Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • what do you oil your fork stachions with ( if at all )
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

my rock shock reba race forks state in there ( ridiculously small time framed) service intervals that the stachions should be lightly oiled to keep the seals from drying out.makes sence to me but i cant be bothered to buy a bottle of fork oil just to put a smearing on every few months.it says dont use wd40 or simular so any recommendations/ cheap solutions?

Onzadog
    Free Member

fork oil is a cheap solution. A litre bottle from a motorycle shop is only going to be a few quid and will last forever if you’re just using a few ml at a time.

I use Finish Line stanchion lube but it’s way more expensive than fork oil.

Driller
    Free Member

I’ve always used Dry Teflon (chain etc) lube as advised by my LBS some time ago. Clean bike, apply lube to stanchions, cycle forks up and down a couple of times and wipe off excess.

Keeps them running nice and smooth.

I understand there are specific products out there, but this has always worked for me.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

PTFE chain lube is usually recommended. Its what I use. If you’ve scraped the bottle along a dirty chain, make sure its clean before you run the lube onto the stantions.

odannyboy
    Free Member

i have some motorcycle fork oil somewhere i belive.good suggestion!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Fork oil, finsh line chain lube, or my personal favourite – Castrol Edge Fully synthetic 5-30 SAE much more slippery than fork oil and a bit more slippery than finish line.

Olly
    Free Member

finish line dry.

no GT85 or WD40, i dont KNOW if it does any damage, but as finishline dry is reccomended, dont see the point in risking it with something else

hora
    Free Member

Ive just stored my forks upside down. Then again. I never own forks for long enough for the seals to dry out!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I use Tri-flow lubricant, you can get it from some Archery stores.

Used it since, I read somewhere a Manitou team mechanic swore by it.

http://www.triflow.co.uk

strike
    Free Member

I use Wurth silicone spray

thomthumb
    Free Member

fork oil – i bought some to service some pikes in a rush – it wasn;t the right weight (but its only foir lubing the spring)

so i use it for oiling fork legs (particually when new/ cheap)

TheDoog
    Free Member

WD40 and GT85 are essentially petroleum based degreasers and will eventually petrify and destroy seals. Seems everyone has a favourite lube. Im a fan of teflon.

enfht
    Free Member

Am I missing something…why risk using an oil recommended by anyone who isn’t the manufacturer?

Even your local LBS can talk bollox. What’s “recommended” will always be open to interpretation so I stick with what the manufacturer says to use, why even take the risk? Hindsight won’t fix your forks will they?

CHB

Yes you are missing something! 😉

Use Finishline lube, teflon spray, or silicone spray. Do not use WD40 or any really low viscosity penetrating spray.

TheDoog
    Free Member

You’re not really risking your forks by lubing the stanchions. It keeps the seals sweet and prevents wear. Its just a case of using what you prefer. The only danger is petroleum based lubes/degreasers. They’ll eat your seals!

younggeoff

Teflon spray’s what I normally use but I’ve got smoe triflow, might give that a try.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Finish line wet lube here. Seemed to do the job on my recently serviced fox floats as the stanchions were pristine after 18 months.

YorkshireRipper
    Free Member

TF Tuned recommend teflon based spray and I’d trust them guys with my daughter.

If I had a daughter…

mushrooms
    Free Member

Your best taking the lowers off and giving everything a clean.
    Also take the foam washers out of the seals and soak them in fresh oil.
    There is 15ml of 15wt fork oil in each side of the lowers for lubricating the bushings which will need replaced aswell.

waihiboy
    Free Member

i use GT85 quick squirt then bounce the forks a few times, wipe the excess off.

done it for years with no ill effects

catnash
    Free Member

I use belray 10w oil in my lower with slick honey packed into the bushings.

smiffkin

I’ve been reading this all with great interest as it was a question I had myself. Thanks all for your tips.
    Anyone got any tips on how to get the lube under the seals to soak the foam rings? I appreciate that you can prise up the seals, but that seems like a good way to loosen them in time.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Its rather difficult to prise up RS seals IME.

You’ll need to take the lowers off to do it. Inverting the fork once a week or so will help to refresh the oil in the foam rings.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘what do you oil your fork stachions with ( if at all )’ is closed to new replies.