Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 354 total)
  • Visit My Mosque Day, Sunday
  • SaxonRider

The women are limited to the roles that men decide are suitable, where as the men are not.

I suppose that would be consistent with the way most ancient history is interpreted today, so okay, I’ll concede your point.

chewkw
    Free Member

hebdencyclist – Member

the British public, Muslim and non-Muslim have an opportunity to come together and renew bonds of friendship.”

I think that’s well put.

If I go, it won’t be anything to do with sky fairies. It will be for this ^^ [/quote]

Topic?

Topic of friendship?

You are not going to stay silent throughout the visit are you? 😛

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I will not be attending any sky fairy meetings.

So the Muslim Council of Britain are extending a hand of friendship and your reaction is “I will not be attending any sky fairy meetings”. Well you’re entitled to your opinion but I can’t help thinking that that sort of attitude is unlikely to make the world a better place.

Of course you might think everything’s just hunky-dory in the world today.

nealglover
    Free Member

Here you go:

Thanks, but I may have being a bit flippant 😆

I was meaning that “generally” people refer to catholic “priests” and CofE “vicars”
    You rarely hear people say it any different (possibly a change since 1662 ?)

And I’m also reasonably sure you realised exactly what was meant in the the female priest post.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve been to Friday Prayers just once.

Any idea what was going on? Did you find out anything you didn’t already know? Ok, so it is part of my job & I’ve taken some interest. (even though I don’t understand the lingo)

frankconway

@essel: to answer your questions – Roman Catholic; yes I go to church – either RC or CoE – sometimes to attend a service and at other time just to sit, reflect, silent prayer and then light candles in memory of my parents and others.
    Haven’t been to a Mosque so might go on Sunday; never been to presbyterian and have no interest in changing that.

wilburt
    Free Member

You can also probably pop along to a KKK meeting or a Nazi event but that doesnt mean its a good idea!

dumbbot
    Free Member

Sky fairy is inflammatory? Hahaaha

MoreCashThanDash

If I’m free I might see if a mosque nearby is doing this. I have no religion but I know about Christian churches and the religion. I know very little about Islam. What a great opportunity to try and learn about another culture.

Never ceases to amaze me the sanctimonious bollocks some people on here start spouting at the very idea of trying to understand the world around them if religion is involved. Large parts of the world believe in assorted religions. It’s very hard to understand them, and their wider culture, without some knowledge about them, and without that knowledge, you will never be able to influence and change the behaviours and beliefs that should have no place in a modern society.

MoreCashThanDash

You can also probably pop along to a KKK meeting or a Nazi event but that doesnt mean its a good idea!

Why not? You can’t change opinions without understanding and engagement.

neilwheel
    Free Member

I’ll put the sky fairies comment back in the bag if that’s possible? For the sake of a more reasonable discussion.

Ernie, I have a decent understanding of the Abrahamic religions. I understand people need religion and accept that, but it is something I would not be able to give any time to. And yes the world is shit but my faith is in other places.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Great attitude @MoreCash

@neil I don’t generally contribute to religious threads as a significant number of posters that don’t have faith strike me are extra-ordinarily intolerant and insulting.

mefty
    Free Member

I find Nazi events quite thin on the ground, do you have one local Wilburt?

I was meaning that “generally” people refer to catholic “priests” and CofE “vicars”

Only the ill-educated.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

LOL @ Wilburt!

slowoldman

I’m sure it would be a good idea if people of different faiths mixed on a regular basis. I won’t go along myself but that’s because working with quite a lot of muslims and having spent time working in a muslim country, I know that in general, they are “normal” human beings like everyone else. They don’t need to g out of their way to prove anything to me.

SaxonRider

See, that’s how wars start. I thought religion was supposed to be about loving thy neighbour and all that crap and not proving who is better, or, indeed, been to a mosque more than someone else.

How exactly is clarifying a fact related to loving one’s neighbour?

I am not naturally gifted in mathematics. When my teacher used to correct me, was he or she not being loving? 🙄

I’ll put the sky fairies comment back in the bag if that’s possible?

It’s possible in my book. Back to reasonable discussion. 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock – Member

Any idea what was going on? Did you find out anything you didn’t already know?

Yes I did have an idea of what was going on. I didn’t just turn up and stand there like some sort of herbert. Firstly I went with someone (the Muslim owner of a local tool shop) and secondly a few people, including a couple of imams, had a long chat with me afterwards. I’ve also attended another local mosque where they had a meeting for non-muslims.

I learnt quite a lot but the most important thing I learnt imo was just how friendly and welcoming they were. They had absolutely zero interest in converting me to Islam and their only concern was that I should have a greater understanding. I found the whole experience very worthwhile.

I’ve also attended Taoist and Buddhist services, among others. I haven’t attended a synagogue yet, although I’ve been to a couple of talks by rabbis.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ll put the sky fairies comment back in the bag if that’s possible? For the sake of a more reasonable discussion.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

It’s that kind of behaviour* that…blah

I think you’re mistaking yourself for some sort of forum cop. Or my dad.

I can’t be arsed walking you through the clear context but I was responding to another poster’s point about sky fairies.

It was a nice discussion about a nice thing some nice people are doing. Couldn’t it just have stayed like that without you jumping in with both feet and starting a pissing contest?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

How exactly is clarifying a fact related to loving one’s neighbour?

Although it is the written word, your indignation is palpable, especially when using rolling eyes.
    #LOL

nealglover
    Free Member

Only the ill-educated.

I wouldn’t say so. Unless you class almost everybody as ill educated.

As I’m sure you are aware, They are just the generally used terms, nobody made a program called “The Priest of Dibley” did they 😉

jekkyl

why don’t Muslims eat pork? I mean have they tasted bacon, it’s awesome. if your religion has to ban something why not ban something dangerous…. like religion?
    also, they don’t allow alcohol?! alcohol is ace, I’m out.

MrOvershoot

Draw a line from Gloucester to Bournemouth on that map in the OP’s link and there is 1 in Plymouth!

Now I lived in Gloucester for 8 years till the mid 90’s (horrible time) and there was a pretty large Muslim population, Bristol also has a fairly diverse population, I went to school there from the mid 70’s onwards with a good mix of kids from various ethnic back grounds.
    Is it felt that the local populace are so well integrated that no open days are needed?
    As in my experience on visiting back in the area its very much the opposite

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve also attended Taoist and Buddhist services, among others.

How was the Buddhist service Ernie? It’s one of only a few religions I’d be remotely interested in learning more about.

Junkyard
    Free Member

why don’t Muslims eat pork? I mean have they tasted bacon, it’s awesome.

that is even funnier than when it gets posted up on veggie threads. You are a comedy genius and oh so original and witty

joshvegas
    Free Member

why don’t Muslims eat pork?

Probably due to the fact it doesn’t keep at all well and was therefore avoided in a hot region where a number (or one depending on how you look at it) of religions began.

Food safety advice to keep your followers alive innit.

cokie

Interesting! I’d certainly like to visit a mosque. I’ve always wanted to talk to a Muslim to understand their ethics and beliefs (along with Jews & other religions).

I do think it’s odd that only 100 mosques/Islamic centres are opening their doors nationally though. I drive past a few on my commute, yet only one is open in the whole city and many cities have chosen not to open their door at all.

chewkw
    Free Member

Topic(s) for small talk during the visit day?

SaxonRider

@jekkyl:

In light of your comments regarding bacon and alcohol, you might appreciate the basis on which Prince Vladimir chose Orthodox Christianity for his kingdom in 988:

[It is reported] that in the year 987, after consultation with his boyars, Vladimir the Great sent envoys to study the religions of the various neighbouring nations whose representatives had been urging him to embrace their respective faiths. The result is described by the chronicler Nestor. Of the Muslim Bulgarians of the Volga, the envoys reported there is no gladness among them, only sorrow and a great stench. He also reported that Islam was undesirable due to its taboo against alcoholic beverages and pork. Vladimir remarked on the occasion: “Drinking is the joy of all Rus’. We cannot exist without that pleasure.”

molgrips
    Free Member

I think you’re mistaking yourself for some sort of forum cop.

No, just can’t stand arsey behaviour.

Moving on.

wilburt
    Free Member

A bad idea is a bad idea whether you call it a religion, a movement, an idealogy or whatever and LOL’ing too loud at that point of view and will end up with brexit and trump.

So have a closer look if you want, like it if you want, but calling it a religion doesnt mean it cant be criticised.

Junkyard
    Free Member

true and they can say you will spend an eternity in hell if you dont believe in their god but don’t whatever you do call it a sky fairy as that is rude – remember god is love and if you dont believe me then you can burn – what a lovely lovely message they have eh …just for molly 😉
    How many times do we have to do this whose view is likely to change eh ?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

How was the Buddhist service Ernie?

I went to a Taiwanese Buddhist service – I didn’t understand a **** word………it was all in Chinese! 😀

I did enjoy it though, it was in a huge place (in London) and they had a separate ‘chanting hall’ which they went to. I liked the whole spectacle but particularly the singing and chanting. I went with a Chinese friend who was also my meditation and Muay Thai teacher, and acupuncturist, he had already taught me stuff about Buddhism.

I’ve also been to an open day at a local Thai Buddhist temple. But the only thing I learnt there was just how attractive Thai Buddhist nuns are – they are all right little darlings 8)

mefty
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say so. Unless you class almost everybody as ill educated.

You are the first person I have come across to make the distinction, so in my experience hardly anyone.

SaxonRider

true and they can say you will spend an eternity in hell if you dont believe in their god but don’t whatever you do call it a sky fairy as that is rude

Junkyard, we’ve been through this so many times before. Who actually says this? First of all, there will always be fundamentalists in any organisation, from religions to political parties, to football supporters’ clubs, who believe that unless you think like you do, you deserve to have bad things happen to you.

But secondly, it is NOT that religious people, specifically, take offence at someone calling God ‘the great sky fairy’ or anything else. It is just that hebdencyclist said he was going to visit a mosque for the fellowship, then proceeded to use a term for the central-most facet of Muslim belief that is deliberately silly.

It is almost exactly the same thing as when people who don’t like football and come on here and deliberately refer to ‘wendyball’ or whatever. It’s not especially insulting or even hurtful; it’s just a deliberate poke in the ribs. And you can hardly deny that.

Cougar

Speaking a a vocal atheist,

I live in an area with a very much higher than average Asian population. I saw this thread with interest and would definitely go along, for two reasons. 1) curiosity and 2) as a show of ‘faith’ that I want to integrate with my neighbours rather than encourage an “us and them” culture. However, whilst mosques in neighbouring towns are taking part, the ones in my own town are not (according to that map at least). I could go to one the next town over, but that’d kinda defeat the object of 2).

If you were invited to visit a church in the spirit of increased understanding, would you do it?

In the same circumstances as above, yes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Junkyard, we’ve been through this so many times before. Who actually says this?

anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of the bible.Its a manual to be saved from sin, avoid hell and live in heaven for ever more- what do you think it means – what are the wages of sin again and why did Jesus come here?

Even STW cannot disagree with that – it can but its pointless. You may dislike the way I phrased it but its not untrue. The central message is the salvation of your soul TBH I find it offensive that anyone thinks mine needs saving.

It’s not especially insulting or even hurtful; it’s just a deliberate poke in the ribs. And you can hardly deny that.

Agreed it is as you describe and it is a deliberately inflammatory phrase that i used to use but no longer do

Junkyard
    Free Member

what cougar said I would go to my local mosque but no point travelling to one

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Saxonrider I think you’re being over sensitive.

To think of some of the comments that pass for acceptable on this forum and you take exception to “sky fairy”.

I started this thread in the spirit of promoting tolerance and friendship. I’m sorry if I’ve offended you.

theotherjonv

Only the ill-educated.

So educate us, instead of being condescending.

Could a better response have been “Actually, all christian religions have priests but I know what you mean, it’s just that they’re generally better known in the CofE as vicars, rectors, canons, etc.” ?

We’re talking about learning about each other’s cultures and religions in an attempt to be more tolerant of each other. I’m no expert in any of them but I am interested by them. In particular having been in some particularly dark times recently, I’m actually a bit jealous of people who have a faith that supports them. Doesn’t mean I can just acquire one and that’ll sort me out, possibly sadly.

[edit]

You are the first person I have come across to make the distinction, so in my experience hardly anyone.

Make me the second then. And I wouldn’t consider myself ill-educated.

And I just asked my wife too – what would you call a minister of the Cof E – a Vicar. Anything else? erm…. a Bishop. Archbishop….pause….Canon (the HM at my girls school is a Canon)….. but not Priest.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 354 total)

The topic ‘Visit My Mosque Day, Sunday’ is closed to new replies.