Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 560 total)
  • Weight loss – 5.2kg in one week!
  • BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

So while I’ve spent the evening riding, you’re all still at this?? Maybe more productive use of the evening would be a good start

donsimon
    Free Member

So while I’ve spent the evening riding, you’re all still at this??

What do you do in the mornings when I’m out riding/running in daylight, enjoying the sunshine (when it’s around)? 😉

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I pretend to be working and hang out on here 😆

donsimon
    Free Member

😀

molgrips
    Free Member

I went for a run, now I’m sitting in a hotel room alone.

Buy yourself an hrm so that you can have a better idea of your thresholds

My road bike has a power meter, which I’ve had for about 5 years. I’ve got a pretty good idea of where my anaerobic threshold is and how long I can go above it and how often.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’ve got a pretty good idea of where my anaerobic threshold is and how long I can go above it and how often.

Being quite frank, I don’t think you do.

crikey
    Free Member

He’ll still be in bed, with crumbs…

jota180
    Free Member

Back from my pre-breakfast run, [and it wasn’t raining for a change] didn’t see Molly out there
    I expect he was way ahead of me

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Just scoffed 6 digestives. Yummy!

emsz
    Free Member

Mol, I think there’s a massive difference between what you can do, and what it takes to come anywhere near the front of any race TBH. My goal is a 1’40 Oxford half marathon, just added up the distances and I’m doing 35-40 miles a week, and a lot of that is at my 10k pace, and sprints, all in about 7-8 hours a week.

I think you need to either step up your efforts, or just ride for fun and forget about racing tbh.

piemonster

As emsz said

Or perhaps step up your efforts AND ride for fun.

To put my running in context with emsz, I usually hit between 40-60miles a week in the Hills and Highlands only dropping below 10,000ft ascent on rest weeks. And I purely run for the joy of running in the hills/mountains, maybe one race a year at a push.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Mol, you’ve obviously thought long and hard about your diet/training, but if you’re not responding well to the DIY approach perhaps you could do with some sports science analysis – might show up some factors in your metabolism/exercise responses that could help you out…

http://www.bases.org.uk/Laboratories

I trained at St Mary`s University College and have worked with the labs at University of Brighton, both good facilities and I imagine the other accredited institutes are also to a high standard.
    Maybe find a place close to you, get in touch and see what they can offer ? Got to be better than the endless “trial by forum” and beating yourself up!

hilldodger
    Free Member

To put the training in context –
    To maintain what I think of as “reasonable fitness” ie non-racing but pretty decent speed/endurance on the bike I commute 20-30k/day, 3 lunchtime gym sessions, 2 lunchtime core classes, 1 morning yoga class and 1 evening pilates class – might seem a lot to fit in to a busy working week but it only adds up to about 7 hours on top of the commuting time, which is quicker/cheaper than by car/public transport.

I admit, I have no family commitments, am lucky enough to have a workplace gym & classes and can ride to work on quiet roads or offroad routes so maybe have more time/easier access to facilities than most.
    But, if you really want to get race fit, you’re going to have to prioritise – at least short-term until you get this “race-win” monkey off your back…..

Keva
    Free Member

he doesn’t do trial by forum as he never takes anyones advice, he just types a lot of the same old stuff on every single diet thread that crops up.

he has used sports coaches in the past. a couple of years ago he was paying some bloke from Torq to meaure his power output and feed him energy bars in a vain effort to lose weight but it didn’t work. I tried to convice him that sugar wasn’t very good for losing weight and could even be addictive but I was scoffed at. Then iDave showed up and Molly began fall prostrate at his feet but it soon became evident that the sugar had it’s Grips into Molly and he just couln’t sprint up and down hills then recover without it.

It’s been a repeat of the same old story ever since. Despite having a few excess carbs stored as fat to lose he still can’t get enough carbs you see. It’s a really difficult conundrum to resolve.

weeksy

Am i the only one feeling some sympathy here for Molly ?

jota180
    Free Member

I think most people here have sympathy for him, just frustration coming out that he won’t listen to anyone

hilldodger
    Free Member

Keva – Member
    he doesn’t do trial by forum as he never takes anyones advice, he just types a lot of the same old stuff on every single diet thread that crops up.

he has used sports coaches in the past. a couple of years ago he was paying some bloke from Torq to meaure his power output and feed him energy bars in a vain effort to lose weight but it didn’t work.

Aaah, OK – I need to catch up with the old episodes on iPlayer then, didn’t know the full story 😕

molgrips
    Free Member

I think you need to either step up your efforts

Yeah, that’s obvious! Not arguing otherwise.

HD, as a sciency person, I would love to spend ages in a lab testing myself. I almost signed up for a trial involving muscle biopsies a while ago just to see what I’m made of, but it was too far away. However this costs, and I just can’t spare the money any more.

As for riding for fun, well, dur. However, it’s not fair on my wife to sod off for three or more hours out of the weekend, since I’m away so much, nor is it fair to leave my kids again.

hilldodger
    Free Member

weeksy – Member

empathy, not sympathy – no-one makes him post except maybe his inner thin person 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

he doesn’t do trial by forum as he never takes anyones advice

Yes, I do.

Then iDave showed up and Molly began fall prostrate at his feet

Umm, I argued like hell with him at first, then I took the time to research and I’ve taken SOME of his advice.

I think most people here have sympathy for him, just frustration coming out that he won’t listen to anyone

If you weren’t repeating the same bloomin obvious but unhelpful stuff that I’ve been trying to do for years, then I might listen. See iDave reference above.

Despite having a few excess carbs stored as fat

Umm?

Anyway – HIIT + one longer ride is all I can manage, so if it doens’t work that’s it. And the longer ride is proving hard to get in, as mentioned above.

I think many people in my position give up entirely, so give me some credit.

jota180
    Free Member

it’s not fair on my wife to sod off for three or more hours out of the weekend, since I’m away so much, nor is it fair to leave my kids again.

Your right, it’s not
    Try what I do then

Get up at 5 on a Sunday morning, out for 5:15, back for 9 – most times they don’t know I’ve been out

philconsequence
    Free Member

completely understandable not buggering off for more hours on the bike when you’re trying to spend precious time with your wife and kid molly 🙂

out of interest, how much free time do you have when away from the family?

EDIT –

big +1 on early morning exercise, i do the gym/spinning (and now started the odd commute to work and back as of this week) in the mornings and i’m on the road to work by 07:30 after doing at least an hours exercise…. if i tie in my commute with the gym like i did this morning then thats an hours riding and an hour at the gym doing weights and core work + stretching and i still got to work by 8am!

i tried going for a blast on the road bike (as it was new and i wanted to play with saddle height etc before my first commute)on sat morning and cracked in 16miles in less than an hour, was home before 8am.

so when i get home in the evenings i’m not under any pressure to go out an exercise if i dont want to, that means when i do go out on the mtb in the evenings with mrsconsequence and/or friends its for fun 🙂

i know you’ve said you’re not a morning person, but i wasn’t, like anything, a bit of training and you soon will be!

molgrips
    Free Member

Get up at 5 on a Sunday morning

I try that most weekends, but it’s extremely difficult and tends to make me exhausted for several days.

I might have to go back to late nights – that is if the kids stay down after bedtime.

out of interest, how much free time do you have when away from the family?

Bout 3-4 hours in the evening. I get very tired after work though, so usually I’m training after dinner so that ends up being 9.30-10.30pm or so. I went out at 10 last night.

weeksy

Getting up at 5 shouldn’t affect you greatly, i did it on Monday for a trip into Kings-X for work. I can’t say i’ve noticed any major difference.

I’m basically the same as you in most of your posts, which i guess is why i’m sympathetic to your postings. I’m a bit lardy too, i train 4-5 days a week, but mostly only 1 hour per day.

We have the same dietary issues too…

I also wanna win/compete well in an XC race.. However, at 40 and with a lack of time due to wife and child…. i don’t see it happening.

philconsequence
    Free Member

I also wanna win/compete well in an XC race.. However, at 40 and with a lack of time due to wife and child…. i don’t see it happening.

reflection and self-awareness has no place on this thread weeksy

jota180
    Free Member

so usually I’m training after dinner

That’s never going to be pleasant IMO – go before, whether you’re tired or not

molgrips
    Free Member

Getting up at 5 shouldn’t affect you greatly

I speak from experience!

That’s never going to be pleasant IMO – go before, whether you’re tired or not

Well.. I usually leave it 90 mins at least and it’s always a very low gi meal. Last night I was flying actually – had a great run.

But it’s a fair point, and I do need to figure out how to shake the work-related malaise and mental tiredness.

Weeksy – appreciate the support. I can’t give up though, even though I struggle 🙂

i know you’ve said you’re not a morning person, but i wasn’t, like anything, a bit of training and you soon will be!

Research suggests otherwise. There are degrees of non-moriningness. Some people are way worse than me, even.

nosemineb
    Free Member

Molgrips, Have you thought about giving up on competitive cycling and doing more/ some running races at whatever distance your best at?
    Being a family man like yourself i find running much easier to fit in to my life, i dont need to be out all day doing it either. I also like the Pb side of running which unless you’re time trialing on the bike you don’t really get from cycling. You could be on the form of your life and a faster rider pops up and enters the race you had down to do well at. At least with running if you don’t win you can beat yourself and come away happy with a time.
    It may give you more enjoyment on the bike too just peddaling for fun.

I tried for years to get better at mtb xc, never got where i wanted even doing up to 12 hours a week of riding. I am a lucky one in that i am tall and lean and dont work on my diet. I think your aims need re-accessing before you make yourself unhappy and/or give up completely.

Good luck with it.

weeksy

What time do you usually get up Molly ?

I’m usually up just after 6, even at weekends. My lad is an early bird. So getting up at 5 doesn’t really phase me…

However, i think relaistically you’d need to double/triple your time out pushing yourself to move up the field exponentially.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I try that most weekends, but it’s extremely difficult and tends to make me exhausted for several days

Perhaps you’re pushing yourself too hard in these sessions for your current level of fitness… think barefoot running… small steps.

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips, Have you thought about giving up on competitive cycling and doing more/ some running races at whatever distance your best at?

Yeah I need to figure out this track cycling thing. You have all reminded me to do try and find out more. Since I live near one of the four or five indoor velodromes in the country, and I spend some time at home nowadays.

What time do you usually get up Molly ?

Bout 7-7.30, I lay for a bit trying to wake up, then I stumble down for breakfast feeling groggy, and make my way to work.

I actually feel better if I get up at 6, but I’ll be feeling tired later in the day. I really find it hard to go to bed before about 10pm though, and even then I find it hard because I feel like I’m losing out on my own time late at night. Half the time the kids aren’t settled until 8.30 so that’s basically 90 mins to myself per night – so that’s why I like to stay up late. In that time I’ve got to do any house work, home admin, bike fettling etc etc.

Perhaps you’re pushing yourself too hard in these sessions for your current level of fitness

I don’t mean the workout makes me tired, I mean simply forcing myself awake at that time of the morning!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just had a croissant, a pain aux raisins and a bite of mrs deadly’s chocolatine.

Might go for a run in a bit.

weeksy

Bout 7-7.30, I lay for a bit trying to wake up, then I stumble down for breakfast feeling groggy, and make my way to work.

I actually feel better if I get up at 6, but I’ll be feeling tired later in the day. I really find it hard to go to bed before about 10pm though, and even then I find it hard because I feel like I’m losing out on my own time late at night. Half the time the kids aren’t settled until 8.30 so that’s basically 90 mins to myself per night – so that’s why I like to stay up late. In that time I’ve got to do any house work, home admin, bike fettling etc etc

Can you not do housework/fettling at 6-7.30pm when the kids are watching Ben10/Scoooby/whatever or playing outside?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I don’t mean the workout makes me tired, I mean simply forcing myself awake at that time of the morning!

Well then you just need to MTFU don’t you?

Damn I’ve gotten sucked back in to the Trolgrips Show… round and round and round we go… where it stops nobody knows*.

*Although I guess it stops at >85kg and unrealised ambition.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well then you just need to MTFU don’t you?

ONLY a proper morning could say that.

jota180
    Free Member

Bout 7-7.30, I lay for a bit trying to wake up, then

Don’t, get those feet on the floor as soon as you wake

I also like the Pb side of running which unless you’re time trialing on the bike you don’t really get from cycling.

Not been introduced to Strava then? – everyday is a possible pb day

molgrips
    Free Member

So should an owl try to turn into a lark?

Not likely a good idea. A recent article outlines why this isn’t such a good idea, stressing the fact that owls who may try to wake earlier than usual will just set themselves back and suffer the consequences of sleep deprivation.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Molgrips – give up mate.

jota180
    Free Member

Molly, do yourself a favour and disable Google for a few weeks

philconsequence
    Free Member

I actually feel better if I get up at 6, but I’ll be feeling tired later in the day

i’m shattered by 9pm and as i’ve increased my early morning exercise i’ll sometime start to doze off in front of a film or TV in the evenings. means you can go to bed at 10 guilt free as you’ve exercised hard in the morning before work 😀

why do you keep ignoring the suggestions about taking up running instead of cycling as something to aim for a podium in? i suggested it a few pages back and its been suggested again, but you respond by saying ‘yeah i need to get into a velodrome. we’re talking about jogging/running, not track cycling

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 560 total)

The topic ‘Weight loss – 5.2kg in one week!’ is closed to new replies.