Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 560 total)
  • Weight loss – 5.2kg in one week!
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Now you are just making stuff up for the sake of being nasty. I’m out if this one, email in profile if any one wants to talk more. Utterly no point in replying to Jamie’s shite.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Quality not quantity.

More people lie about the latter…

Perhaps it is worth us moving away from bashing Molly’s attempts and talking a little about our own diets and training.

Molly what do you do?

Jamie
    Free Member

Utterly no point in replying to Jamie’s shite.

Edit: The thing is, it’s true Mr Grips. I have been reading STW long enough to see you constantly sabotaging any attempts to reach your weight goals, by thinking you are outside the laws of thermodynamics.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Jamie – you used to be a lot funnier when you were fatter.

emsz
    Free Member

Ignore Jamie Molly, cmon what doesn’t it answer

stumpy01

From what I have read, I reckon part of the ‘problem’ is unrealistic goals.
    If your goal is so far from your current circumstance you will never get there as it will seem too far a leap.

This tri, then….? I think it was mentioned that it is billed as the hardest tri in the UK? And you are aiming for that as a goal, along with winning a race.
    My Bro-in-law started doing tri’s a few years back. He has 2 kids and fits training in around family & trying to grow a new business. He is a very driven individual & when he wants to be can be very strict with diet etc.
    His first triathlons were small, low key affairs so he could see where he fits in the scheme of things and so he has a starting point; a baseline to go from.
    It does sound like there are many excuses about why you shouldn’t enter an event, but you need to get a stake in the ground. Then you can say that you did a certain event and you came last/mid-pack/first. Doesn’t really matter where you finish, it gets your eye in about where you need to go.

I sound a bit like you.
    I am a bit over weight, I love a bit of cake with some over-priced coffee and would love to be fitter/do better at races.
    Recently I decided to tackle the weight thing, and stuck My Fitness Pal on my phone. It’s not brilliant, but does allow me to track what I am eating and allows me to see where the calories are coming from. It has set me a target for calorie consumption based on my modest goal of losing 1lb a week.
    With regards to the fitness/races. I ride probably 4hrs/week as well if I am lucky. I know this is not enough to improve my fitness; in fact i think it barely sustains it. I would expect to have to double it, to achieve a modest improvement. For me, I think I need to write down on the calendar exactly when I should ride. At the moment, I always find an excuse not to ride, whereas if it is written down I think I would be more likely to do it….

piemonster

This is a useful site for recording and analyzing your diet;

http://caloriecount.about.com/

emsz
    Free Member

At the moment, I always find an excuse not to ride, whereas if it is written down I think I would be more likely to do it….

That is soo much like me, if I write it down, I can tick it off!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Post deleted due to solipsism. Emsz email me if you want to know about the questions.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As for eating a normal healthy diet and riding for fun – do you think I’ve never tried that in 20 years of biking? I don’t try diets just for fun, I need to understand why I still weigh too much despite riding and healthy eating.

Molgriups – you do not eat a normal healthy diet.

You eat between half and a kilo of highly refined sugar / maltodextrin (which acts on your body like glucose) a week by your own admission. That is highly damaging to your health and will both prevent weight loss and cause hunger.

However over many discussions you do not want to accept this how damaging this is.

Its your sugar habit that causes you to both gain weight and feel hungry – you have to train your body away from it or accept being overweight.

You do not need it to fuel your minimal training / recovery. What you need is a healthy balanced diet and ore long acting carbs

this is not making things up to be nasty – its your own previous admission of what you do.

donsimon
    Free Member

Ssssh! TJ, he knows what he’s doing.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Someone’s got to call Troll again!

Molly – get a copy of The Feed Zone… I reckon it can help us all.

crikey
    Free Member

Molgrips, your stone throwing ability is not enhanced by the vitreous nature of your current dwelling.

molgrips
    Free Member

Crikey, I try to learn from other people.

Big difference.

Anyway mods please close this thread, I can’t stop myself apparently.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

can’t stop myself apparently.

Stop it Molly… you’re chucking petrol on the fire.

Anyway – The Feed Zone looks at timing and quality of nutrition for training for athletes and fitness enthusiasts. The promo extract I’ve got is covered in pics that look similar to iDiet recipes.

philconsequence
    Free Member

molly, take a deep breath… and out…. and in again…… and out. now that you’re more relaxed…. why should the mods close the thread because you can’t stop yourself?

HANG ON, Tj’s back, where were you Teej?

crikey
    Free Member

Molgrips, I’ve just finished a 5 night stretch of work, 55 hours. I don’t sleep well on nights, and have just consumed a bottle of wine because I’ve had some extremely bad news at work.

I regard you as one of the good guys, but you seem to be a wee bit strange in terms of your ability to learn from others.

Most of the ‘have a go at molgrips’ posts on this thread are about people trying to point out that your approach needs work, that you seem to be somewhat resistant to taking advice.

Come on fella, I’d love to see you getting better at the things you’d like to get better at, but you’ve got to believe in the things people are saying to you.

jota180
    Free Member

41 junk miles for me before breakfast today [av 17.1 mph], that brings this working week’s useless exercise tally to

cycling 149 miles
    Running 6 miles

Plan something for the weekend now
    If they’d been quality miles rather than junk miles, I’d be in clover now 😕

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I regard you as one of the good guys

He certainly is… don’t think any of us would have smashed our heads into bloody pulps if we didn’t beleive this.

philconsequence
    Free Member

He certainly is… don’t think any of us would have smashed our heads into bloody pulps if we didn’t beleive this.

indeed.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Phil post a picture of the Proclaimers… quick.

philconsequence
    Free Member

no.

why?

molgrips
    Free Member

Most of the ‘have a go at molgrips’ posts on this thread are about people trying to point out that your approach needs work

I know my approach needs work, that’s what I’m trying to do all the time! Trying to find the balance between not enough fuel and too much, and what foods can get me there without derailing the whole process.

that you seem to be somewhat resistant to taking advice.

The problem is that the advice is to do things that I have already tried, or am not able to do. ‘Eat sensibly and ride for fun’ is what I was doing for years and years, and I was not a fast racer then.

I’ve tried to explain this to people, and why I do what I do, but I seem to be ignored; instead I’m being made out to be some kind of whining excuse making skiver who can’t be bothered to put the effort in and wants to blame something else for failure.

I’ve never tried to blame anything or anyone else, all I’m trying to do is point out exactly what I’ve learned about myself both physically and mentally during the whole training project.

This is why I have been frustrated on this thread.

Sorry to hear you had bad news Crikey. You are remarkably lucid considering the wine consumed though! And I appreciate the kind words. Likewise Yeti.

If they’d been quality miles rather than junk miles, I’d be in clover now

Quite possibly 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

500th post Phil! Good work Crikey.

crikey
    Free Member

I really need to sleep now, gotta meet monksie tomorrow for the last 50-60 ish miles of his charity daftness.

Seriously, (ok not hat seriously after bottle of wine and grim night(s), I did it by wanting to so badly that I couldn’t do anything else, it was probably a bit obsessive, a bit too single minded, but the point is that it’s there, it is achievable, it is doable, but you have to do it.

That’s rubbish advice, but Iam drunk.

crikey
    Free Member

The last you should be in bvbold

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Fancy a snog?

Keva
    Free Member

The problem is that the advice is to do things that I have already tried, or am not able to do. ‘Eat sensibly and ride for fun’ is what I was doing for years and years, and I was not a fast racer then.

Molly! you said ^^ up there ^^ you didn’t define yourself as a racer and now you’re telling us that you’re a fast racer!!

you say ‘not able to do’… what exactly is it you’re unable to do?

molgrips
    Free Member

Molly! you said ^^ up there ^^ you didn’t define yourself as a racer and now you’re telling us that you’re a fast racer!!

No I’m not. I wasn’t a fast racer then, I’m not one now. Perhaps I should’ve added ‘either’ to the end of that sentence.

you say ‘not able to do’… what exactly is it you’re unable to do?

Put in 20 hours a week training!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Mol – I think that a lot of the rubbish on this thread would never have been typed if your stated ambition had been along the lines of ‘the fastest racer I can be’.

miketually
    Free Member

Put in 20 hours a week training!

How many hours a week can you do?

trickydisco
    Free Member

Well i’ve done my bit. Put molly in contact with a club in cardiff that does a bit of track racing/coaching and has access to a track bike.

So hopefully he can get down the track and see what he’s capable of

molgrips
    Free Member

Mol – I think that a lot of the rubbish on this thread would never have been typed if your stated ambition had been along the lines of ‘the fastest racer I can be’.

Surely that’s totally obvious? How could I aim to be the fastest racer I can’t be? Did you think I was trying to go pro or something?

TD – it’s much appreciated, sadly I’m away at work all week for ages.. might have to make similar inquiries at Manchester.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Mol – with the typed word things can be easily misinterpreted… winning a race is beyond the majority of the field of competition.

You’re yet to enter a race, yet you’ve set winning as your aim. Just enter a race, enjoy the satisfaction of finishing. See where you come against your peers… then aim on improving.

It’s what I’d do. It’s what I do.

At the moment, with all the reasons you’ve provided, it sounds to me like you hope to be a faster racer than you can be.

Keva
    Free Member

Surely that’s totally obvious? How could I aim to be the fastest racer I can’t be? Did you think I was trying to go pro or something?

So whereabouts do you think you’ll finish in an xc race if you train to be the fastest you can be… top20% or top10% or higher, what’s your goal again?

molgrips
    Free Member

No idea. I’ll keep trying to improve until I get fed up.

You’re yet to enter a race

I’ve entered loads, just not for a while.

matt_bl
    Free Member

Molgrips,

I’ve read this thread from the start, yes I’m that tough!

You post a lot on the threads that I read, so it is clear you are a smart bloke, but you have a real block on this issue. The people posting on here obviously care about you, otherwise it would have stopped after 2 pages.

Firstly, change your goal, it’s stupid. You cannot control who enters a race and so you have no control over the result.

It is clear that you are not willing to make the sacrifices you would need to make, in order to have enough training time to perform at the race winning level. THIS IS NOT A BAD THING. I work all week and so see my daughter for an hour in the morning and two in the evening. I never go running or biking when she is awake at the weekend, as I am not prepared to sacrifice that time with her. Work out what you can be given the resources you have, set your goals and plan how to acheive them. Do this now (even before typing ‘but that’s what I am doing’) and make them realistic.

Weight loss and liking food are hugely difficult to reconcile and I speak as someone who probably has bigger issues and worse eating habits than you. People have already said that it’s about what you want more, do you want to lose the weight or do you want cake. I wanted cake (well Haribo, Crisps, Chocolate and Chocolate actually) more than losing weight until I saw a photo of me with my daughter and realised I was a fat pig. Now I still want cake (see above) but I want to be slimmer more and so I don’t eat it.

As Emsz has suggested in her posts, I plan, I prepare food when I can (no trips to TESCO, how easy is it to rationalise a 200g bar of Dairy Milk when you’re going wild in the aisles!), I am on STRAVA so my mates can see (laugh, cry or be impressed at) my running and biking times, I do whatever I can to take away excuses (prepare kit in advance, maintain my bikes, tell people I’m going running/biking so they ask about it the next day). I’m more honest with myself now than I have been for years, but I’m only 7 weeks in.

I’m bigger than you, I run more slowly, cycle more slowly and produce less power (it would be 50:50 on a downhill!). Having said all that, I only live in Bury, so if you wanted to do an hour on the bike one evening give me a shout (it would have to be after 1900, before that is story time).

Now I’ve got to this point I’ve realised this isn’t about you, well not solely about you, so I’ll shut up and go back to lurking. However, if any of you see a ‘somewhat’ out of shape bloke trailing, 3 shandy drinking (true in this case!) southerners at the Big G sportive next weekend, give me a shout, or some Tangfastics!

Matt

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve entered loads, just not for a while.

Where did you come?

molgrips
    Free Member

Firstly, change your goal, it’s stupid.

I don’t see it that way. I’m not goal orientated like that anyway.

My aim is to use the time and resources I have to get as good as I can, and see where that gets me. That’s the aim of the exercise. Winning would be very nice of course.

And I appreciate the nice words thanks.

Where did you come?

Usually top 20%. My best result was 11/90 ish in Open, before Meg was born. Not very good, consistency has always been the issue.

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 560 total)

The topic ‘Weight loss – 5.2kg in one week!’ is closed to new replies.