Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Walking shoes with long lasting soles
  • Cletus

Do such things exist?

I have shoes from companies such as Merrell, Columbia Sportswear and Adidas (Terra range) and none of them seem to last more than about six months as the soles wear quickly. The uppers are fine so this is pretty irritating.

I walk about four miles per day on average.

I can remember shoes lasting far longer when I was a lad – frequently I outgrew them before they were worn out.

scotroutes

A lot of the “walking shoes” have soles made of soft rubber (to enhance grip) and are lugged (to enhance traction). Do you really need these features for day-to-walking?

FWIW I am usually wearing Salomon XA Pros and they probably last 18 months or so before the sole is worn flat.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I just get them resoled when they’re getting close. Keeps good shoes lasting longer.

Has the added plus point that I can choose a more appropriate sole if needs be.

Jakester
    Free Member

The longest-lasting ones I have had were Meindl Response GTX – the soles lasted a few years of about 6 miles a day to and from work.

Cletus

Thanks for the responses chaps – I may try swapping brands for my next pair.

@Onzadog
    – where do you get your shoes resoled and how much does it cost? – I like the idea of that option too if I can get it done simply.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m not far frame Feet First in Chesterfield. Recently had some vibram walking soles fitted to my “office” shoes (as I’m not in the office much) for 55 quid. Cheaper than new shoes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Haglöfs have always been good for me.

grum
    Free Member

You’re presumably a lot heavier now than you were when you were a lad.

Tenuous
    Free Member

I had the same problem but my most recent pair were some Salomons and they lasted 2 years with the same usage that was killing others in under a year. I was pleasantly surprised and have bought another pair from them as replacements 🙂

the-muffin-man

Decathlon – rock hard soles and last ages! 🙂

Just don’t go walking on wet limestone.

tomd
    Free Member

Best wearing I ever had were Lowa Sirkos. Just brilliant but I see the new ones have a new sole so will get them and see. Just great for UK conditions.

Right pissed with my current Meindls. £135 and sole gone in 5 months of not especially hard use.

dc1988

Where are you walking? I often wear trainers and my Nike waffle ones with a foam sole have far outlasted any rubber soles shoe I’ve ever owned but sacrifice grip as they have no real tread.

scruff9252

Decathlon – rock hard soles and last ages! 🙂

^This^- I walk the dog around 8km a day round the fields here day in, day out so around 3,000km per year. After a year the waterproofing inner liner has worn through so they’re no longer waterproof but the sole’s are still good and the boots are comfy. At £40 a pair this works out around 1.3pence/km which feels good value!

Jakester
    Free Member

Right pissed with my current Meindls. £135 and sole gone in 5 months of not especially hard use.

I’ve always had loads of use from the sole, but the heel cup wears through in a few months with mine.

Always patched with gaffa but for the £££ you shouldn’t have to do that. Maybe I just have very aggressive heels…

footflaps

I’ve always had loads of use from the sole, but the heel cup wears through in a few months with mine.

I have that on all my shoes: smart, cycling, trainers, etc. They all wear through the lining right back to the leather / nylon heal cup long before the sole has gone.

matt_outandabout

Longest lasting and most comfy trainers I’ve had recently are Brooks Cascadia. Way more durability than Salomon, Adidas and Innov8

slowoldman

The moulded soles attached to most modern walking shoes are horrible things and built in obsolescence. When the sole has gone they can’t be replaced so you chuck away the shoes. Some (in my experience some models from Haglofs and Scarpa) have decent Vibram soles and can be resoled.

hugo
    Free Member

Why is the sole running out an issue? Cash?

If so, then go for Decathlon, as above, mid range walking boots. Amazing value for 90% of what a top boot gives you for 3 or 4 times less. Cash per mile subsequently low.

I walk in Asics gore tex trail running shoes with a rock plate. Find them excellent and reasonable cost, especially per mile. Far more comfortable than boots, especially for multi day treks. Pair of salomon gaiters for rainy or gravelly days.

ElShalimo

You can still get old fashioned walking shoes from Brasher, Altberg, Meindl, Zamberlan  etc.

They’re not cheap but they will last a long time and look reasonably smart but they can be resoled once the sole has worn out.

In the STW tradition of recommend what you have, Boreal Aztecs are a very comfy, heavy duty walking shoe, ideal for fat feet too. They’re kind of like the walking shoes in the mid-late 90s as in they are just lightweight boots without the ankle support. I’ve had mine 4-5 years and have walked and cycled many, many miles in them.

furryaardvark
    Free Member

William Lennon make the longest lasting shoes anywhere, in the Peak District, using Victorian screwing machines. I have a pair of their boots. They arent light, they arent cheap, they need breaking in, Ive never had anything better.
    Best to phone them, discuss any foot problems, send in outlines of your feet.
    Their website leaves a little to be desired. In a nutshell you can have any sole with any style and any leather.
    IMHO
    Fully sprung is excessive unless you are a shepherd, go for the half sprung.
    Choose the Vibram soles for grip.
    Hobnails are for hipsters.
    The English leather is the best of the lot, extra thick, tanned locally, its calf hide (I think)

https://www.rufflander.co.uk/brands/william-lennon/

lunge

Sound like heel slip, google “lace lock technique”, it may help.

hugo
    Free Member

The English leather is the best of the lot, extra thick, tanned locally, its calf hide (I think)

Personal preference, but these sound awful for practical use. I’m sure they are beautiful and give a warm fuzzy feeling, but technology has moved on massively. It’s like riding trails on a heavy rigid singlespeed bike. For some, not for me.

furryaardvark
    Free Member

I thought it was the technology-moved-on that was the problem – everything falls apart ?

Once these are broken in they are very comfortable. They are made to order so fit can be altered to suit the customer. Theres nothing better. No they arent pretty but who cares ? Not me.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Walking shoes with long lasting soles’ is closed to new replies.