Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Visiting war cemeteries/memorials in France
  • Legoman
    Free Member

I’ve wanted to take my 2 children to visit one of the WW1/2 war memorial sites in France for some time. I’d really like them to come away with some appreciation of the scale of sacrifice made and some understanding of the realities of war (being mindful of their ages, obviously).

It will be incorporated into another trip & as we’ll only have 1 spare day it would be ideal if we didn’t have to deviate too far from our route between Calais and Dijon.

Anyone done this with young children (9 and 11) and got any advice?

nealglover
    Free Member

Have been to a few places round Verdun. Lots to see round there (Maginot line)

Lifer
    Free Member

Ypres is well worth a vist, last post at Menin gate is very powerful if you can be around in the evening.

aP
    Free Member

Look here.
    when I was small ie under 10 we used to often incorporate a war grave into our summer trips round France.

ivnickkate
    Free Member

We went to Etaples cemetery, which is quite near Calais.
    http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/56500/ETAPLES%20MILITARY%20CEMETERY

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I used to live on one of the Normandy beaches, and can very much recommend a trip along the coast North of Caen. Also, if you’re there, be sure to check out http://www.memorial-caen.fr/ – Very, very good indeed.

Cemeteries in the area?
    Apart from the big ones, perhaps the most moving for me was Bény-sur-Mer, which is a small Canadian cemetery, just inland from Courseulles.

globalti
    Free Member

See the Menen gate in Ypres if you can and take a hankie; it’s very poignant.

wwaswas

I saw this image a couple of weeks ago.

Henri-Chapelle Cemetery, Belgium, 1946

no idea if it’s still there or near your route but it’s probably the most graphic illustration of the scale of the deaths that I’ve ever seen.

KonaTC

I had the opportunity to visited the Menin Gate in Ypres a few years ago, the scale of the loss of life represented by the names inscribed on the monument was truly breath taking. I also had the privilege of being able to attend the playing of the last post at 8pm.

Everything you need to know is here

Legoman
    Free Member

Thanks all – a few to look into there and the CWGC links look useful.

wwaswas – I can’t get my head around the scale of that place, brings a lump to my throat just looking at it. A quick google, looks like it’s a US war cemetary but not on our route unfortunately.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I’d say they’re a bit young for the heaviness of it all, but only you know your kids. Trenches and ramparts etc, fine, but cemeteries no.

boltonjon

Agree with everything people have said about Ypres

The last post at 8pm every night is the most sombre and moving experience i’ve ever had

been twice and it blew me away every time

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

There was a lot of WW2 resistance movement around Dijon – we spent a few days near Quarré le Tombes (sp?) up in t’hills and had a good rifle through the resistance museum.

Otherwise if you follow the Belgian border round to to Vosges region, you’re essentially following the WW1 front line – plenty to see.

Pigface
    Free Member

About 6 weeks ago I went to the town cemetery in Charleroi where a friends great uncle is buried, his story is so tragic, an 18 yr old pilot he was shot down two days before the end of the war in 1918, even though he was wounded he managed to land safely and destroy his plane. He wrote a letter the next day that said “I am still alive but wounded, I am pierced in leg shoulder and lung, will write more, all my love your son” he died the day after the guns fell silent. Was a very moving experience finding him and we are going back next year to do some repairs and clean up the grave a bit.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Vosges:

blip-20120725IMG_0418 by NeilCain, on Flickr

blip-20120725IMG_0400 by NeilCain, on Flickr

Resistance museum:

Museé de Resistance by NeilCain, on Flickr

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

he died the day after the guns fell silent

That’s bloody awful.

Legoman
    Free Member

I’d say they’re a bit young for the heaviness of it all, but only you know your kids. Trenches and ramparts etc, fine, but cemeteries no.

TuckerUK – that’s a valid point which we do need to consider – they’re both quite sensitive kids. They’ve both learnt about WW2 at school, which is fine but I feel quite strongly that they should understand how much was given for their future – difficult to appreciate that from a text book. Are you speaking from experience?

leffeboy

If you’re happy to trip into Belgium then the Ypres as has been suggested many times but one place that is really worth a visit is the Sanctuary Wood Museum which is close by (just down the road from the Canadian war memorial). It’s a bit run down and obviously a cash cow for it’s owner but it has an astonishing set of old 3D photos that give you a view of the battlefields like nothing I have ever seen. It’s just fields of mud with ‘bits’ sticking out of them and grim damp trenches. Nothing conveys just how awful it would have been to be there like those photos

davetrave
    Free Member

TuckerUK – that’s a valid point which we do need to consider – they’re both quite sensitive kids. They’ve both learnt about WW2 at school, which is fine but I feel quite strongly that they should understand how much was given for their future – difficult to appreciate that from a text book. Are you speaking from experience?

We holidayed in Normandy this year so I insisted on a day visiting a few places, including the CWGC cemetery in Bayeux and the German cemetery at La Cambe. Our boy was just about to turn 6. He likes to play war with his mates using Nerf guns and is also generally curious about death (as well as being very inquisitive anyway) so the cemeteries were on the bill to give him an idea about real war and what it actually means for those involved, his (now deceased) great grandad landed on Gold. He had no problems with it and was very respectful as well as quite awestruck.

On your route from Calais, Arras is well worth a visit, not far off the autoroute. As well as the cemeteries it’s got a lot of history, including a lot of tunnelling – not sure if they’ve opened any up for visitors, think there was talk of doing so…

atlaz
    Free Member

Consider the Neuville-St Vaast war cemetery near Calais. It’s a German one but I think it’s important to personalise the losses of the enemy as well. Verdun is definitely worth visiting too but some of the stuff there (the ossuary, and the trench of bayonets for example) is quite horrific.

jools182
    Free Member

I went a couple of years ago

Atmosphere was unique, frequently felt goose bumps and a sense of unease, especially with the foggy weather there

I think it would be great with kids, although don’t know if I would have felt as emotional about it at that age

br
    Free Member

Everyone should visit a WW1 cemetery.

The most poignant one I’ve been to was basically a fenced off area in a small field near Amien – it was silent and misty and they all died around the same time in late 1918.

mrmo
    Free Member

there is a small cemetery in sangatte, Calais, At least i seem to remember it as being small, relative buried there so thought i would go and have a look. Might be worth having a quick look through the family history to see if any one is buried, might personalise it a bit, if that makes sense.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Seems well done for years 7-12. Good idea IMO. Yypres is done in a day from some local schools. Thiepval is also very memorable with its distinctive memorial.

I think mixing the trenches with the cemeteries rather than just one gives a good balance.

I can never not cry at the waste whenever I visit them.

Legoman
    Free Member

Thanks for sharing your stories and pics.
    STW comes up trumps again!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

A visit to http://www.cwgc.org/dbImage.ashx?id=12653 is on my bucket list.
    My Grandad’s there.

(Hooge Crater Cemetery, Belgium)

jcnm
    Free Member

Few years back we visited the cemetery above Omaha beach. The kids didn’t want to get out of the car so me and Mrs JCNM went. When we saw the scale of the cemetery Mrs JCNN went back to the car and made the kid’s come and look and learn. The most moving sight I’ve ever seen.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Anywhere around Bayeux for ww2. Theres loads of stuff there within easy distance of the town itself. The mulberry harbour at Arromanches was fascinating to see but there is loads to do and see around there. I would defo say to visit the german cemeteries as well as the allied ones though. Balance is good. the Omaha Beach American Cemetery at Colleville sur Mer is an absolute must. The visitors centre is really good at explaining most of the questions your kids will ask and walking around the cemetery is amazing. The line upon line upon line of graves really drives home the wrecklessness of war.

Arras region is really good for ww1. There is a good (if a little busy) campsite at Boiry-Noitre-Dame that is very convenient but very popular due to proximity to calais. From here it is easy to get to the Somme, Vimy ridge, Beaumont-Hamel, Thiepval, Devil wood, Lochnagar crater etc. All of these are fascinating places to visit and not too morbid either.the Canadian memorial at Vimy ridge is visible from the motorway and the visitors centre is really informative with regular free guided tours. there are also some tunnels here you can go into. The visitor centre at Thiepval is really good if you have relatives that died in ww1 as you can trace where they are buried on the computers. the endless cemeteries are really powerful but not at all ghoulish.

clubber
    Free Member

I’m half French and have family in Le Havre so spent a lot of time there as a kid. My Grandfather died indirectly due to his involvement in the resistance and as such my family were always keen for me to understand the Wars in a similar way to the OP.

The single thing that stuck in my mind from various visits to the cemeteries and monuments (they’re unavoidable in the area so we weren’t always there just for that) was when I was 9 and my Dad pointed out that every cross was a family just like ours but with someone missing and the people left behind devastated. I’ve never forgotten that.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’m half French…

That explains an awful lot… 😉

core

I was in Le Touquet/Etaples for a few days this spring (rallying), sadly didn’t get time to visit the cemetery, what with running around supporting a rally car, really regret it, hope to do at least one France/Belgium next year & will definitely make time.

I didn’t lose any close family in either war, being rural/farmers my ancestors were somewhat detached, my grandad being the local home guard’s designated sniper in ww2 is about the closest I get, fortunately. But those men & boys made the ultimate sacrifice for us, we should never forget them.

clubber
    Free Member

I’m reality a good bit more than half. Explains even more I expect 😉

matthewjb
    Free Member

We stayed in Normandy this year.

We visited the Battle of Normandy museum in Bayeux which was good introduction and overview of events. We then went to the American cemetery at Omaha.

Our youngest is 7 and I think it was OK. There’s nothing too graphic it’s just the scale of the sacrifice thats daunting. I don’t think they really get what each one of the crosses represents, (which they shouldn’t at that age.)

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive always wanted to go here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douaumont_ossuary

JulianA
    Free Member

@stoner – When you get there, make sure you go to the Trenche des Bayonette and Fort de Douaumont and Fort de Souville as well.

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers JulianA, will remember to add them to the list. Coincidentally planning next years trip over lunch today so may well try and squeeze a few days in around there.

Lifer
    Free Member

I’ve been trying to find a German cemetery near Ypres, visited it on one trip. Was very sad, high walls, quite small (relatively) and pretty much left to nature. Google skills not working though, unless it’s been done up in the 15 odd years since I was there.

StuE
    Free Member

A bit closer to home, all aircrew from local airfields
    http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/46040/HARROGATE%20(STONEFALL)%20CEMETERY

Tinners

There are lots of places within short distance of Calais. Northern France and Belgium are peppered with little pockets of tragedy. We’ve passed the military cemetery at Etaples many times and this year decided to go in. I wasn’t expecting to be hit by the emotion of it. You walk in through a very imposing white marble entrance (I think designed by the same chap who did the Cenotaph) and it’s all very respectful and immaculately maintained. The sheer numbers of white gravestones are quite a shock at first (by no means a big cemetery by WW1 standards though), then as you walk around it all becomes a lot more personal. The ages of the deceased was the first thing I noticed – young lads mostly. Then the more personal messages engraved under the regimental insignia. One grave (an Australian regiment) had a freshly laid flower with a child’s toy kangaroo. Hard to convey but it left a lump in the throat and struck home how young they were. Another grave had the words “If love could have saved you, you would not have died”. Real people, real lives, real families. Terrible, terrible waste. What would they have done with their lives had they lived? We left silently, unable to speak and with a lump in the throat.
    I’ve always felt that it’s important to convey to my children that war isn’t a game and there can be a terrible price to pay. They must also have respect. What those men went through is unimaginable. A few years ago I lived near Llandaf, Cardiff and occasionally exchanged a cheery “Hello” with Tasker Watkins (VC) around the village (google him if you want a fascinating life story – his statue is at the entrance to the Millennium stadium). You couldn’t meet a more humble and unassuming chap but getting a little frail in his later years. On one occasion, he was parking his car in the street and having difficulty. A group of noisy young lads passed the car and muttered a disparaging and abusive remark about the old fogey behind the wheel. If only they knew.
    I’m rambling. It’s worth a visit. Makes it real – more so if you have relatives buried out there as in our case. I’m glad that the schools are arranging these visits. I’ve also visited Hill 62 in Belgium with the kids but didn’t feel the same way. It seemed more sterile going around a privately run museum, like rubber-necking a car crash and didn’t hit me in the same way as Etaples. I also agree with those comments^^^ about Ypres.

JulianA
    Free Member

I’ve been trying to find a German cemetery near Ypres, visited it on one trip. Was very sad, high walls, quite small (relatively) and pretty much left to nature. Google skills not working though, unless it’s been done up in the 15 odd years since I was there.

Langemark? It’s the only German cemetery I can think of around Ypres, but I wouldn’t call it small.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Visiting war cemeteries/memorials in France’ is closed to new replies.