Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 560 total)
  • Weight loss – 5.2kg in one week!
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

He’s too fat to be a good runner. This thread and his trolling is now frankly ridiculous.

He should stick to being a good Dad and husband… it’s attainable and probably the most rewarding.

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips – give up mate.

Suck my balls.

why do you keep ignoring the suggestions about taking up running instead of cycling as something to aim for a podium in?

What kind of running? There’s no way on earth I could ever do well at 5km or above. And where on earth do they do 100/200m competitions for 36 year old men?

I’m not a bad cyclist, especially on flatter MTB courses. That’s where I tihnk I coud do well. I think I could do better still at road racing, but I don’t know where they do road races near me. I think the nearest one is Castle Coombe.

I thin I need to join a road club.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

😆

OK keep going then.

You’ve had a year to lose 10kg and lost nothing. You clearly know what you’re doing and have a valid point to make on diet and exercise. 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

You’ve had a year to lose 10kg and lost nothing. You clearly know what you’re doing and have a valid point to make on diet and exercise.

I don’t know enough, I’ve acknowleged this many times. But neither do you!

philconsequence
    Free Member

sports day, you’ll crush the competition. just glue some glitter to your hands and put some long white socks on… nobody will notice.

ok molly, do you think, honestly, you’ve got what it takes to win a mtb race? if so:

which discipline:

what distance:

what weight do you think you’d need to be:

how much training do you think you’d need to do for it:

how will you fit that training in:

if we’re all to believe in your years of scientific research and experimenting with what you’re body can and can’t handle, then you should have the knowledge that will inform your answers to the above questions and as you’ve mentioned so many times on the forum, you’re a clever guy so should have no problems in coming up with a clear plan that answers all the above.

to be honest, if you’re remotely serious about getting on a podium, you shouldn’t even have to think about the answers as you’d already be doing it, but the questions might help you build a plan to get towards your goal 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

:LOL:

I know enough to be able to gain and lose weight as I wish.

I know enough to say that you are truly useless when it comes to acheiving your fitness goals. From Torq to iDave to inactivity… hopeless.

So, my final word. Give up.

miketually
    Free Member

I’m not a bad cyclist, especially on flatter MTB courses. That’s where I tihnk I coud do well.

What results do you have so far?

emsz
    Free Member

You been trying for a year to loose 10kg!!

Really?

And you don’t think this has anything to do with the lattes, biscuits and cake?

jota180
    Free Member

I’m not a bad cyclist, especially on flatter MTB courses. That’s where I tihnk I coud do well.

You’ve simply been born the wrong nationality, you should have been Dutch – [for sure]

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

You might have a point, I am not a very good XC racer. However I would have thought it much quicker to sprint up a short steep 30s climb knowing you have a rest on the other side than to twiddle up it in the little ring…

If you are talking training here, then there’s two sessions to hills: sprinting up them for 30secs then 2min+ recovery until hr is below zone 1. The 2nd session is over geared climbs which is as it sounds. Do these often and your climbing will come on loads.

My road bike has a power meter, which I’ve had for about 5 years. I’ve got a pretty good idea of where my anaerobic threshold is and how long I can go above it and how often.

Are you still using the same watts/zones that you set 5 years ago when you 1st got your power meter or have you tested yourself regularly and changed these since training or not will affect your watts? I would suggest you get a proper ramp test done to get your zones and power set properly and train to that. Having had mine done properly has made a huge difference.

Track racing is hard to find out about but not impossible. Join a road club and look on British cycling for road races – they aren’t hard to find, there’s loads out there – i’m racing once a week atm!

FWIW, i’m on about 13 hours a week of training on the bike atm, plus 2 hours of weights, and around 3:45 hours of commuting per week. I eat biscuits as and when i want and my weight remained stable since my ramp test in April. I’ve cut back on the biscuits and have so far lost 0:8kgs in under a week without feeling hard done by. I want to increase my power to weight on the bike, so losing a bit of weight is easiest way to do this although i don’t have an awful lot that i want to lose – but i want to win and will pretty much do anything i can to help me!

trickydisco
    Free Member

I can actually hear a bit of what molly is saying. I’ve got a very good sprint kick on me that I didn’t know about till I turned up a rollapaluza night in Bristol. I’d only ever done any mountain biking and no training.. i found i could kick up to 220rpm.. fk knows where that came from

I then joined a local club and found I’m pretty good at sprinting against club mates but come at the end of a road race my legs are in pieces.. I haven’t got the stamina or endurance to sprint at the end of 60 miles.

So, yes to be good at something you need to train but for something very short like a rolling 250 on the track or being able to spin your legs fast i think there could be genetics/muscle composition at play.. I dunno i might be clutching at straws here but i hadn’t a clue why my leg speed was pretty fast when i’d done no road riding or any specific training

Also.. to add. I’ve got a few mates in the club that do extremely well on around 6 hours a week (and that’s with no training plan, heart rate monitor or power meter)

There’s a guy in the chain gang that’s nearly 40 that went from 3rd cat to elite this season and he started getting back into cycling in august! (then again he was some junior champion when he was in his teens)

nosemineb
    Free Member

I hate to jump on the bandwagon here, but its like the Tv talent show were everyone is cringing at the singer who KNOWS he is good but who just cant see/hear what everyone else can.
    I have never seen so many excuses and it saddens me.
    I fear you will continue searching and never find your sporting goal because you dont have the determination too change your life and change is only a small part of it determination, talent and desire make up some of the rest. I understand a lot of what your saying, about time with the family, love of sugary sweets im in your boat here. But what they’re saying on here is the honest truth i believe the posters are trying to support you in a harsh way to shock you in to doing something for yourself.
    I dont usually get drawn in to these threads but i lurk around many of the running threads and see your posts often.
    Can someone please start a helmet thread with Tj now and leave molgrips alone to sort himself out.
    😥

trickydisco
    Free Member

molly.. Newport is going to be shut for a bit as it’s used for the olympics for training.

They are doing some sessions at maindy in cardiff i’m told. Best to join the south west velodrome FB group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tracksessions/

Also, cardiff CC often block hire out the track on a friday night (sprint night). It’ pretty chilled and you can practice anything you want. I’d advise you do a taster session first or do a fast track course. Hire bikes are cheap to hire.

I was surprised how easy and accessible it is to get into.

Jamie
    Free Member

And where on earth do they do 100/200m competitions for 36 year old men?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TkmpeYOUYI[/video]

…2m45s for the lazy.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Mol, there’s some great short course competitions in here that you could aspire to.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TkmpeYOUYI[/video]

Edit:
    I just pressed post then thought how did I managed to double post!?, then twigged 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

Sorry, Ian. I may be rusty, due to being banned for a week, but I just have natural posting speed. I must have a high percentage of fast twitch fingers.

IanMunro
    Free Member

😀

miketually
    Free Member

I must have a high percentage of fast twitch fingers.

I’m developing a twitch as a result of reading these threads.

philconsequence
    Free Member

as for rpm, i have span at up to 206RPM in my spinning classes and thats at 06:30 with no brekky and IIRC nothing to eat the night before apart from an eccles cake and a tin of tuna with some mayo about 18hours before.

yes, yes you can have my autograph, i know i’m awesome.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Does this mean that a big belly does more thinking??

Got to be worth a watch tomorrow at 9 on BBC4.

philconsequence
    Free Member

ok molly, do you think, honestly, you’ve got what it takes to win a cycling race? if so:

which discipline:

what distance:

what weight do you think you’d need to be:

how much training do you think you’d need to do for it:

how will you fit that training in:

if we’re all to believe in your years of scientific research and experimenting with what you’re body can and can’t handle, then you should have the knowledge that will inform your answers to the above questions and as you’ve mentioned so many times on the forum, you’re a clever guy so should have no problems in coming up with a clear plan that answers all the above.

to be honest, if you’re remotely serious about getting on a podium, you shouldn’t even have to think about the answers as you’d already be doing it, but the questions might help you build a plan to get towards your goal

(Repeated so molly doesn’t forget to answer my sensible questions)

Keva
    Free Member

to be honest, if you’re remotely serious about getting on a podium, you shouldn’t even have to think about the answers as you’d already be doing it, but the questions might help you build a plan to get towards your goal

you mean dream, not goal. To get on a podium means winning a race. To win a race one has to enter it in the first place.

How many races have you got under you belt so far this year Molly and what positions have you managed, anywhere in the top 10% yet?

philconsequence
    Free Member

dont distract him from answering my questions keva!

i do agree with what you’re saying though.

molgrips
    Free Member

And you don’t think this has anything to do with the lattes, biscuits and cake?

Of course it does.

I’m not making excuses, I know I’m shit at training. At no point have I said ‘it’s not my fault because…’

All I’ve said is that for some people staying skinny is easier than for others. That’s it. It’s not blaming something else for my failure. It means just because you found it easy, don’t deride other people who find it harder.

Re Phil:

I think I should be able to win an XC race, I don’t know what category. It’s all down to weight. If I were 70kg I’d probably win the next Sport race I entered.

I have heard it said that if we lose too much weight our performance will suffer. And that ideal weight is different for different people. I really hope my ideal performance weight is less than 85kg though otherwise I really am screwed and have no chance in MTB.

molgrips
    Free Member

How many races have you got under you belt so far this year Molly and what positions have you managed, anywhere in the top 10% yet?

No races, I can’t get away for races right at the moment. Doesn’t mean I should just sit on the sofa all the time though does it?

miketually
    Free Member

If I were 70kg I’d probably win the next Sport race I entered.

I’m 68kg. I’d get lapped if I entered a XC race.

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s all down to weight. If I were 70kg I’d probably win the next Sport race I entered.

Be honest, you were chuckling while typing that.

Doesn’t mean I should just sit on the sofa all the time though does it?

Why not? You’re a natural.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, I’m not likley to ever be 70kg…

Yeti’s link is interesting. Hunger can affect your brain it seems.. and make you forget about dieting and mtb racing…

Why not? You’re a natural.

Bellend alert.

philconsequence
    Free Member

I think I should be able to win an XC race, I don’t know what category. It’s all down to weight. If I were 70kg I’d probably win the next Sport race I entered.

I have heard it said that if we lose too much weight our performance will suffer. And that ideal weight is different for different people. I really hope my ideal performance weight is less than 85kg though otherwise I really am screwed and have no chance in MTB.

ok, so do you feel that loosing 10kg would be bad or good for your racing prospects?

Jamie
    Free Member

Bellend alert.

I appear to have touched a nerve.*

*Possibly gut based.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i am sub 70 kg it does not mean i am super fit

philconsequence
    Free Member

Yeti’s link is interesting. Hunger can affect your brain it seems.. and make you forget about dieting and mtb racing…

its not saying anything new, anything we haven’t discussed in diet threads before…. and the advice about eating slowly is as old as using tapeworms to lose weight.

the link never said it’d make people forget about dieting or exercise, did you write that to provoke a response or did you forget a 😆 to indicate you’re joking? cos there are people trying to help here…

trickydisco
    Free Member

molgrips xc race description

There’ll be a mad rush at the start and you’ll go off too fast and be in pain after a few minutes. So then you’ll slow down to a sensible pace and still be in pain. Lots of fast people will fly by you at this point. So from 5 minutes in you are going to be on a nice bike ride around the woods. You may see some people from time to time, but you won’t quite know if they are in your race or not so you will chase them down but be unsure if you should be pleased or not.

After 30-40 mins you’ll be tired and think ‘oh crud I’m only half way!’

Then after an hour or so you will get cramp and have to slow down some more. When you get to the end you’ll have someone announce your name and utterly nobody will pay you any attention. You’ll ask your position and be told XXth, but you won’t know how many people were actually in your category anyway.

You’ll eagerly await the results on the website at work on Monday and then when you finally find out, your reaction will be:

‘Oh’.

Then you’ll do it all again in a few weeks

EDIT: just noticed you are entering Sport. Expect everyone to disappear inside the first 20 seconds, and your only company will be bewildered folk who didn’t realise how hardcore Sport is

I’d suggest Open for a first race unless you know you are sh*t hot!

Keva
    Free Member

No races, I can’t get away for races right at the moment. Doesn’t mean I should just sit on the sofa all the time though does it?

no it doesn’t mean you should sit on the sofa all the time but it does mean your chances of winning in sport are errrm, ‘scuse the pun, slim.

When you eventually do enter a race what bike are you going to ride ?

cheers_drive

I would like to see a change to this forum where OPs are allowed to close their own threads 💡

molgrips
    Free Member

the link never said it’d make people forget about dieting or exercise, did you write that to provoke a response or did you forget a to indicate you’re joking?

Well I’m not making a serious point, but doesn’t everyone else get that? When you’re really hungry you can only think about food like some kind of ravenous Mr Hyde…?

no it doesn’t mean you should sit on the sofa all the time but it does mean your chances of winning in sport are errrm, ‘scuse the pun, slim.

I know they are slim, yes.

I ride my race bike.

emsz
    Free Member

Edit

Molly’s trolling, has to be, I’m not doing this anymore.

Jamie
    Free Member

I would like to see a change to this forum where OPs are allowed to close their own threads

You must feel like Dr Frankenstein…

molgrips
    Free Member

molly not eating biscuits and cake has nothing to do with training.

I know, I am also shit at dieting.

Did you read my post where I said I ate twixes and got faster and lost 2 more kg?

IanMunro
    Free Member

How about doing a sub 2 hour marathon instead?
    Apparently if you believe you can do it, you can do it.
    http://news.runnersworld.com/2012/07/09/hobie-call-would-be-sub-200-marathoner/

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 560 total)

The topic ‘Weight loss – 5.2kg in one week!’ is closed to new replies.