Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 354 total)
  • Visit My Mosque Day, Sunday
  • hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Sunday is Visit My Mosque Day,and the Muslim Council of Great Britain are throwing open mosques to anyone who wants to go and have a look and, presumably, meet some of the faithful.

Now I think all religion is silly, and aspects of Islam, as practised today in Britain, backward. But in the spirit of understanding and friendship, I think I’m going to go along, and take my kids.

I love the idea that the racists, zealots and xenophobes on both sides will carry on ignoring each other with fear and suspicion, while the good and reasonable folk of the world are meeting up and having a cup of tea and a natter together on a Sunday afternoon.

loddrik
    Free Member

D’ya mind if I sit this one out….

No interest in visiting churches or synagogues either but at least in those women are afforded equal status.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I love the idea that the racists, zealots and xenophobes on both sides will carry on ignoring each other with fear and suspicion, while the good and reasonable folk of the world are meeting up and having a cup of tea and a natter together on a Sunday afternoon.

Hmmm, I agree with you.

There are some nice people around, you just have to seek them out.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

D’ya mind if I sit this one out….

Why? I go to muslim prayers most Fridays.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’ve been a couple of times to my local mosques, once for Friday prayers. I found it a very worthwhile experience, firstly it increased my understanding of Islam, and secondly it provided an opportunity for Muslims to engage with non-Muslims who were keen to learn more. Mutual respect breaks down the barriers created by fear and ignorance.

SaxonRider

If you were invited to visit a church in the spirit of increased understanding, would you do it?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You talking to me?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

No interest in visiting churches or synagogues either but at least in those women are afforded equal status.

What’s the point in being educated? Its well overated.

If you were invited to visit a church in the spirit of increased understanding, would you do it?

And for that reason I’m unlikely to visit a mosque, except maybe to uspset the ignorant bigots. 😀

chewkw
    Free Member

hebdencyclist – Member
    … while the good and reasonable folk of the world are meeting up and having a cup of tea and a natter together on a Sunday afternoon.

What topic are you going to chat about? 😛

SaxonRider

@ernie_lynch

No. Mostly loddrik. But anyone who wishes to answer, really.

lunge

Hmm, might do this actually. I know very little about Islam and perhaps I should know more.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Free bar?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ok, 2 quick questions, to everyone. What denomination do you consider yourself to be & do you ever go to your place of worship, if you have one? (apart from weddings & funerals)

mefty
    Free Member

Not sure that is true of all synagogues.

enfht
    Free Member

Ali’s Snack Bar?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Ok, 2 quick questions, to everyone. What denomination do you consider yourself to be & do you ever go to your place of worship, if you have one? (apart from weddings & funerals)

Atheist. I accept those that feel they need religion and have no respect those who feel the need to ram it down my throat, try to convert me or simply think they can look down on me.

beanieripper
    Free Member

if your local vicar asked you to go to the local church for an open day, would you do this too?

bearnecessities

Depends if there was a free bar.

SaxonRider

This was sort of done before, however what you ask may be worth adding to the entirely-scientific data I gathered 8 months ago.

theotherjonv

I’ve never met a female Priest

neilwheel
    Free Member

As above. Even the pope still doesn’t think women are good enough to spread the word.

I will not be attending any sky fairy meetings.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

…as far as you know.

SaxonRider

You’ve never encountered the CofE?

Anyway, what neilwheel says above is nonsense. Those who undertake work in the Roman Catholic Church include celibate clergy and religious alike, including men and women. There are limits to what the men can do and limits to what the women can do.

It doesn’t correspond with modern sensibilities, of course, but it is not true to say that ‘[e]ven the pope still doesn’t think women are good enough to spread the word.’

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Why not just stick to the topic of Visit My Mosque Day, instead of having another religion thread?

Harun Khan, Secretary General of the Muslim Council of Britain said, “As the world recoils at President Trump’s so called ‘Muslim Ban’ and now the mass killing at a mosque in Canada, #VisitMyMosque is a much needed antidote to the poisonous atmosphere we find ourselves in. This Sunday 5 February, the British public, Muslim and non-Muslim have an opportunity to come together and renew bonds of friendship.”

nealglover
    Free Member

You’ve never encountered the CofE?

That’s a Vicar.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Why not just stick to the topic of Visit My Mosque Day, instead of having another religion thread?

Because there wouldn’t be many replies I’d imagine.

I bet I’ve attended more Friday prayers than you though Ernie.

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Yes, I agree but what topic(s) do you want to talk about if you have a visit day?

SaxonRider

That’s a Vicar.

If you read the Ordinal of the Church of England (and ALL other Anglican Churches), you would see that they are called priests.

To be a ‘vicar’ is simply to hold a position. Like a ‘chaplain’ or a ‘rector’ or ‘curate’ or whatever.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

the British public, Muslim and non-Muslim have an opportunity to come together and renew bonds of friendship.”

I think that’s well put.

If I go, it won’t be anything to do with sky fairies. It will be for this ^^

molgrips
    Free Member

do you ever go to your place of worship

Does this count?

Am I being flippant?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I bet I’ve attended more Friday prayers than you though Ernie.

Well I didn’t realise that it was a competition but yes, I’m sure you have – I’ve been to Friday Prayers just once. But then attending Friday Prayers isn’t part of my job, and I’m not a Muslim, so that’s not entirely surprising.

mefty
    Free Member

That’s a Vicar.

Not necessarily it could also be a Rector, a Curate, a Canon, an Archdeacon etc etc. But whatever position they hold, they are all priests. To really confuse you, we call our 30 year old gay Vicar, Father.

nealglover
    Free Member

If you read the Ordinal of the Church of England…..

I think I must have left my copy on the train.

SaxonRider

If I go, it won’t be anything to do with sky fairies. It will be for this ^^

If you keep talking about ‘sky fairies’ instead of using the term religious people use, you won’t be renewing any bonds of friendship.

You don’t have to believe in God to say ‘God’, as opposed to insulting people who do by deploying derisory names.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

That’s a Vicar.

If you read the Ordinal of the Church of England (and ALL other Anglican Churches), you would see that they are called priests. [/quote]
    See, that’s how wars start. I thought religion was supposed to be about loving thy neighbour and all that crap and not proving who is better, or, indeed, been to a mosque more than someone else.
    #children

theotherjonv

If you read the Ordinal of the Church of England…..

I stand corrected.

I’ve still never met a female catholic priest.

Happier?

SaxonRider

I think I must have left my copy on the train.

Here you go:

Church of England Ordinal 1662

neilwheel
    Free Member

Those who undertake work in the Roman Catholic Church include celibate clergy and religious alike, including men and women. There are limits to what the men can do and limits to what the women can do.

The women are limited to the roles that men decide are suitable, where as the men are not.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

If you keep talking about ‘sky fairies’ instead of using the term religious people use, you won’t be renewing any bonds of friendship.

You don’t have to believe in God to say ‘God’, as opposed to insulting people who do by deploying derisory names.

Aaaand…

35 posts before someone tries to start an argument.

It was nice while it lasted.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t see SaxonRider trying to start an argument. Using the term ‘sky faries’ is pretty inflammatory don’t you think?

It’s that kind of behaviour* that makes the arguments inevitable. And it happens over and over again.

* actually, it’s specifically that usually.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 354 total)

The topic ‘Visit My Mosque Day, Sunday’ is closed to new replies.