Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What external hard drive?
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

My PC is getting quite old and badly needs a windows re install. Can anyone recommend a half decent external hard drive for backing up? It doesn’t need to be that big, maybe up to 500 GB or something. Cheers.

chewkw
    Free Member

From Maplin – Seagate 500GB 2.5″ FreeAgent® GoFlex™ Ultra-portable Hard Drive. Can easily upgrade to USB3 if you want.

This one @ £79.99.

I have one which is permanently connected to my PC …

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Ok thanks. Are there cheaper ones just for occasional use rather than permanent connection?

chewkw
    Free Member

GiantJaunt – Member

Ok thanks. Are there cheaper ones just for occasional use rather than permanent connection?

Yes, it’s portable and it’s up to you whether you want to plug it in permanently like me or use it when you want by plugin into the USB port. There are cheaper one but I got mine on sale at that time.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Here you go: Bit cheaper… http://bit.ly/JmxZId

Matt24k
    Free Member

I am a regular user of external drives and have found that as the prices come down so does the reliability/bouncibilty. The cheaper they are the less likely they are to survive a fall. Working on boats means that I crash test them more than most. Freecom tough drives are strong. I have killed 2 other drives and this rugged little sucker is still going strong. USB3 is a major step up if your laptop supports it, way faster transfer speeds.
    If it is for one off use can’t you borrow one from a friend?

argoose
    Free Member

I use a 500 Gb Toshiba HDD bout £50 from Comet/Currys/PC world.
    Stores all my music and photos.
    Used to work in Japaese electronics industry, Toshiba was quite a good brand.
    As everything is assembled in China now it’s a bit samey samey now

Cougar

If it is for one off use can’t you borrow one from a friend?

If it’s a one-off, have you no other PCs in the house?

Though of course, having backups of your stuff is a good idea. Disks can die suddenly and catastrophically.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I just have the one PC which I think is about to die. I’ve decided to keep my music and pics all on an external drive so I don’t loose them if the time comes and I think it’s good practice anyway.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What external hard drive?’ is closed to new replies.