Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 631 total)
  • Warranty denied as I stripped the bike down?
  • wysiwyg
    Free Member

So I have photos of the crack, the serial number and the fully built bike at the exact moment I found it.

https://imgur.com/a/x2ml7pm I sent them that and the serial photo, crack and the receipt.

Cracked seat to top tube weld. No way me taking it apart did anything

It’s basically stock

spooky_b329

@markhamhill

If the fault was declared before the warranty ran out, it’s still a valid claim if they didn’t manage to fix it by the time the warranty run out

tpbiker
    Free Member

Absolutely ridiculous

Giant bikes are good value but their after sale service isn’t a patch on others. I snapped a stay on a 2 year old bike and there was no crash replacement scheme or anything. It was my own fault it snapped as I crashed but even still not great for the consumer

Contrast that with specialized. I had a 6 year old sworks frame I bought second hand that developed loads of little fractures in the seat stays. Spesh offered to replace it free of charge if I could provide the original purchase receipt (I couldn’t but that’s not the point)

Guess what brand I bought to replace the giant..

Also..I have previously bought a giant frame and built it up myself. Am I not covered by a warranty?

irc

I cracked the seat tube on. Ridgeback commuter I had.

Not only was it accepted as a warranty claim without question but when they couldn’t source a replacement frame they just gave me a new bike. The new version of the one that broke.

rickmeister

I can’t belive we have reached page 3 on this thread before asking…

is it a crack…..or a sticker……

timba
    Free Member

I had excellent service from Wiggle over a cracked weld.
    I emailed photos but they didn’t have a similar bike in stock because of its age. They gave me a full refund once I’d photographed an hour of extreme prejudice with my hacksaw (frame, wheels, ‘bars, the lot). No messing about with boxes and returns
    No inspection, no concerns about the parts that I’d DIY’d (chain, tyres, etc)

Needless to say I’d no concerns about putting the refund into another Vitus

jamiemcf

My 2014 mondraker foxy broke on the NDS chainstay. It was a known fault so they replaced it (in warranty) the replacement chainstay snapped again (out of warranty) and they gave me a new frameset (a 2014 front triangle and 2017 rear triangle, a different colour though) .

OP, that seems crap service from giant.

magoos_mate
    Free Member

I made a post on this forum asking how i might repair something on a 4 year old Ibis frame id just purchased second hand.

Somebody from Ibis saw that post and DM’d me before offering a no fault replacement for the damaged part. Outstanding.

Hope you get a result op.. it doesn’t sound like you have been treated fairly imo.

theotherjonv

I’d certainly have thought that invalidating a frame warranty because a Cytech qualified mechanic has swapped out an ancillary part such as a saddle, bars, pedals, etc. would be hard to justify, bordering on unfair contract terms. Something directly on the frame like a BB, headset, there might be a discussion but even then, surely Cytech should mean competent.

poly
    Free Member

Dealers dont send full bikes back for warranty just the offending component. Bit different with a car..

dealers don’t send cars back either.  They take the broken bit off, fit a new one and then talk to the manuf about the claim – often sending them back the faulty part.  If the claim is not granted you pay for the whole job.  Annecdotally claims submitted by main dealers may be more likely to succeed than local places – but that may be as much about knowing the right paperwork/words/story/system.

in the lease commercial vehicle servicing world the mechanics are incentivised to find and claim everything possible; it could be the opposite in the domestic world – if the punter will pay more per hour for the work (+ margin in the part) than manuf.

I would have assumed that the disassembly charge was only payable (or not refundable) if the warranty claim was refused.  My expectation would be that giant pay the dealer for removing and refitting all the components if it’s a valid claim.  Of course that gives giant more incentive to refuse a claim.

mert
    Free Member

My expectation would be that giant pay the dealer for removing and refitting all the components if it’s a valid claim. Of course that gives giant more incentive to refuse a claim.

On a 4 year old bike we’re definitely into the goodwill part of covering the labour charge. I’ve had it go both ways on bikes of that sort of age.

Though the Trek rep did laugh when we asked about covering the rebuild charge on one customers 3rd or 4th replacement frame and forks, on a bike he’d originally bought 10+ years previously, obviously this was in the days of real lifetime warranties!
    Proper triggers broom that was. Still nominally the same bike, but not one single original component. Even had to change the seat pin during that frame swap.

intheborders
    Free Member

No idea about who’s right/wrong but how short is that bike.

Looks so old fashioned, plus long stem and saddle set back.

Olly
    Free Member

like car warranties where you can go to any Ford garage for example

Pretty sure they specifically changed the law with cars, as long as you use correct spec parts you can use any garage at all, and tjhey have to maintain your warranty.

Ive always liked Giants. Had a far few. Seems like a real dick move, but im also a bit suspicious about the details.

mert
    Free Member

“Only 2″ of seatpin insertion?” no only two inches out. XL frame im 6’1

null
    I’d love to know how that’s “two inches” out of the frame.

julians
    Free Member

I’d love to know how that’s “two inches” out of the frame.

looks like a dropper post to me, nearly fully inserted into the frame

mert
    Free Member

It’s still not 2″ out of the frame.

joebristol

If it’s a dropper post the whole lower part of the dropper is in the frame.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

mert
    It’s still not 2″ out of the frame

Closer to 2″ than max insertion

tpbiker
    Free Member

I have that very frame, it’s a 2015 giant trance, reach on mine is 425 in medium so not that short although maybe compared to nowadays

I’ll be screwed if mine breaks as all I have left from the original build is the frame!!

julians
    Free Member

It’s still not 2″ out of the frame

it doesnt matter how much of the extendable/movable section of seat post is in or out of the fixed part of the dropper, what matters is the fixed part of the dropper and that is almost fully inserted into the bike- so assuming thats always been the case , it wasnt the seatpost that caused this failure.

rootes1

same era Giant Anthem’s frequently had that top-tube/seat tube failure.

My old anthem cracked at the lower shock mount. I just took the frame down to Pedalon (Berks Giant Dealer) and they sorted – they had no issues with me bring in part of a bike.

I got a new front triangle and they built that back up into what I had dropped off. Excellent service.

mert
    Free Member

it wasnt the seatpost that caused this failure.

Oh, almost certainly not, full insertion is full insertion! But describing it as 2″ out of the frame is misleading at best, makes it sound like a jump bike or something, it’s more like 6″ out of the frame.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

You try putting other other 6″ into the frame then..

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Just had confirmation from Giant that removal of parts, a shock or fork for service by, for example TF Tuned must be carried out by a Giant retailer, failure to do so invalidates your warranty.

weeksy

Just had confirmation from Giant that removal of parts, a shock or fork for service by, for example TF Tuned must be carried out by a Giant retailer, failure to do so invalidates your warranty.

That basically invalidates any warranty anyone ever has/wants then lol.

martinhutch

That needs to be shouted from the rooftops every time someone asks about/mentions/reviews a Giant on here. That’s a ridiculously restrictive warranty term, basically no warranty at all for many customers.

jeffl

That sounds awful. I’d be tempted to raise it with trading standards. The ancillary components on a frame and whoever services/adds them, unless out of spec, should have no impact on warranty.

Even car manufacturers have to stick to this, as long as it has been serviced to spec with OE parts then the warranty is intact, even if done outside of the dealer network.

Wonder if there would be any interest in STW raising this as a bit of investigative journalism @stwhannah ?

davros

Terrible service from giant on the face of it. Just looks like they’re trying to weasel out of it. I’d keep trying via the shop(s) and social media (twitter?) to see if you can force them to be reasonable.

stumpy01

wysiwyg

WTAF?!
    I’ve never really considered buying a Giant bike, but I certainly won’t be now.
    I wonder if this is common among other manufacturers, just not spoken about? The only warranty claim I’ve ever had was with my Stumpjumper & it was dealt with, without any fuss or questioning whatsoever.

Superficial
    Free Member

That is nuts. Bikes are not cars and it’s impossible to be a MTBer without a degree of mechanical knowledge and be able to fix / fit parts to your bike.

In fact, I’d say it’s far better that owners can work on their bikes, check bolts are tight etc. I suspect it states that in the owner manual – check bolts are torqued appropriately every 50 riding hours or whatever. Are they suggesting that should be done by a Giant Authorised Workshop?

As I understand it, anything beyond your statutory 1-2 year warranty is basically unenforceable. Warranties are just part of sales. So yeah, either Giant fixes this or it gets brought up whenever anyone is considering buying a Giant.

OTOH, shout out to Santa Cruz who were amazing and warranted my frame with the newer version in less than a week.

rootes1

Is that what the wording of your warranty was at the time of purchase?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

EXCLUSIONS
    The above warranty, or any implied warranty, does not cover:

Normal wear and tear on parts such as tyres, chains, brakes, cables and gearwheels in situations where there are no assembly or material defects.
    Bicycles serviced by a non Authorised Giant Dealer.
    Improper maintenance, assembly or installation.
    Corrosion
    Modifications from the original condition.
    Use of the bicycle for abnormal, competition, and / or commercial activities or for purposes other than those for which the bicycle was designed.
    Damage caused by failing to follow the owner’s manual.
    Damage or failure due to accident, neglect, abuse or abnormal and excessive misuse.
    Improper alteration or installation of components, parts, or accessories not originally intended for or compatible with the bicycle as sold.
    Paint finish and decal damage resulting from taking part in competitions, jumping, downhill and/or training for such activities or events, or as a result of exposing the bike to, or riding the bike in, severe conditions or climates.
    Except as is provided by this warranty and subject to all additional warranties, Giant and its employees and agents shall not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever (including incidental and consequential loss or damage caused by negligence or default) arising from or concerning any Giant product.

Superficial
    Free Member

Bicycles serviced by a non Authorised Giant Dealer.

Joke’s on them: “I never had it serviced” <taps forehead>

pimpingimp
    Free Member

Poor form from Giant there. I once had a chainstay replaced by specialized on a bike I didn’t buy new or have any documents for.

Also, ref the seatpost moaner up there – doesn’t even look to be 2” out of the frame in my eyes, the top end is irrelevant.

jamesoz

I assume the pretend warranty is also void, if you fly with the bike. Unless you get a Giant dealer to take it apart to fit in a travel bag, find a Giant dealer at the other end etc.

I know some folks do a full strip down to clean a bike properly on occasion.

Effectively there is no extended warranty.

julians
    Free Member

double crosses out giant from list of potential future bike purchases.

What a joke of a warranty policy .

It seems with a giant you have your statutory rights and thats it.

rootes1

doesn’t include disassembly! 🙂

nedrapier

Ridiculous logic. I’d be amazed if they had a leg to stand on. Sure it’s their wording, but it needs to be applied proportionally and with relevance to the failure.

Send them this link, ask if the rider is in the process of invalidating his warranty.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/warranty

If adjusting the seatpost is OK without going into a shop, there’s no material difference in adjusting it and removing it.

tjagain

Warrenty over and above your statutory rights is entirely at the whim of the manufacturer

weeksy

USing their logic above you can’t swap tyres/pedals or grips unless you get an authorised Giant technician to do so.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 631 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.