negate the benefits of the more advanced charger damper. That said I don’t recall many people bemoaning the moco damper before the charger came out so it can’t be all bad and I certainly can’t see it slowing me down.

danti

X fusion Trace 34mm stanchions, cheaper and lighter than Pikes if you’re using only for winter.

JackHammer

Interesting to know about the Yari, tbh I had Pike RCs originally and I couldnt tell the difference between them and RCT3 or whatever the pikes i have now are.

Why are the Xfusions better for winter, or is just a case of they’re cheaper = better value for money?

chestrockwell

Depends how you define worse. The revs are not as stiff and use a cheaper damper. They’ll be perfectly sound for a second bike though, as will the other recommendations.

danti

X fusions are cheaper

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’ve just gone from a 150mm Rev to a Yari. The Rev only has 32mm stanchions so they tend to flex at longer travel.

The Yari has really surprised me and won the test out of 10 forks in this months What Mountain Bike. Supposedly stiffer than a Pike, but with a more basic damper.

Unless you’re sensitive to suspension, they reckoned the Charger damper only shone above the Motion Control on longer, rougher descents.

JackHammer

Yeah, definitely a case of me wanting the “best of best sir with honours”

Been offered some year old revs for £200 look alright nick from the photos and I’ll go and collect them so can give them a once over in person too. Reckon that’s a good price?

JackHammer

actually they’re 2014 ones

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have a set of 2013 revs and a set of 2014 pikes.

Yeah, the revs are a bit bendier, yeah the damping isn’t quite as good, but after 5 minutes riding them, I forget.

Pikes are better, but the gains are not as big as people would have you beleive. If I had the choice of Revs @ £200 and pikes @ £400, ID probably take the Revs.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What fork for long travel 29er hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.