Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Vulcan bomber flyby?
  • athgray
    Free Member

I know there have been a few threads on this recently so may be of interest. I was driving in Midlothian today when I heard a plane overhead but it sounded unusual. Looked up to find a low flying Delta wing plane flying low directly above the car. Does anyone know if this could have been a Vulcan bomber from Leuchars?

johndoh
    Free Member

No idea but one flew right over my house at low level, banking almost overhead last Sunday. I almost came in my pants.

Edit – I was cooking a BBQ and drinking beer as it happened. A perfect ‘bloke’ moment.

druidh
    Free Member

It was displaying at Leuchars today

athgray
    Free Member

Thanks druidh. That’s what I thought but was not sure. Took me by surprise, the sound was unlike any other plane I have heard.

druidh
    Free Member

Whooooomp!

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I cannot understand the amount of adoration for these monstrosities, not even combat proven!

druidh
    Free Member

Each to their own. I don’t understand the amount of adoration for most celebrities and any footballer but I recognise that’s just my choice and I don’t go on to threads about such folk and whinge at the choice of other folk.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

druidh – Member

cheekyboy » I cannot understand the amount of adoration for these monstrosities, not even combat proven!

Each to their own. I don’t understand the amount of adoration for most celebrities and any footballer but I recognise that’s just my choice and I don’t go on to threads about such folk and whinge at the choice of other folk.

OK, sorry, just responding, wont bother in future…..I do admire your choices though.

Northwind

cheekyboy – Member

not even combat proven!

Black Buck was some sort of training exercise?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

cheekyboy – Member

not even combat proven!

Black Buck was some sort of training exercise?

A complete failure and a waste of fuel !

possibly an attempt to justify the existence of the raf, which really ought to have been disbanded in the 1950`s to free up more funds for the Navy and the Army.

zokes
    Free Member

A complete failure and a waste of fuel !

Their mission was to deny the Stanley runway to fast jets. They succeeded.

Sure, it was a way for the RAF to feel wanted and important, as I’m sure a Harrier could have managed the same, if it had had any night-bombing aids, which it didn’t.

which really ought to have been disbanded in the 1950`s to free up more funds for the Navy and the Army.

Just a little historical lesson for you:

1) The only reason we were never invaded in WWII was because the nazis couldn’t secure air superiority over Britain

2) The Navy did a great job of defending Singapore with HMS Prince of Wales and Repulse when the Japanese airforce showed up 🙄

You can’t win a war without winning in the air, and in the 1950s, we needed something to drop the nukes on Russia, which was a bit beyond the scope of submarines back then.

Northwind

That’s open to debate. But regardless, they were combat missions over enemy held territory and the planes (sometimes) did the (insane) job they were asked to. Sounds combat proven to me…

But anyhoo. I think the real attraction of the Vulcans is that they look cool and make a racket.

zokes
    Free Member

But anyhoo. I think the real attraction of the Vulcans is that they look cool and make a racket.

+1

Squidlord
    Free Member

Black Buck 1-7 notwithstanding, we should be glad these were never used in anger in their original role. But still a great piece of engineering. And a low Vulcan flyby really is quite an experience!

druidh
    Free Member

john_drummer
    Free Member

perhaps they were used “in anger” in their original role – nuclear deterrent. just a thought

nealglover
    Free Member

We were at Carfest last bank holiday weekend and had a low level Vulcan flypast (3 or 4 times I think)

As it happened I was stood cooking meat on an open fire and drinking beer too !)

As mentioned earlier, Awesome bloke moment.

Helped immensely by the fact I was also watching and listening to numerous F1 cars and Supercars on the hill climb at the same time.

ps44
    Free Member

Trouble is they have to be flown very gently now. Watching them at displays 30 years ago was jaw-dropping…seeing something that big going vertical with dials set to 11 was 😯

druidh
    Free Member

FWIW, this was my favourite display of the show.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

perhaps they were used “in anger” in their original role – nuclear deterrent. just a thought

yep – very glad they, and the other V Bombers never had to go and drop their original cargo.

langylad
    Free Member

One flew over my sons cricket match at Bolton by Bowland in the Ribble Valley last sunday, quite impressive. It looked like a stealth bomber to my layman’s eye but someone told me in a very excited voice it was a Vulcan

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m not a plane-head, but there must be more to it than this?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I cannot understand the amount of adoration for these monstrosities, not even combat proven!

Basically it’s like this.
    If it has to be explained to you, you will never understand.

Don’t the hairs on the back of your neck ever stand up?

And a low Vulcan flyby really is quite an experience!

Not as much as a four Vulcan scramble at RAF Finningley in 1977 at the Silver Jubilee airshow!

geordiemick00
    Free Member

a spitfire coming straight at us at about 50ft at East Kirby at few year ago was something else too….

Saw the Vulcan last week at Southport, it may not be combat proven but I’m happy for it not to be, the (nuclear) fall out may not be good

druidh
    Free Member

It’s big, looks like nothing much else and has a unique sound. As has already been said, they treat it with kid-gloves these days but they used to throw them about like bombers aren’t.

CountZero

cheekyboy – Member

🙄

beamers

From a couple of years ago at the Uffington Show:

_MG_5166 by Mark and Kirsty Beaman, on Flickr

and

_MG_5174 by Mark and Kirsty Beaman, on Flickr

It flew over Harrogate last weekend, must have been on its way back from Southport.

Amazing site.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Druids, was there too and the meteor and chinook displays were my favs. Bit sunburned today after staring into the sun 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As I was riding past the Cabinet War Rooms earlier today, a lone Spitfire came overheard. Stunning.

Tom83

I wouldn’t say i know a lot about planes, but there’s something about the old ones that always has me stop in my tracks and look up to admire it. We always leg it out of the shop when we hear a merlin engine!

danbarker

Would love to see a Vulcan flying, only ever seen the one at the Cosford Air museum along with the other 2 V Bombers. Still amazed whenever I go in the hanger and see all 3 together.

athgray
    Free Member

A10 warthog is plane I would like to see in the flesh as long as I wasn’t sitting in an Iraqi tank!

johndoh
    Free Member

When I saw the one at mine I nearly ran in to get my camera then decided just to stand, stop doing anything and just watch it. Beautiful.

Macinblack
    Free Member

A nice look down at the Vulcan here.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkWO5zVPz4g[/video]

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I love Vulcans me (but not the Spock type)
    Saw that 4 Vulcan scramble, saw XM610 crash (well, flew over my school then crashed) & remember watching, through my 20 X 80 bins, a Vulcan being re-fuelled by a K2 Victor, high over Northern England.
    A long long time ago.

beamers

^^^^^^ That is a great video.

seadog101

cheekyboy – Member

Maybe a bit of stuff in the Falklands.

However, if you’ve never been combat proven it probably means that you’ve done your job, ie – scared off the opposition.

birky
    Free Member

Another pic from Leuchars yesterday

druidh
    Free Member

You must be packing a BIG tripod…..

birky
    Free Member

😉

Was up Lucklaw hill

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Vulcan bomber flyby?’ is closed to new replies.