Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Wharncliffe
  • freeridenick
    Free Member

Possible trip there this weekend. Easy to find the trails?
    How long is the push/ride up?

cheers
    Nick

_tom_
    Free Member

The first time I went was a few years ago and it was the first time I’d ever tried downhilling. Loved it but it felt like a long push up. Looking back it probably wasn’t, I was just very unfit and fairly new to any kind of proper hills. I went with someone who knew the area. The trails don’t seem too hard to find though, there’s a fire road that they all end up on at some point I think, so you can follow that up and look for the trails on the sides of the road.

slackman99
    Free Member

Very easy to find the trails. Follow the red route from the main car park and then when you start seeing trails head off down the hill on your left, pick one.

I went for the first time a few weeks ago. Great fun. First time in ages where i’ve had that nervous feeling on the downhills. A lot are properly tech and steep. Good fun! They all seem to cross each other part way down, so going straight on, left or right will yield a different run each time.

freeridenick
    Free Member

great thanks. easy to find the push up?

simonm
    Free Member

http://www.wharncliffe.info has some basic maps on how to find the DH trails.. they all end on Plank gate.

jackthedog
    Free Member

What sort of riding are you after? Are you on DH bikes?

freeridenick
    Free Member

steep and tech.
    DH/AM bikes

jackthedog
    Free Member

Good. If you’re not bothered about getting miles in it certainly makes it easier. Linking trails up in Wharny is where it gets difficult.

Best bet is to find some riders who look local and ask them where the DH stuff is. It all pretty much runs between the middle and bottom fire roads – called Old Yew Gate and Plank Gate on Google Maps, though there’s no reference to those names on the ground.

Nothing really sign posted, so find your way to the steep bit and if it looks good ride down it.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Yep, happy to lap the DH.

thanks for the info – looking forward to it as should be pretty dry by then? 😀

jackthedog
    Free Member

I was in there on Sunday and the bike didn’t need a wash afterwards, which is very rare for Wharny, so if we have the good rest of week we’ve been forecast then it’ll probably be as good as it gets in there.

Enjoy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Folow the red route out of the top car park (hard work on a DH bike, fun on a 5-6″ bike), at soem point it comes to a fire road crossroads and the red route goes diagnoaly off this, folow it, dont try and skip it allong the fire road you’ll end up lost/at the bottom of the hill.

Recomend starting on the fast track for a warmup, the rest are tighter/steeper/twistier and mainly follow the push up track (so watch out on the way up as most tracks seem to cross it or go down it between sections).

Push up isn’t too bad, probably rideable on an AM bike.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Yorkshire and dust – a rare treat!

jackthedog
    Free Member

Sorry for a slight hijack here freeridenick…

thisisnotaspoon – Which is the one being referred to as push up track?

Straight up the middle of the fast track and out at the rocky gulley at the top?

Ie what was, back in the day, known itself as the Fast Track before all the building started?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I think he’s talking about what we call the Land Rover track as lots of DH’s cross this. Obvious wide cut/gap in the trees.

The bottom is to the descenders right of the NEMBA track and the top just near the start of Peaty’s, after the rocky viewpoint at the highest point of the ‘top’ fire road (not the highest point of the woods).

jackthedog
    Free Member

In fact back on topic again RE finding the good DH stuff…

Thinking about it, if you want to get from the top car park to the top of Fast Track by just following fireroads, is it not just a case of turning Right at every major junction (of which there should be three) until you’re there?

jackthedog
    Free Member

I think he’s talking about what we call the Land Rover track as lots of DH’s cross this. Obvious wide cut/gap in the trees.

The bottom is to the descenders right of the NEMBA track and the top just near the start of Peaty’s, after the rocky viewpoint at the highest point of the ‘top’ fire road (not the highest point of the woods).

Got you.

Edit – I still refer to that as the “new bridleway”. I think I’ll start calling it the Land Rover track and get with the times.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Wharncliffe’ is closed to new replies.