Viewing 31 posts - 601 through 631 (of 631 total)
  • Warranty denied as I stripped the bike down?
  • davros

Great result 👍

oceanskipper

Pleased for you OP – I’ll bet you are happy that you made that initial post! And I assume they will be rebuilding the bike for you so that you don’t invalidate the warranty before you even ride the thing….

twistedpencil

And provide a personal mechanic for rides in case you want to change the air pressure in the tyres 😉

Glad they saw sense at last, shame it took all this!

martinhutch

but I’m happy with the result and Ian’s input,

Anyone want to say his name three times to see if he’s the new Brant or Ling? 🙂

Great result, nice to see they finally got their act together. Did they even get to see the frame in the end? Makes you wonder how many other folk got the brush-off before you, though.

kelvin

And finally I am pleased to report that I will be getting a replacement from Giant.

👏🏼

hardtailonly

Without Ian, there’s no Giant.

blackhat
    Free Member

There’s a lot of things to regret about internet forums and the like, but I think in this case we should be celebrating the positives

pimpingimp
    Free Member

I can’t believe you ride a Giant WYSIWYG, you should have stuck with the On-One Gimp I traded you for a Haro DM24 in the early 2000’s – that wouldn’t have cracked in such a silly place.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Common sense prevails ..

dyna-ti

I didn’t want to distract from the thread but eBikes are a whole other issue

Its got nowt to do with Ebikes. Not sure why you inferred that. In fact theres nothing in that users answer concerning ebikes, just the general about warranty claims regarding bicycles and bicycle manufacturers.

mildred

Without Ian, there’s no Giant.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

Good news for the op.
    Well done everyone for keeping this going and to STW for getting the head honcho at giant to post on here as well.
    Common sense prevails at last.

The bike shop should get a rocket up it’s bum for trying to charge for stripping the frame under a warranty claim. I’d like to know who it was so I can avoid them.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

Warranty still clear as mud, no modifications allowed ? What that covers god only knows, looks like a one year warranty now and does the frameset still have to be assembled into a bike by the dealer, the new trance has onboard tool storage mount under the toptube and a flip chip, better check you’re allowed to use them 😀

wysiwyg
    Free Member

@pimpingimp think that got traded for an inbred. That went for a 456, that went for a c456. Those were the days.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

@flyingpotatoes you’ll be alright unless you’re Robin Hood.

fossy

Great news, but FFS.

I’ve got an old Diamond Back Ascent Cro-Mo frame that’s been crashed, hit by cars, done Sonwdon etc, and had been used as an off road commuter. It’s about 30 years old now, and has been repainted twice, most recently for the second time. It’s never snapped. Sorry, but the likes of Giant can’t guarantee a frame, **** off. It’s suppose to do all this shoot !

Total cop out from a ‘premium’ bike manufacturer – never had a frame snap.

stevextc
    Free Member

davosaurusrex

I had already concluded from many threads on the Emtb forum that I wouldn’t be buying a Giant ebike, this thread just added their analogues to the list

I guess the point was it’s not Giant specific … though and more about the trend of “disposable bikes” that is perhaps at least being driven by the eBike philosophy that you basically lease the motor for 2yrs during which you aren’t allowed to do maintenance and the motor company will try and dodge replacing it or may keep it months out of that 2 yrs and after that, when it fails you have a expensive, heavy brick??

stevextc
    Free Member

Its got nowt to do with Ebikes. Not sure why you inferred that. In fact theres nothing in that users answer concerning ebikes, just the general about warranty claims regarding bicycles and bicycle manufacturers.

Other than in the eBike world you are completely dependent on warranty as the motors are designed to fail but not allowed to do ANY maintenance on motors or batteries without voiding warranty.

People have had warranty denied after for example using a 3rd party app to read battery health (that has been hidden from the end user) or because fingerprints were found on the internal case (even though it hasn’t been opened as its welded shut) AND when it does fail you can’t buy all the parts to repair because the manufacturer refuses to sell them.

.. AND YET “people” keep buying them so “people” must be saying “we are OK with this model”

tjagain

AND when it does fail you can’t buy all the parts to repair because the manufacturer refuses to sell them.

Depends which motor

desperatebicycle

finally I am pleased to report that I will be getting a replacement from Giant

Turn it down! Out of principle! 😆

(About bleeding time really)

stevextc
    Free Member

tjagain

Depends which motor

I should have said eMTB …

I’m open to which motor manufacturer sells ALL replacement parts? (compare to a fork where I can buy new CSU, lowers, parts for damper, parts for air / coil)

They all have their specific “don’t sell” parts or sell a new motor (with the exception of Bafang).

e.g. Bosch doesn’t sell the main board etc. so any water damage the motor is toast
    Shimano don’t sell torque sensor or boards (or spindles).. etc. etc. but they will sell a £70 bit of plastic or £10 standard bolt..

.. but anyway, the point really is “people” seem happy with this model (or don’t read the warranty) as “people” keep buying (look at sales of eBikes to real bikes)

nuke

And finally I am pleased to report that I will be getting a replacement from Giant

Great news. So glad of this outcome as it was looking bleak in the early days of this thread

….cant say my opinion of Giant has improved despite the result though, damage is done

tpbiker
    Free Member

It’s now that the op, replacement frame firmly in his grubby little hands, admits he snapped it in two after casing a 30 foot double with only 2 inches of seatpost inserted..

That would make me chuckle….😂

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

Lets not let this slip away into obscurity until they rewrite their warranty.

misteralz
    Free Member

We’re looking at a pair of ebikes for missusalz’s folks to use when they’re over, as they rent every time and it’ll probably work out cheaper just to have a pair. Can honestly say after this thread that Giant are absolutely out of the running.

Mintyjim

Maybe full membership is in order to show gratitude?! 😎

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Maybe full membership is in order to show gratitude?!

**** me, you’re right.
    That is a bit embarrassing isn’t it.

C’mon OP, sort your shit out.

sync
    Free Member

Perhaps Ian/Giant could gift him a full membership by way of apology..

robertajobb

2 things I take from all this.

1. Never trust Giant.

2. Never trust the bike shop you used (which one was it ?)

sync
    Free Member

Pics of new bike / final closure of outcome?

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

What, no updates? Odd.

Viewing 31 posts - 601 through 631 (of 631 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.