Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Western Isle bike touring with family advice please
  • karnali
    Free Member

Looking at going in late august this year, 4 of us, two children aged 10 and 13, both fit and the younger one is able to do 30 miles per day the older one more. Looking to do a tour through the western isles but looking for advice on best places to go, and a 5-7 day plan, happy to stay in someplaces for a couple of nights if beaches are good and other things to do. Looking to go to fortwilliam after for a week as well for some wlaking running.

thanks in advance

Moe

I have a friend (Nicky) who runs some chalets on the Isle of Mull at Dervaig (North of the island), there are lots of lovely beaches nearby (Calgary bay is my favorite), there’s also Tobermory which the kids may recognise! The views on ferry from Oban (and no doubt the others) are stunning and the trip is worthwhile just for that!

Nicky used to holiday on the island when her lads were little and she fell in love with the place, so much so that when all the lads had flown the nest she saw the chalets for sale and went for it moved from Somerset and hasn’t looked back.

Just google ‘Glenn Houses Mull’ that’s her.

stevie750

Are you taking a car across as the ferries book up really quickly these days?

The two most amazing beaches I have ever seen are in the western isles, one in vatersay (you can stay in barra) and bernaray . For bernaray I would stay in the blackhouse, they are like rustic youth hostels.

stevie750

http://www.gatliff.org.uk
    I have stayed in these and I loved them, but as I said above they are very rustic so won’t be for everyone

karnali
    Free Member

thanks so far, no car that will be left on teh mainland

towzer

We really liked islay, day trip to colonsay was probably best (scenery, mello) bimble we’ve ever done, with a cracking beach Jura – very linear, but scenic and islay has a few more facilities than some islands which might be handy if the weather goes all Scottish,

jimmy

Recommend Gatliff at Berneray. If you like peace and quiet…

munrobiker
    Free Member

The Gatliff at Berneray is really excellent. Probably see an otter, definitely see seals.

I’d not ride any of the main roads on Skye with kids if you were thinking of going that way – the roads are too busy for their size these days and we had some hairy passes.

toby

Take advantage of one of the triangular sailing routes? Park the car at Uig on Skye, sail to Lochmaddy, then you can ride to Bernaray, sail to Leverborough on the small ferry and ride the Golden Road to Tarbert, then sail back to Uig. You can add some local exploring to the mix, but still do a “proper tour” from a to b. You also avoid the big hills and traffic on the Tarbert->Stornoway road.

Clachan Sands campsite is a beautiful spot, also Hut of Shadows at Lochmaddy is worth a visit.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi we drove the hebrides last summer in the camper from Ullapool to Lewis then all the way down and off Bara into Oban.

Lots and lots of cyclists on the island most going in the opposite direction, from south to north as this is usually the most favorable direction for a tail wing rather than a head wind. The small southern islands are quiet with a nice remote feel. There are lots of good camp sites, god places to eat but some can be quite far apart.
    Balranald springs to mind as a good place to stop off. Small family run site with good facilities a drying room and huge beaches.

https://www.balranaldhebrideanholidays.com/travel.aspx

south Uist also had a nice site with a brand new very nice bunk house. it would be a great place to stop over for a night or 2.

https://kilbride-campsite.business.site/

I posted a review of our trip on a camper web site it is not really cycling specific but may throw up a few ideas.

https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t30575-outer-hebrides-form-north-to-south

if thats not view able i can send it to you…….

karnali
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info, had a week on collonsay a few years back when eldest was 3, he loved the beach as it wasn’t busy!I’ll look at suggestions very helpful, triangular route sounds ideal

scotroutes

If you do the triangular route then I can definitely recommend Balranald.campsite on North Uist. We’ve been 4 out of the past 5 years. It’s in the middle of an RSPB reserve so take binoculars too.

Ann runs a great food cabin on site for filled rolls, cakes and scones. Mind you, she just had a payout from the Postcode Lottery so maybe she’ll put her feet up a bit this year 😊

As said, the beaches are stunning and the closest one is great for swimming.

Shops at both Bayhead and Solas are reachable by bike, as is the excellent Westford Inn.

Greybeard
    Free Member

There are two triangular routes in the Outer Isles; Uig > Lochmaddy > Tarbert > Uig as mentioned, and Oban > Castlebay > Lochboisedale > Oban.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Western Isle bike touring with family advice please’ is closed to new replies.