Viewing 40 posts - 6,321 through 6,360 (of 9,115 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I wasn’t expecting a smart / fitness watch IvanDobski.

But for the £675 I paid (dreamer see) I expected at least time and day / date. Cripes – even the Bionic LED watch I bought from Woolworths in 1978 offered that and for £13.99!

It’s a lovely looking watch, very well built (the red crystal setting is amazing) and water resistant.

I was just disappointed with the lack of day / date and the dim display when not actuated.

Kryton57

Isn’t that the point though?

Yes IMO. I wore my Fenix to a long weekend away recently in the basis it was rugged, I didn’t do anything but look at the time with it, it may well have been that lovely Hamilton. I shall wear it on the same basis to Centerparcs next week but at least there it’ll be used to record some bike training I’ll be doing hence is actually useful.

I find myself in compare and despair mode now. My AD has emailed that they have my desired gilt BB58 in stock, do I want to come and have a compare with a Pelagos. Of course I do. But I sat last night doing a mental comparison with the Gecko above:

Gilt / Black / vintage colour scheme – check
    20 bar – check
    Sapphire – check
    Red lume pip triangle – check
    COSC – check (well kinda, the PT5000 in the Gecko is highly rated but will never be tested by the Swiss)

So, £3k for the words “Tudor” and “Geneva” on the dial… at least rationally, probably not!

derek_starship
    Free Member

Kryton – you cannot factor rationality into this discussion.

You can wax lyrical with all the grandiloquence in the world about the whats, whys and wherefores but the fact is: YOU want to own / wear / enjoy / stare at a Tudor wristwatch, BB, Pelagos whichever but you want it and your mind will not stop whirring until you leave that AD with a box and a smile.

Have a nice day!

neilnevill
    Free Member

Exactly right

Kryton57

Lol!

You are probably right. Back to the Hamilton, where was it at 40%? Asking for a friend (yes really!)

ElShalimo

@Kryton57 – my Seiko Presage “Irish Coffee” (SRPJ17J1) turned up yesterday. I took some photos but it’s really hard to capture the lovely dial in the sunlight.  The dial looks like the radial sunburst style dials of other cocktail time Presage but when you look closely in the sunlight you can see the additional scalloped/rippled effect radiating out from the centre. It’s subtle but very well done

Just watch the JOMW review you posted for studio quality images of the dial. I’ve also got 7inch wrist so it looks the same on me (albiet with pasty white arms).  I completely agree with his review in that the dial is gorgeous, the strap being the wrong way around is a bit annoying but it’s got a deployant clasp so it’s just aesthetics. The strap isn’t that short so I’m not quite sure why he moaned about that

Blazin-saddles

You are probably right. Back to the Hamilton, where was it at 40%? Asking for a friend (yes really!)

C.w. Sellors. Technically it was 31% off the now £725 rrp, then they were offing another 10% off the sale prices. I actually paid £422.92 though. They’re going for more than that used on eBay.

ctk

Kryton I cant help thinking if you bought the Tudor you’d want a Rolex next anyway.

If you are sure thats not the case then why not buy the Tudor and sell a couple from your collection to soften the blow.

Kato

@ElShalimo. The wrong way round strap is the right way round for a deployant.  Same orientation as the clasp on a bracelet.  The leather and deployant on my Tudor was the same way round

Kato

@ctk I sold a Tudor BB41 and a Tudor GMT to get a Rolex OP and was massively underwhelmed. It lasted a fortnight.

If I could have my time again I’d have kept the Tudor’s…….

Kryton57

@elshalimo – thanks! Good to know you’re enjoying it.

Kryton I cant help thinking if you bought the Tudor you’d want a Rolex next anyway.

No I don’t like them. And the Tudor is probably my Max price limit anyway. Having said that my grail is a Fifty Fathoms or Breightling NaviTimer, neither of which I can afford and will probably start a savings plan soon aiming for my 60’th. Which means I won’t be buying the Tudor.

sell a couple from your collection

Its an educated one-in one -out minimum these days after the Casiooak foolishness, but the grail would sit alongside only 4 others maximum, and possibly be one of a collection of three.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Yeah I’m sat at 6 and really I would feel happier at 5.

I’ve my PO out from is safe place and had it on since Monday. God I love this watch. I know they get a lot of flack for being thick but it’s honestly really really comfy on my wrist and they are only 16.5cm, and flat. It’s ten years old almost exactly and has gained just under 3 seconds in just over 3 days. I sort of feel it deserves a service, but when it’s still so accurate, why?

walowiz

@ElShalimo be very interested in pics of your seiko presage. Looks very nice in the official press pics.

I’m quite enjoying @Kryton57 ‘s will he / won’t he.

Kryton57

I’m quite enjoying @Kryton57 ‘s will he / won’t he

I’m going on Hols now so it may be quiet for a bit. :D

boblo
    Free Member

I’m going on Hols now

Does Hols know…? 😳

Aye Kryton is to watches what Molgrips is to cars… 😁

If/when you do buy the Tudor (and I’m not anticipating an imminent purchase considering the soul searching job wise on the other thread) you’ll need to do the big reveal here so we can all make admiration/cooing noises 👍

neilnevill
    Free Member

1st refusal please, when the chop comes;)

ElShalimo

@Kryton57 – are you taking a watch roll?

Or did you solve the riddle of a watch that Bond would wear in the swimming pool and at dinner?

johnners
    Free Member

I’m quite enjoying @Kryton57 ‘s will he / won’t he.

It’s been going on for 159 pages and shows no sign of abating, there’s a lot to enjoy there if that’s your bag…

Kryton57

are you taking a watch roll?

I’m off to center parcs, so no just the Fenix will do nicely as I will be doing intervals on the MTB, in/out of the pool.

It’s been going on for 159 pages and shows no sign of abating, there’s a lot to enjoy there if that’s your bag…

Its not just me here with watches in an out of the house, although I admit its been quite a journey/education.

ctk

Anyone bought a watch from ebay Japan? Is it 20% import duties?

IvanDobski
    Free Member

New range of field watches from Nite, first automatic range as well afaik.

Atlas

I’d link directly but, you know, website.

Blazin-saddles

Anyone bought a watch from ebay Japan? Is it 20% import duties?

20% VAT, I think 3.7% duty and then admin handling charge on top; if it gets caught.

ctk
    richpips
    Free Member

Bought this for dark nights. The indiglo is ace. The tick is LOUD though.

ctk

Very nice.

Swelper
    Free Member

I have a 4yr old Omega Seamaster 42mm for sale.

Boxed and certified

scratch
    Free Member

I still owe myself a 40th birthday present 3 years later, twins in full time nursery put paid to that! But their 15 free hours kicks in next month so apart from coke, hookers and a 23 plate Porsche on HPI I’m looking at a new watch

Ah coke, hookers and Porsches, I joke, I’m looking for something decent under £200, I have a Mondain which although gets skated on here it’s the only thing I’ve ever had a comment on, there’s also a vintage ultra thin vintage Seiko dress watch, full black Casioak and classic A158WA-1DF Casio.

I am on the lookout for an old 60s Omega, there’s a seller near me with one on gumtree for £200 but he’s unresponsive.

So looking for something inexpensive but not total crap, the Citizens on here catch my eye, also, what’s the score with Bambinos? Which mk is worth the trouble?

After all these pages and adjourns to random YouTube channels the Speedy is still my grail watch

ElShalimo

There are a few videos on YouTube comparing the various versions of the Orient Bambino

tthew

I’d recommend saving up for an Omega, there are loads on ebay at sensible prices, (and loads that are expensive too). I’m wearing the early 60’s one that I bought off here ages ago right now, it’s a beauty and keeps great time*

Typical example, which is Quartz but there are plenty of mechanical ones that turn up.

*apologies but I can’t remember the user name or find the messages about it, but I’m still looking after it!

scratch
    Free Member

Both head and heart day save for the Omega, the doubt in my mind is picking something up tats 50+ years old and it needing a service costing as much as the watch as soon as I buy

Kato

I like a Mondaine.  It’s a design classic

Alex

Hi watch experts! Hope you can help me out here. My late father in law had quite a lot of 1960s watches including two Omegas (one a seamaster), a Zodiac and a Tissot 1853 amongst others. They are all in worn condition and I’m sure need a clean/service etc.

We need to get them valued. As these are quite well know brands, would a local jeweller be able to give us an estimate? It doesn’t need to be precise but we do probably need something more accurate than googling the model number and averaging the results!

I expect we’ll sell them on, but that’s a longer term thing.

twohats
    Free Member

Old faithful on today.
    SNK809.

bomble
    Free Member

Many thanks for the heads up Blazin Saddles, managed to get 40% off a jazzmaster👍

neilnevill
    Free Member

@Alex sorry to hear your loss. Yes if the local jewellers does vintage pre owned, the watches you have all sound common and easily. Make sure they know its for probate not insurance.

Sounds like scratch might like to see them.

Kryton57

New range of field watches from Nite

i quite like those, especially the gilt / black dial. The problem is your into Hamilton Murph 39 territory at that price, you’d really want Tritium to buy the Nite I suspect.

Alex

Yes if the local jewellers does vintage pre owned, the watches you have all sound common and easily. Make sure they know its for probate not insurance.

Thanks @neilnevill – I’ll make sure they know why we need the valuation.

Watches

Rubbish pic but it’s all been a bit hectic. Never saw him wear the Seamaster, mostly wore that more modern Tissot. I’ll pop them in (and a few more not pictured) tomorrow.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

, what’s the score with Bambinos? Which mk is worth the trouble?

Definitely – g1/v1(mk1).

Maybe – g2/v4

Definitely not the versions with roman numerals (g2/v2) and absolutely not the versions with squared off hands (g2/v3) or arabics (g2/v5). I might allow the small seconds but the open-heart is also best forgotten.

I will die on this hill.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Futureboy77
    Free Member

I’ve liked the Certina Heritage DS re-issue since it was unveiled at Baselworld a few years ago. I’ve just took a punt on this one for a very fair price.

It will be my first watch with the Powermatic 80 movement, so interested to see how it performs.

Futureboy77
    Free Member

Happy with this one 😁

Viewing 40 posts - 6,321 through 6,360 (of 9,115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.