Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • What effing rim do wtb nano and resolute fit??????? Going crazy here!!!!!
  • fenboy

I’ve been repeatedly trying to fit 700c x 40 nanos and 42c resolutes to both stans arch rims and kinesis crosslights and they are so tight it’s virtually impossible to get the final tyre bead to go over. I’ve snapped 4 tyre levers and punctured 6…… yes 6 tubes…… over 3 sessions of trying to fit them. not going tubeless yet as trying to work out 2 wheelsets one for “allroad” and one for gravel duties but I’ve almost given up and about to burn all the tyres! Am I wasting my time trying to get them to fit!!!! Or any tips?

Poopscoop

Isn’t there a tool you can get to feed the bead over right rims?

Someone on here will know it’s name. I seem to remember it being said to work very well?

harvey
    Free Member

yep, agree with the nanos, a complete PITA to fit and even harder to fit tubeless. (on a dtswiss rim)

scotroutes

I’ve fitted Nano 700x40s on loads of rims. Can’t say I’ve ever had a problem.

swanny853

Really easy on a wtb rim. Stan’s rims and wtb tyres is basically a tolerance overlap that doesn’t work.

rOcKeTdOg

Resolutes Easy on 700c bonty & DT rims. Also on a set of kinesis rims coincidentally

hardtailonly

Resolutes easy on Hunt rims.

darkroomtim
    Free Member

Yeah I run nano 40’s tubeless on 700c Cannondale disk 2.0 rims – and yeah was quite an effort – ended up having to use a metal dh lever to get them on.

joemmo
    Free Member

Nano went on my H+Son Archetype rims easily enough and went up tubeless without a problem but I can’t get one of them seated without a bit of a wobble in it. Bit annoying

tthew

If they are that hard to fit in easy conditions at home, what’s your plan for a puncture when you are out? Get different tyres IMHO.

pigyn
    Free Member

Even if you aren’t tubeless (but you may as well) then use real tubeless tape so it’s nice and slippy. Soap it up a bit then make sure the tyre is popped into the middle of the rim. With tubes start at the valve, tubeless end at the valve

fudge9202
    Free Member

Mine popped on WTB Sti25 TCS rims in a jiffy mind you needed topping up with stans liquid the next day but have been faultless since.

burko73

I got some nanos on some love mud orbit wheels 700c. I couldn’t get them on the cotic own brand rims for love nor m9ney.

plus-one

Resolutes on clement wheels no probs

wait4me

Hunt wheels. Resolute on front went up with a track pump. Nano on back has got a tube in, and a lot of my sweat. Both easy to get on rims. Nano just wouldn’t seat. Even tubes need 100psi to seat bead before getting the pressure reduced.

fenboy

Thanks guys, one more try tomorrow but as tthew said worried about what I’d do with a puncture 30miles from home! If it doesn’t work I’ll dig a hole and bury the f@@@@ckers! Didn’t have any problems with black nanos just the tan wall ones seem unbelievably tight in comparison!!!!!

piemonster

Really easy on a wtb rim

I found WTB Nanos and WTB i21 rims to be a complete pair of total ******* bellends tbh.

It’s the only time I’ve ever struggled to fit any tyre to any rim in 25 years of regular cycling.

They’re a pair of ****!

piemonster

If they are that hard to fit in easy conditions at home, what’s your plan for a puncture when you are out?

For me, it’s likely a long walk and or a phone call. I also need to carry around to square edged bits of wood.

PJay
    Free Member

I had a similar experience with WTB Riddler 45Cs on Hope XC rims (WTB tyres and some rims just don’t seem to play nicely). In the end I found a technique on the internet that involved slowly working any slack in the tyre around to the area of the tyre you were working on and slowly fitting them inch by inch.

If you do get them on, your next problem may be trying to get them seated; I couldn’t and the LBS ended up applying copious GT85 to the beads and pumping them up to over 100psi before they popped on!!

If it’s any consolation, they did loosen up slightly over time once fitted and ridden.

13thfloormonk

Resolutes on Bonty rims here, went on easily enough but don’t seat well, if I punctured far from home I think I could limp back with a fairly wobbly tire…

cp

Nano’s on wtb frequency i19 no problems at all.

rOcKeTdOg

If it doesn’t work I’ll dig a hole and bury the f@@@@ckers!

Don’t, send the resolutes to me

trail_rat
    Free Member

Steel beaded wtb tires are slack as hell by comparison. .

Wtb nano steels I have on the commuter pretty much self dismount if you get a flat.

The trail boss TCS Kevlar I have on my big bike needs park steel 8 inch tire levers to get it over o

molgrips
    Free Member

In the end I found a technique on the internet that involved slowly working any slack in the tyre around to the area of the tyre you were working on and slowly fitting them inch by inch.

That’s the standard method isn’t it?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Nah I normally just will them on with my mind.

hooja
    Free Member

Both easy to fit on hope 20fives but impossible to keep air in… I have tried everything but still have to pump them up for every ride

jameso

nanos and 42c resolutes to both stans arch rims and kinesis crosslights

Dunno about the Kinesis-branded rims and you did say black wall WTBs were fine, but rims vary also, Stans are larger / tighter fit than most as that’s how they get them to work. DT, WTB, Shimano etc all easier to work with ime. A tight/close fit tyre on a WTB or Shimano rim can be a proper PITA on Stans.

PJay
    Free Member

In the end I found a technique on the internet that involved slowly working any slack in the tyre around to the area of the tyre you were working on and slowly fitting them inch by inch.

That’s the standard method isn’t it?

I don’t know, is it? With reasonably slack tyres I’ve always just worked around the tyre in a circle until all the bead is on the rim. With the WTBs I ended up with around 8″ of bead still outside of the rim that I simply couldn’t shift; the technique suggested (that was slow but eventually worked) was to start at a point on the tyre opposite the stuck section working the slack around to that point which finally allows another cm or so of bead to be moved into place – then the process was repeated until everything was finally sorted.

It’s perfectly possible that I’ve been doing it wrong all these years.

robertpb
    Free Member

I’ve never had a problem fitting Nanos or Resolutes to DT Swiss M1900 wheels, they go on easy with my Topeak levers.

jakd95
    Free Member

It’s a WTB tyre/Stans rim thing from experience, they’re just really tight together. I struggled with Horizons on Crests and Rangers on Flows, whereas I normally have no problem with tyres. Took an hour to get two Rangers off the Flows a couple of weeks ago, I was close to just cutting them off. Then put the Rangers on WTB i25 rims and they went on by hand in about 30s. One bonus of the ultra tight fit though is that they went up tubeless with a hand pump, but I’d have been screwed trying to fit a tube out on a ride so swapped the WTB tyres out.

scotroutes

I’ve been doing it wrong all these years.

But now you know.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

WTB Cross boss we’re too tight to go on Stans Iron Cross rims for me.
    OP I’d just put those tyres in a box somewhere and buy something else. At some point in the future you may find a use for them or someone you know will.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

My Nanos go up on Alex Volare rims without even sniffing at a lever

I had a pair of Schwalbe Big Bens that broke levers and 45 mins plus of my patience on two rim brands (odd wheels). Solution was to get a third party and a set of Pedros levers. Once seated I realised I’d be stuffed if a tube punctured so sent the tyres back.

Pedros levers are worth the dosh.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Thanks guys, one more try tomorrow but as tthew said worried about what I’d do with a puncture 30miles from home! If it doesn’t work I’ll dig a hole and bury the f@@@@ckers! Didn’t have any problems with black nanos just the tan wall ones seem unbelievably tight in comparison!!!!!

All this hassle just to make your bike uglier?.

jameso

the technique suggested (that was slow but eventually worked) was to start at a point on the tyre opposite the stuck section working the slack around to that point which finally allows another cm or so of bead to be moved into place – then the process was repeated until everything was finally sorted.

It’s perfectly possible that I’ve been doing it wrong all these years.

You did also work the tyre on from the opposite side of the valve … didn’t you? : ) The valve stops the tyre sinking into the rim depression and makes if a fair bit tighter to get on, so leave that bit to last.
    Of all the people I see fixing flats on group rides, very few use that technique to re-fit a tyre the easy way. Like it’s some old forgotten technique.

fenboy

Nobeerinthefridge…… maybe but its a singular kite and the ONLY tyres that look right on it are tanwalls, something to do with the frame colour!! also required for the current ‘gravel-hipster vibe’.

An update of sorts…. I now have panaracer pasela pts (tanwalls) on the crosslight wheels went on by hand! I have one resolute on the front stans rims inflated, not sure i’ll ever get it off now. and one nano on the rear rim but with another punctured tube in it…. will deal with it tonight!!! all brute force and a little help from a vice and washing up liquid plus lots of cussin’! thanks again for the input! now wheres the savlon for my knuckles……….

fenboy

All this hassle just to make your bike uglier?.

boombang
    Free Member

40 Nanos on a DT Swiss R24 rim went on without levers and inflated tubeless easily (one on a track pump the other with a shot off my inflator).

kcal

@trail_rat – would steel bead make difference?
    Can’t get TCS Nanos on any 700 rims in shed, could be they’re just new but close to breaking point! Me and tyre levers…

Vortexracing

I run nano 40’s tubeless on 700c Stans Iron Cross with no probs

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘What effing rim do wtb nano and resolute fit??????? Going crazy here!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.