Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)
  • What folding knife?
  • Cougar

Three pages and no-one’s asked,

WTF do you need a folding knife for on a picnic? Grab a steak knife out of the cutlery drawer and hoy it into the picnic basket.

Here’s my little collection of pocket knives

I like knives and I admire your collection. But I can’t help but think, if you’d found the right one, you wouldn’t have a collection. (-:

Until the knife law revision I’d carried a (now massively illegal) lock knife since my early teens, mostly because my granddad carried a pen knife and it seemed a sensible (and at the time ‘grown-up’) thing to have with me. As an adult geek I carry all manner of crap around with me these days, but my pen knife is a SAK.

cozz
    Free Member

my favourite is my kershaw ken onion

Cougar

I was into him before he was famous.

finbar
    Free Member

Wow, having that many pocket knives isn’t creepy at all 😯

Cougar

Moreover, how many pockets does CZ have?!

(Especially if you include pocket torches…)

wilburt
    Free Member

How has this thread gone on so long?

Just buy an Opinel.

fruitbat

Or just buy the tomato ready sliced 😆

epicyclo

MrSmith – Member
    go big or go home

That’s not a knife… 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

Same dress sense though. 😆

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

CountZero

And how could I have forgotten my SAK I bought somewhere around ’79-80, or my Cold Steel Explorer Tanto folder…

epicyclo

MrSmith – Member
    Same dress sense though.

That was me heading out bush in Oz. What was his excuse?

CountZero

Wow, having that many pocket knives isn’t creepy at all

Explain? It’s not like I collect combat knives, or swords, or anything that’s specifically intended as a weapon, I’ve built that lot up over roughly forty years, the SAK being one example, the four Spyderco knives on the left are all at least twenty years old, the CoPilot, third one up on the left, was discontinued after 9/11, I think I bought that one somewhere around ’93-95, it was the only knife that could be legally carried onto an aircraft in the US up ’til then, hence the name.
    I like knives as useful, well designed tools, and I’ve built up a small collection, all of those have been used and carried at some point, but increased paranoia about ‘knife crime’ has meant that most don’t leave the house any more, the yellow Tasman Hawksbill Salt used to go with me every time I went out for a ride, the perfect tool for quickly slicing off overhanging brambles and briars on cycle paths, as I was a Sustrans Ranger, and the stretch I covered was old railway line with loads of bushes alongside, so with that knife, all I needed to do was stop and just slash through in one cut, a brilliant tool.
    It’s designed for fishermen to carry on trawlers and fishing boats for cutting through netting and the like.
    Brambles stand no bloody chance!

Scapegoat

Don’t you come on here with your “good reasons” Countzero, we want to fret over that which we don’t understand…….

CountZero

Don’t you come on here with your “good reasons” Countzero, we want to fret over that which we don’t understand…

😆
    Careful, or I’ll post pictures of my fixed-blade knives, and the WW2 US Marines folding machete that my dad brought back from the Far East.
    No idea how he got it, but he had a Kukhri as well, and he served with Gurkhas while out there, until he was incarcerated in a Japanese POW camp, so it’s entirely possible he was given them both after being released.
    Sadly, I’ll never know the background now.
    😀
    Simple fact is though that I only carry the little keyring Ladybug, and the Pingo with the blue G10 scales, because of the paranoia about locking blades, although I occasionally carry the CRKC Pilar, I reckon I could just about get away with the frame-lock on that, but the Pingo is legal in Denmark and they’re far stricter than we are.
    I can just imagine trying to explain why I’m carrying the Tasman Hawksbill; “honestly, officer, its to hack down those evil brambles over there…” 😀

simondbarnes

Has the OP purchased an Opinel yet?

MrSmith
    Free Member

That was me heading out bush in Oz. What was his excuse?

going alligator wrestling/a date/the mall for donuts*

*delete as appropriate

ratherbeintobago

Has the OP purchased an Opinel yet?

Not yet, no.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I comes down to what you want. I don’t need my £££ knife but i wanted it and don’t treat myself often.
    I blame the Boy Scouts

finbar
    Free Member

Explain?

Don’t you come on here with your “good reasons” Countzero, we want to fret over that which we don’t understand…….Don’t you come on here with your “good reasons” Countzero, we want to fret over that which we don’t understand…….

This, pretty much 😀

Come to think of it I have three pocket knives – an A Wright & Son, because it’s made in the city where I live, a Leatherman, and a cheap and nasty Rolsen from Toolstation or somewhere daft which I don’t care about (and is consequently the one that gets used all the time).

epicyclo

MrSmith – Member
    ‘That was me heading out bush in Oz. What was his excuse?’
    going alligator wrestling/a date/the mall for donuts*

🙂

I was going pig hunting. My son is married to a South Sea islander and we were having a hungi the next day.
    Didn’t take the claymore though. It’s a bit clumsy in thick bush when you’re running after a pig to cut its throat. 🙂

beanum

DrJ – Member
    Only thing it lacks is a bottle opener..
    So what friggin’ use is it?

I can confirm you can open a beer easily with the Victorinox Alpineer using the spoon method, open the corkscrew and use the flat part inside… 🙂

Lifehack – Open a beer bottle with a spoon

Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘What folding knife?’ is closed to new replies.