Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Wharncliffe
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Is it worth a day-trip from down south? I am thinking of paying a visit, but will be on my own so will probably go there and back in a day. Are the trails easy to find? I fancy giving the dh tracks a go, either that, or some technical xc.

matthew_h
    Free Member

How far south will you be coming from? I wouldn't really say it was worth a trip on its own. Itsgoodbut not a proper trail centre and some of the xc loop has been blocked by the current felling. The DH tracks are good and a number are easy enough to find once you're there.

mikey74
    Free Member

I'd be coming from a bit south of London. I might be able to stay the night somewhere cheap and ride somewhere else in the vacinity.

sax_widby
    Free Member

wharney is worth coming for some free DH, so long as you don't trash the place. Don't go for XC, you may aswell go to the peaks.

daveh
    Free Member

Best with a guide.

mikey74
    Free Member

I'd be happy to just hit the dh trails. What is the climb/push to the top like?

djglover
    Free Member

I live in London and have been twice, but only combined with a trip with work or to see family in Leeds. It is good, very good, but there are better missions available within the same distance. Hopton, Abercarn, Mtn Ash, etc

mikey74
    Free Member

Hopton, Abercarn, Mtn Ash

Where? who? what? 😀

matthew_h
    Free Member

Mikey, if you do come up let me know and I'll meet you and show you round. You can email me at matthew@screamingjaffa.co.uk

It's great if we've had a dry spell (unlikely I know), but you will need some local knowledge. The push back up from any point is never massive, but what it has is a massive variety of XC and DH trails in such a compact area. It's only a couple of miles end to end, but the variety of the ups and downs is fantastic.

I'd travel 45 mins from my front door, but a trip from darn sarf, no. Go to Hope/Ladybower instead.

mikey74
    Free Member

Cheers Matthew, I may well do that.

Are the routes around Hope/Ladybower well marked? What are they like?

thepodge
    Free Member

no, you'll need a map, and you'll need a guide for wharncliffe. its supposed to be dry this week so i think i'll pop up my self

Whitish
    Free Member

I shall be up at Wharny later on this week too. I think it's worth the journey, personally. Not regularly, but once in a while. It would be worth going with someone who knows where they're going though. You'll get the most out of it then.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Abercarn? I thought that track was put beyond use at least 12 months

thepodge
    Free Member

I've not been up since the weekender, it'll be interesting to see how the track has faired

mikey74
    Free Member

Does he mean Cwm Carn? Isn't it just down the road, or am I thinking of somewhere else?

Whitish: Thanks for that. I think I will try and make it up sometime – not sure when though.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Cwmcarn and Abercarn are indeed ten minutes from each other.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Wharncliffe’ is closed to new replies.