• This topic has 80 replies, 52 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by flow.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • What car for £25k?
  • paulosoxo
    Free Member

zokes – Member

Well, we have a Freelander 2, and it’s great. I wouldn’t see the point of one in the UK though…
    Posted 9 hours ago #

The … at the end suggests you’re willing to explain why my car doesn’t work in the UK…

coolhandluke
    Free Member

This on Autotrader for £22500.

Drac

My guess is Paul is he lives inner city and possibly in the south so hasn’t seen proper snow.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Nissan Qashqui +2

smogmonster

/Sensible head on/. Skoda Superb 4×4 Elegance Estate oil burner. All bells and whistles, looks luurvely, and some change left over for bike bits. Probably my next car…not that i’ll be spending £25k on it. If i was feeling a bit fruity a might well look at the 3.6 litre V6 model as well.

Or an SMax Titanium X (the 240bhp one). Or an Alfa 159 Ti. Or a V70. Or an A5. Or a 5 series. Bollox, none the wiser now.

donsimon
    Free Member
    will
    Free Member

If it’s secondhand, and you want large with toys then i’d either go BMW 5 Series (535d) or Audi S6. Me personally would get a Land Rover Discovery 3. Great cars, and even better off road!

New, well i’m not sure to be honest. Probably a Skoda Octavia VRS, or a Subaru Legacy?

richmtb

I wouldn’t buy another new car, you just lose too much money.

S/H for that kind of money I’d be looking at an M5 if I needed the space for the kids or a 911 if I didn’t!

I’d have one of these – I don’t expect anyone else to agree though…

zokes
    Free Member

The … at the end suggests you’re willing to explain why my car doesn’t work in the UK…

For 99% of the year an estate is much more practical, and much better specced. The other 1%, they still work…

My guess is Paul is he lives inner city and possibly in the south so hasn’t seen proper snow.

FAIL.

(Well, not quite)….

1) I lived in a small village on the hillside above Bethesda in Snowdonia and coped just fine with heavy snow and ice in a Mondeo and a Golf. I then moved to Belmont on the moors above Bolton just in time for a foot of snow, and whilst trick, the Golf (and my wife’s old fiesta) worked fine. Most of the Freelanders in the village didn’t move anywhere for a week for some reason.

2) The “well, not quite” bit: I now live in the south – very south (in Oz), and probably use the 4wd capabilities of our Freelander at least twice a month on unsurfaced roads and 4wd tracks. Even the most remote roads in Wales and England are tarmacced, unlike here

3) We came home for xmas last year, and once I’d worked out how to turn the traction control off in the hired Focus, that worked fine in the North West and Wales during the snow.

You did ask!

smogmonster

OOOOh, forgot about that VW Pickup…they look the dogs danglies.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Plus change…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Who suggested a Rolls “and enough change to keep it running”

You’re having a laugh! Have you seen the cost of parts on those things? And thats before you ask the one person in the country who works on them how much he charges an hour. £25k might rebuild your engine. You’ll be crawling back to your audi main dealer begging him to charge you full price for everything.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Mercedes sprinter.

rogg
    Free Member

‘a’ car for £25K? Stuff that, I’d have a Fiat Dino Coupe (£15K), a Jeep Wrangler (£4K), an E36 BMW 328i for track days (£2K) and an ageing diesel estate of some description (with all the toys) for the Monday commute. All bases covered – sports car, classic, 4×4, convertible, track toy, practical-comfy-econo-load-lugger-box, and still have change for insurance and bacon sandwiches.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Depending on the rules of this notional 25k to spend I’d prolly by a van and get it campered out. The sprinter on page 1 looks good but too lux for my tastes

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Who suggested a Rolls “and enough change to keep it running”

You’re having a laugh! Have you seen the cost of parts on those things? And thats before you ask the one person in the country who works on them how much he charges an hour. £25k might rebuild your engine. You’ll be crawling back to your audi main dealer begging him to charge you full price for everything.

😆

True though. Even if you did all the work yourself ittud still cost you a fortune. But even a beat up old Roller is better than an Audi, any day.

Imagine turning up at Swinley with a Roller, right, parking it next to all the Mundane-Mobiles. 😀

I mean, come on…

br
    Free Member

It’d have to be s/h to be at all decent.

Merc E500 or CL500, BMW = 535d or 650i, Proper Range Rover, Audi RS6 (with V10), Jag XK8R or XFR

Plus I wouldn’t be spending it all, as would need some wiggle-room for running costs.

And those VW pick-up things – saw one yesterday, a bit too Mid-West ie not on the small size.

njee20
    Free Member

Either a second hand Audi A5 3.0 TDI (I know, I know, but I really like them) or a VW Scirocco 2.0 TDI.

molgrips
    Free Member

I wholeheartedly agree with njee20 🙂

Imagine turning up at Swinley with a Roller

I would not be able to afford to drive to Swinley.

landcruiser
    Free Member

Won’t get blocked in at Swinley Car Park !

http://www.unimogs.co.uk/machinedetail.asp?searchstring=U1062

🙂

M6TTF
    Free Member

old roller.. i’d rather walk!

larrystumbles
    Free Member

“It’s got to be family suitable, comfy, refined and have toys”…. a second hand Maserati Quattroporte can be had for less than 25k these days. Thats what i’d have

flow
    Free Member

Audi RS4 4.2 V8 Avant would do me nicely.

Fast, comfy, big, extremely well built, lots of toys etc

Mmmmm, carbon.

ski
    Free Member

If someone put a gun to my head and said spend £25k on a family car, I would blow it on a Subaru Legacy, not that I know much about cars

The one that passed me today, sounded very nice & its not as common as some of the other German brands 😉

flow
    Free Member

Problem with (most) jap cars is the interior is absolutely shocking.

geebus
    Free Member

Seeing that you don’t mention new of fuel economy in your initial post – E60 BMW M5.

Tad over 500hp and rear wheel drive. All the electronics to keep that in line. Pretty much all the toys you could want – I know the previous one had double glazing, for instance (not sure if the E60 does.)

Or get a loan for £10k to get a £35k Ferrari 360. Sure, you may then only be able to see the kids at weekends and only take one at a time, but you’ll be the coolest dad ever :).

njee20
    Free Member

Hmmm I must say the interior of that RS4 makes me feel all funny inside. In a good way. Just sooooo expensive to run!

iDave
    Free Member

If I was forced to spend that much on a new car, I’d get a diesel Skoda Superb estate (4×4)

lodious
    Free Member

Just been through similar problem, was going to buy a6 3.0 quattro avant… Got smax instead, and boy have i f***ed up.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I’ve had two £25k cars (granted I didn’t spend that on either of them, but that’s what the list price was when they were new).

BMW320d Touring
    Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

BMW was too small for my drums, really, but otherwise excellent. Saab was lovely but the service bills were getting silly. £600+ for a cambelt change.

for my next car, I certainly won’t be spending £25k. maybe a tenth of that. Maybe up to a fifth.
    And I certainly wouldn’t go anywhere near Saab, BMW, Audi, Mercedes unless someone else was paying the bills. All fine cars I’m sure but parts are stupidly expensive

Dancake
    Free Member

Buy a second-hand Skoda and spend the change on a Jones or similarly overpriced pointless pile of tat

molgrips
    Free Member

Seeing that you don’t mention new of fuel economy in your initial post

It’s just about the only car thread where I haven’t mentioned fuel economy 🙂

It’s a priority. How much are Jag XF diesels?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Get a Rolls Royce Mol!

Then, right, when boring people ask you ‘what do you drive’, you can say ‘a Roller, innit!’

And if you’re worried about fuel consumption, then just do what they do in Cuba, and bung a smaller engine in it.

When I am rich I am going to buy a Rolls and pimp it, lowrider stylee. Then, right, when other people at Swinley and that try to look down there noses at me with disdain for being so vulgar, I can just flip a corner at them!

Or how about, and Mrs Grips will appreciate this, turning up in one of these:

Eh? Eh?? 😀

hughjardon
    Free Member

BMW Alpina D3 Bi turbo Estate

Should be able to get a fairly new one for that, best real world everyday car IMHO

Oh I’ve gone and given myself a stiffy now 😆

jumping_flea
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered one of these to replace my Mondeo

I was looking at the VW 4×4 pick up but the fuel costs for 600 miles a week put me off

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

[quoteIf I was posh I’d probbly have a staircase what went up, then just came down again without any purpose.

I’m not posh though which is probbly why don’t understand the concept[/quote]

That’s the staircase up to a park circus in Glasgow if im not mistaken. Not too posh then.

cookeaa

Driven a couple of exeo’s (had one last week from enterprise) and a V70….

V70 shits all over the exeo so much nicer to drive and a much more pleasant car to be in generally. Trouble is its not worth having anything but the 2.4 diesel once you add some toys to that it goes over 25k (new) used they’re an utter steal generally. IMO of course…..

boblo
    Free Member

@jumping flea. Is that a Passat? The front’s a bit grim innit? 🙁

M5 or AMG E class mmmmm. 🙂

jumping_flea
    Free Member

@boblo – yep its the new Passat. I quite like it (hence the order). Couldn’t fault the mondeo thats on its way back, just fancied a change and the fuel economy from the 2.0l 140hp diesel will save me a few quid. Similar models take a step down to a 1.6d to get close fuel consumption

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘What car for £25k?’ is closed to new replies.