Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 631 total)
  • Warranty denied as I stripped the bike down?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

So they’ve caved due to an absolute internet pasting.

Are they going to add in to the warranty t’s &c’s ‘the success of your warranty will largely be determined by the level of flaming we receive online’?

The fact it’s taken a damning thread and a magazine article on here to get a frame (known for breaking exactly where it has broken) inspected, doesn’t bode well for anyone with an issue in future

endoverend

Yay, Go STW. Sticking it to the man….or at least lets hope so.

martinhutch

Common sense seems to have prevailed.

Hallelujah. Hopefully they won’t now try to suggest that four years is beyond the expected lifetime for a MTB frame…

davros

Hopefully a good result for the op. Unfortunately for giant, I think many will have been persuaded to avoid them altogether after this, regardless of the late U-turn.

kelvin

it IS policy to want the full bike to evaluate, the cost should not be passed on to the consumer

👏🏼

matt_outandabout

That is good news for WYSIWIG.

It does not solve the organisational, warranty policy and customer support/service issues that Giant and their dealers clearly have in the UK.

wwaswas

“Naah – HebTroCo crack surveillance team at work…”

Sorry lads *hoiks up moleskins*

DickBarton

Unsure how much a small group of people saying they won’t buy is going to impact Giant – they sell loads of bikes to loads of people, many of those people don’t have as much interest or care like we do. They’ll go to nearest bike shop and take advice from the salesperson.
    I think very few people will be bothered about this.
    Saying that, great to see they’ve done the right thing for WYSIWYG…that should have been the case immediately.

sandboy

We’ve got the power!
    Great news for OP and a happy ending for us lot.👍🏻

devash
    Free Member

Update: I have spoken to Ian, they are going to as he said reevaluate the CS procedure as this shouldnt have got to this point, it IS policy to want the full bike to evaluate, the cost should not be passed on to the consumer. I am awaiting contact from the warranty department themselves, not the CS team regarding my reopened claim.

Common sense seems to have prevailed.

Great news. Now when you get your warranty replacement, sell it and buy from a brand that doesn’t treat their customers poorly.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Good outcome, but a second-hand Giant frame will definitely have no warranty…

DickBarton

They apparently do a second-hand warranty if it has been registered with Giant…

theotherjonv

Do you have to take your frame to Giant to get it built up?

LAT

Turns out getting lots of the bike industry to all answer questions at the same time is harder that you’d think

they need time to collude

nre
    Free Member

Great news wysiwig, can’t believe it took so long for them to get it sorted! Have owned 7 Giants over the years (still own 2) but I’ll now think twice about sticking with the brand in future… Good result, but not a good way to have got there!

hardtailonly

Hold on everyone … is it actually sorted? Unless I’ve missed something, all that has been agreed is that they will accept the bike/frame in to evaluate, for a possible warranty claim?

midlifecrashes

If I’ve read it correctly, wysiwyg gets the frame reconsidered for warranty, which was the original sticking point. Whether that leads to their frame being repaired or replaced, we have all yet to learn.

dyna-ti

I added this info to the Emtb forum and got this reply from one of the other members

US law specifically prohibits manufacturers from voiding warranties for allowing third party work, or for causes unrelated to the issue. If you take your car to have a third party shop install custom headlights, and the engine fails, the manufacturer can’t “void the warranty.” If you change out your derailleur and the head tube snaps, that would not be a legal reason to deny a warranty claim. This was passed many decades ago because of that very problem, where someone would try to force people to use their brand dealers. It’s even illegal here to claim that it does void the warranty.

There is also a “warranty of merchantability” where it is assumed that you get a guarantee that the product does what it clearly should do, even without a written warranty. It’s an implied warranty. You can’t be sold a light bulb that won’t light up unless you buy the light unlocking software module.

The only way around this in the US is if the service/part is provided FREE. For example if Giant said, “you must obtain an inspection at six months at a Giant dealer, which will be provided at no cost,” then that would be legal. I had that experience with a generator, and that was fine. The initial service/inspection was part of the price, and if I didn’t have it done, no warranty. Fair.

Copy and paste info:
    <h4>”Tie-In Sales” Provisions​</h4>
    Generally, tie-in sales provisions aren’t allowed. These are provisions that state <i>or imply</i> that a consumer must buy or use an item or service from a particular company to keep their warranty coverage. Here are some examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

“To keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.”

“This limited warranty shall not apply if the warranty seal has been broken, removed, erased, defaced, altered, or is otherwise illegible,” where a device cannot be repaired without such effects.

However, a warrantor can require a consumer to use select items or services if they’re provided free of charge under the warranty or the warrantor receiver a waiver from the FTC. To get a waiver, you must prove to the FTC’s satisfaction that your product won’t work properly without a specified item or service. Contact the warranty staff of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection for information on how to apply for a waiver.

In addition, it is permissible to disclaim warranty coverage for defects or damage caused by the use of parts or service you didn’t provide. Here is an example of a permissible provision in that circumstance:

Necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company. Damage caused to the AudioMundo Stereo System by you or any non-authorized third party, however, may void this warranty.

Seem right and fair, and under US law I can well believe it. Consumer laws are pretty strict there. Only seems in this country do we get shafted by lack thereof.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

Yeah, don’t count your chickens just yet, personally think Ian should hand deliver a new upgraded bike out of his own money cos he’s clearly paid way too much.
    The bike shop that tried to charge for everything and failed to advise properly seem to have got away unscathed.

doomanic

Time to name and shame?

julians
    Free Member

The bike shop that tried to charge for everything and failed to advise properly seem to have got away unscathed.

yep, a lot of bike shops seem to try to dodge their contractual obligations of being a dealer for brand XYZ by either flat out refusing to look at products from brand XYZ bought elsewhere despite brand XYZ having a global/europe/uk wide warranty, making it clear they really dont want to be doing this, or by making it so difficult that the customer goes elsewhere (eg sure we can look at that for you but we’re really busy right now, come back in 6 months, or sure we can look at that but we’ll have to charge you labour for it etc)

boblo
    Free Member

Cannondale had a worldwide fork recall on one of their models a couple of years ago. I booked mine into my local dealer whom I did not buy the bike from to have the swap done (work to be completed by dealer only). I went to pick it up and the nice chap asked my how I’d like to pay… Errrm well bill Cannondale, your their dealer and it’s their recall was my reply.

They do try it on sometimes and you have to argue your case as per this entire thread.

stevextc
    Free Member

dyna-ti

I added this info to the Emtb forum and got this reply from one of the other members

I didn’t want to distract from the thread but eBikes are a whole other issue … or are they what’s driving the warranty dodging ??
    Warranty denied because “you used a 3rd party app to read your battery condition” or “warranty denied because you put grease on the bearings that were failing” etc.

davosaurusrex

I had already concluded from many threads on the Emtb forum that I wouldn’t be buying a Giant ebike, this thread just added their analogues to the list

DrJ

analogues

I ride an analogue bike ? Cool !!

csb

Time to name and shame?

Dedinitely this if the thread is to have benefit beyond the OP.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

I’m now getting Giant ads on the forum…

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve just realised my road bike is a Giant. Ew.

jimmyoto
    Free Member

I can’t really remember as it’s quite far back but what should the shop have done / not done, and according to who?

Is there a danger that they are being thrown under the bus by Giant who can’t seem to agree their own policies internally, let alone convey them coherently to their dealer network.

ocrider

You ought to read the thread again to draw your own conclusions, but as I understand it:

The shop wishes to monetize the stripping of the frame and is denied the opportunity because WYSIWYG does the job himself.
    The shop decide that the frame damage isn’t a warranty issue.
    Giant UK doubles down to back them up through loose interpretation of company’s ambiguous T’s & C’s..
    Internet implodes

colp

Taking up the whole screen?

oldnick

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Taking up the whole screen?</span>

🙂

leffeboy

I ride an analogue bike ? Cool !!

They are referred to as ‘muscle bikes’ in Belgium (VTT musculaire).  I’m really not sure that is any better

molgrips
    Free Member

RAMP JUMPING OR SIMILAR ACTIVITIES

This means that if you go to a bike park and get air, your warranty is also invalid.

rickmeister

Eh?

I added this info to the Emtb forum

Where dat den? On ear?

colp

Deleted – image link failure

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

Jimmyoto, the cost should not be passed on to the consumer, so therefore the bike shop tried to triple stitch him with strip down, admin and postage back to Giant costs.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I’m not sure what the shops input was, their quote was “Giant denied warranty at the b2b stage”.
    I believe Giant are having a word about the triple whammy of fees.

And finally I am pleased to report that I will be getting a replacement from Giant. So thanks for all the support from STW and the members.

Something went wrong somewhere at point A, B or C. So I can’t point the finger of blame, but I’m happy with the result and Ian’s input, unamused with the shop setting this ball rolling though with the pricing system.

vlad_the_invader

And finally I am pleased to report that I will be getting a replacement from Giant. So thanks for all the support from STW and the members.

Yay!

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

HALLELUJAH 🎉

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 631 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.