Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Warm jumper recommendations
  • edward2000
    Free Member

Can someone recommend to me some proper warm jumpers so when I sit at my desk in the winter working and not moving i’m not freezing my balls off? Central heating probably wont be an option this year.

Thanks

doris5000

Get one of these bad boys. They are WARM. And cheap imo, considering they’re made in Ireland.

https://arancrafts.com/product/submariner-rib-roll-neck-sweater-r761/

duncancallum

Norwegian

Army issues norgy jumper

StirlingCrispin

Don’t wear one jumper – wear lots of jumpers !

Working from home I wear two t-shirts, a couple of cheap fleeces with high necks, and then a big heavy fleecy jumper (Parrot – the former cycle clothing company).

frankconway

Get a heated jacket.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Lots of thin layers and a wooly hat. I think it’ll be the look this season

duncancallum

Tbf I like a Gilet.

I’m starting to look more like a Alamy stock photo of a caravaner

IHN

Get thee to a charity shop, purchase there some wool jumpers. Wool jumpers are the dogs-danglies warmth wise.

And a dressing gown or similar, warm bum/back/legs makes a big difference. And fingerless gloves (these in particular were a bit of a game changer for me)

BadlyWiredDog

The missus bought the women’s version of the Alpkit Rathlin for winter sitting around at desk stuff last year and is very, very happy with it. Not cheap, but very warm and nicely made etc.

Rathlin [Mens]

Edit: I see it’s mostly sold out, but if it comes back into stock, it is good.

prezet
    Free Member

Layers. Over winter I’m normally a merino base layer, then a t-shirt, mid weight jumper, fleece (and a jacket if it’s really cold).

ElShalimo

Finisterre make lovely warm wooly jumpers and when on sale they’re good value

e.g. https://finisterre.com/collections/flash-sale-mens?filter.p.product_type=Men%27s+Knitwear&sort_by=manual

alcolepone
    Free Member

go out for a ride at lunch, warmed me up for a bit.

but i am on the look out for some form of heating clothing.

Heat the man not the house type of idea.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Proper wool jumper. I got one last year, expensive but with care will last a lifetime.

Also I have some wool shirts but it has to be really cold to ware then! I always ware a base layer that I change everyday so I can get more out of the shirt.

johndoh
    Free Member

They say that when your feet are warm, the rest of you feels warm – so it’s time for an electrically-heated Big Slipper…

matt_outandabout

Alpkit make some good wool jumpers.
    Rathlin [Mens]

I wear fleece jumpers as well.

matt_outandabout

And…..get up and walk/run/cycle around the block. Amazing how much heat and how long that keeps you warm for.

dyna-ti

Army issues norgy jumper

I’ve the British army norgi. Very good.

Adding a cheapo down body warmer to it will help, it takes the chill off the shoulders.

As do these quilted liner trousers. I’ve a couple of pairs and its my go to in the colder weather. The quilting is just that bit of insulation to keep drafts off the legs. I’ve reduced circulation in the legs and i swear by them. They truly make a big difference when sitting watching tv in a cold house.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203105797589?hash=item2f4a0c85d5:g:p7oAAOSw4qBfX002

jambourgie
    Free Member

Yeah, get yourself a submariner. I got one last year. When I wear it I pretend I’m in Das Boot.

richardkennerley

I got a merino mid layer from Howie’s which I find really warm, combined with another layer on top it should be well toasty.

One of These but I didn’t pay full whack for it.

I also got a couple of These when they were on bogof

susepic
    didnthurt

I bought an insulated gilet for similar use.

CountZero

Flannel-lined denims if you can find them. I’ve got a pair of Oakley ones I got in a sale many years ago, and they’re nice and snuggley when it’s cold. I’ve also got a couple of pairs of Danish Army combat trousers that I bought when they offloaded their entire inventory after changing from a three-colour Flectarn to Multicam like our troops wear. They went from around £75-85/pair to £16, so I got two pairs and a jacket for the price of a single pair of combats – the jackets were around £100 at the time.

What makes them so nice wear is they’re 3/4-lined, and very tight weave cotton, so virtually windproof.
    But also too damned hot for 3/4 of the year!

Just checked out Amazon, and they do Key Apparel relaxed fit straight leg 12oz denims with cotton flannel linings for £40, so worth a look, team up with a heavyweight Uniqlo flannel shirt and a nice thick woolly and a windproof top and yer sorted.

TiRed

Layer up. T shirt, over shirt or merino hoodie and a RAB micro down gilet works for me. You need to move your arms for desk work. Thick jumpers don’t help with that.

Work gave us free fleece gilets and they aren’t bad either if you like the corporate and now outdated branding. Mine sits on the back of my chair but does see action if it’s a blue day.

ElShalimo

I find that just moving around a bit is very helpful. If you’re sat there for hours your hands and arms get cold. Core body temp isn’t really lower you just feel cold. Run up and down the stairs between calls to raise your temp. Or do something

The idea of wearing insulated ex-army trousers (designed for soldiers bivvying in Alpine or Arctic environments) to WFH is a bit weird. As stated above layers are probably the answer.

Big woolly jumpers are nice but you could end up too hot. Unless your home desk is in a really cold, draughty room

intheborders
    Free Member

Last winter I was guilty of commenting on one of my colleagues that was complaining he was cold because he didn’t want to put the heating on. “No pockets in a shroud” was my comment.

I commented because they were folk on the call who probably genuinely couldn’t afford to heat their flats/houses and IMO he was just taking the pi5S as he’s our Director of Risk, on circa £300-400k.

If you genuinely can’t afford to heat your house, you have my sympathy – otherwise, be cold.

DrJ

I bought these fleecy jogging bottoms at the beginning of lockdown and wore them for weeks and weeks. Are they stylish and attractive? No, they are not. But they are warm and cheap and didn’t fall to bits.

EDIT – you can also wear them pulled up over your arse.

BadlyWiredDog

I was about to take the piss by posting a pic of the interior of a snow-encrusted arctic hut and labelling it as a STW home office, but that’s a bit obvious.

Anyway, my advice gleaned from a winter working at home with busted heating is go for a run in the morning – your metabolism will thank you – and aside from the obvious, wear a warm beanie or similar in addition to whatever multi-layered polar warfare outfit you choose. And be prepared for odd looks when you open the door to the postie.

susepic

The fleece onesie is good (shark fin optional) because it kind of maintains a single, whole body, warm environment with no cold spots between garments. Good to keep the legs insulated too, and add a pair of ski socks.
    My postie is very understanding

chakaping
    Free Member

Plenty of warm jumper recommends here already, so I’ll just say not to overlook how much of a difference lined trousers can make for winter WFH.

I have a couple of pairs of Howies, but plenty of other options out there.

Fleece-lined work trews are also good.

MoreCashThanDash

so when I sit at my desk in the winter working and not moving i’m not freezing my balls off

One that reaches your knees?

mrjmt
    Free Member

Top tip, put a hot water bottle on the floor to put your feet on

TheBrick
    Free Member

Plenty of warm jumper recommends here already, so I’ll just say not to overlook how much of a difference lined trousers can make for winter WFH.

100% I have a Lidl pair

Also a cushion and slippers for my feet make a big difference to how cold I feel.

slowoldman

Tbf I like a Gilet.

Gilet

IHN

After a quick eBay perusal, I shall be buying myself a vintage, 100% wool, dressing gown/smoking jacket. That will very much do the trick, I reckon.

footflaps

My winter home office choice of leggings are from Montane – basically fleece lined track suit trousers:

Montane Mode Mission Pants

Nice and toasty.

grahamt1980

The smoking jacket sounds like it should be used for on site visits too

johnnymarone
    Free Member

For thermonuclear levels of warmth whilst stationary , i recommend a Buffalo special 6 or similar, it was too warm to wear in anything except winter weather for the first 15 years of its life, until the pile thinned out a bit from use. Expensive, but cheaper than gas and leccy this winter….

dyna-ti

Cloak ?

I reckon this is just you…

5plusn8
    Free Member

DrJ
    Free Member
    I bought these fleecy jogging bottoms at the beginning of lockdown and wore them for weeks and weeks. Are they stylish and attractive? No, they are not. But they are warm and cheap and didn’t fall to bits.

EDIT – you can also wear them pulled up over your arse.

In Case anyone can’t get that link to work, here it is in the queens english.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.