Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 354 total)
  • Visit My Mosque Day, Sunday
  • chewkw
    Free Member

funkmasterp – Member
    Is Chewkw of the singletrack forum a human or renegade Spambot / rogue AI? That’s my opening conversation.

C’mon … do you intend to walk into a place of worship to talk nonsense?
    If you do not have a topic ready what are you there for? Loitering?
    Do you intend to create the “comfortable silence” while you are being guided around?

theotherjonv – Member
    I’ll bite.

The architecture?
    The minarets? Do they have that where you are?

The art?

Do they allow art inside the place of worship? I mean art as in like painting and not calligraphy.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

as ernie explained to you in little words

So you think I use little words do you? I resent that.

I’ll let you know that I bought the Guardian today and there were lots of big words in it, some of which I might be using later.

theotherjonv

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shah_Jahan_Mosque,_Woking

http://www.shahjahanmosque.org.uk/

Do they allow art inside the place of worship? I mean art as in like painting and not calligraphy.

I don’t know, another thing to find out? Christian churches are full of it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

chewkw – Member

Why, are you selective about where you talk nonsense?

I find that hard to believe.

neilwheel
    Free Member

“Do they allow art inside the place of worship? I mean art as in like painting and not calligraphy.”

I don’t know, another thing to find out? Christian churches are full of it.

No, not really, images of sentient beings are forbidden in Islam.

chewkw
    Free Member

theotherjonv – Member
    Shah_Jahan_Mosque,_Woking

Interesting as I seldom see one in the UK.

The only one resembling a mosque is the one in Brighton … apparently it is not but I thought it was when I saw for the first time. 😆

These are from my hometown.

Picture 1 & 2 same mosque that was built in the last 30 years or so.

The state mosque that I saw them built piece by piece in the early 70s.

Then there are thousands more micro ones dotted all over with loud speakers so loud you hear them 5 times a day everyday …

funkmasterp

C’mon … do you intend to walk into a place to talk nonsense?

Fixed it so it applies to you 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

chewkw – Member

These are from my hometown.

I’ve never been but there seems to be more palm trees in Newcastle than I expected.

frankconway

Ernie – ha, that’s not what I meant.
    Sometimes it’s necessary to use little words in explaining – for the benefit of the other party and that’s what I think you did.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

that’s what I think you did.

Not knowingly. Thanks for rubbing it in btw.

neilwheel
    Free Member

I think you’ve both got Selective Reading Disorder.

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    Why, are you selective about where you talk nonsense?

I find that hard to believe.

Yes, especially in their place of worship coz back at my hometown if they deem someone to be disrespectful then the whole situation will degenerate in ethic fights … literary punching the daylight out of each other. This is Borneo.

However, once we have left the holy compound we are all the same … I offer them pork they reject on the ground that that is evil but will happily go clubbing with me … pork taste good …

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So I only use small words and can’t read?

GrahamS

Nice chewkw. I’ve been to the Blue Mosque in Shah Alam that I’m sure you also know well:

Impressive building. Sadly we couldn’t go in at that time as my missus was on the blob. 😕

As for topics of conversation: do you often plan in advance what conversations you’ll have with strangers? Think I’d probably just chat.

chewkw
    Free Member

neilwheel – Member

What do you mean by sentient beings? Human? Manimal? What?

chewkw
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    Nice chewkw. I’ve been to the Blue Mosque in Shah Alam that I’m sure you also know well:

Yes, that one is very nice indeed.

Good loudspeakers so no need to have alarm clock … 😛

That region can be rather strict in their religious rules. 🙂

Impressive building. Sadly we couldn’t go in at that time as my missus was on the blob.

Yes, that is true for all religious ground but perfectly fine for the dark side.

As for topics of conversation: do you often plan in advance what conversations you’ll have with strangers? Think I’d probably just chat.

No, just the religious grounds as you do not know what might offend or not.

That area of Shah Alam different ethic groups stay out of each others religious affairs or each others way. They don’t mix. They Do Not want to know about each others affairs coz they don’t like each others. Same country many different people.

funkmasterp

That blue mosque looks a bit Vegas.

The ones thing I can really appreciate about religion is the architecture of some places of worship. There is a compound in my home town called The House of the Resurrection and I used to love visiting on open days. Truly beautiful building with a stunning copper roof and lovely landscaped grounds. As a foil to this the church next door looks like a 1980’s bus depot.

GrahamS

Still plenty of “art” though, if you are a fan of intricate geometric patterns etc

GrahamS

Good loudspeakers so no need to have alarm clock …

Yeah we were in the hotel right next to it. Luckily not for too many nights! 😯

neilwheel
    Free Member

Yes, Graham, I have seen it with my own eyes.

For Chewkw, Aniconism in Islam

frankconway

Neil – thanks for posting some background.
    That exposure to other cultures and religions wasn’t evident in your earlier posts.
    So, moving on – I’ll be visiting a mosque on sunday and will post about it.
    RC by birth and education; exercised ‘free will’ at 16 and decided it wasn’t for me.
    Since then I have been regular visitor to RC & CoE churches – usually for contemplation and reflection but sometimes for services.
    I have a belief and faith which is a personal belief system; I keep it to myself.
    I respect others beliefs and that includes the absence of belief so it covers agnosticism and atheism.
    What is unacceptable to me are insults, derogatory words,
    vacuous and sneering comments about a subject which matters to a huge number of people.

GrahamS

Pic doesn’t really do it justice to be honest. It’s quite impressive. Largest religious dome in the world (51 metre diameter) and 142 metre high minarets (with some beefy amps hidden in them!).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultan_Salahuddin_Abdul_Aziz_Mosque

(For comparison the dome on St Pauls is a 34 metre diameter).

chewkw
    Free Member

funkmasterp – Member

😆 If you make that comment there, while being guided by some rather religious person, I would make a rather quick exit if the person guiding you suddenly gives you a nervous smile/grin …

I can assure you that is highly offensive to them and if we (the locals) say that the whole bloody country will be in riot … 😆

chewkw
    Free Member

neilwheel – Member
    For Chewkw, Aniconism in Islam

That’s very nice with all the scriptures but if you follow that link to scroll down to the page below you will see the Persian painting with the Prophet on the flying horse …

I prefer to see those angles, flying horse, etc sort of paintings rather than scriptures to be honest.

The question is why do all those angels look Chinese/Mongol? 😆

GrahamS – Member
    Yeah we were in the hotel right next to it. Luckily not for too many nights!

😆

Cougar

Seems to be your default, would you?

The only one resembling a mosque is the one in Brighton …

Next time I’m passing I’ll take a pic of the one in Blackburn (near me) – it’s pretty impressive.

if they deem someone to be disrespectful then the whole situation will degenerate in ethic fights ..

Doesn’t (shouldn’t) their religion prohibit that sort of thing?

neilwheel
    Free Member

Chewkw, maybe you should go down to the mosque with your question?

chewkw
    Free Member

neilwheel – Member
    Maybe you should go down to the mosque on Sunday?

Me? I will only go if they have those paintings of angles and flying horses otherwise there are just big building. To me really no big deal to be honest coz we have plenty of them at my hometown.

Not interested in their religion to be honest coz I was bombarded 5 times a day every day since I was kid in my hometown … on the street (call to prayers), on telly, on radio, on TV programmes … sort of religious talk show … going on and on and on … I kid you not … religious songs, religious dance (this is fine if they have nice looking female dancers) … religious foods … the whole life revolving around them. But I ain’t in their religion but we cope with each other … 😀

neilwheel – Member
    Chewkw, maybe you should go down to the mosque with your question?

Nahhh … not my kind of thing really. Besides, they have no answers but I do like to listen to their “distorted” version though … will get some of them into trouble if that is discuss. 😆

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Well this has turned out to be an interesting thread, and fairly free of bigotry too. Perhaps there is hope for humanity after all 🙂

I love the idea that there’s a forum for British muslims somewhere where there’s an equivalent bunch of bored middle-aged men having the exact same debate but the other way round:

“Why do we have to let those dog-owning, alcohol-drinking, fornicating bastards into our place of worship on Sunday?”

“It’s for community relations. Stop being such a bigot and open your mind.”

“But what are we going to talk to them about?”

“Just keep giving them cakes and maybe they won’t talk to us”

etc

Cougar

I love the idea that there’s a forum for British muslims somewhere where there’s an equivalent bunch of bored middle-aged men having the exact same debate but the other way round:

See, I read that and wondered if they were all bicycle-curious.

chewkw
    Free Member

I suggest once you get over the formality when everyone is relax …

Start the topic on the “distorted” topic like angles, demon, giants, satan etc … Trust me it will sound like some of the LOTR characters.

A strict religious scholar will dismiss that outright calling them nonsense but if you talk to the real people i.e. perhaps a humble old kind person, he might talk about the stories but try not to ask that in front some religious “know-it-all” person.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I usually start a conversation at Friday prayers about the weather.

chewkw
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock – Member
    I usually start a conversation at Friday prayers about the weather.

That’s just the polite way to initiate polite greeting with the worshipers at that mosque after all you see them everyday or at least every Friday where all topics have done to exhaustion. For visitors starting with weather is fine but must move on quickly or it just get boring …

elzorillo
    Free Member

I struggle to understand the logic of some on here who purport to stand against misogamy, homophobia, etc and who are only too willing to denounce Christianity at any given chance, yet are willing to go visit a mosque.

giantalkali
    Free Member

What is ‘Friday Prayers’ ?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I struggle to understand…..

Who are these mosque-friendly anti-Christians that you are struggling to understand?

mefty
    Free Member

misogamy

I tried that but really struggled to work out how you could fold soup.

funkmasterp

I struggle to understand the logic of some on here who purport to stand against misogamy, homophobia, etc and who are only too willing to denounce Christianity at any given chance, yet are willing to go visit a mosque.

Err. Hello? Free biscuits 🙄

elzorillo
    Free Member

Who are these mosque-friendly anti-Christians that you are struggling to understand?

I wont be drawn into pointing the finger at specific posters but they know who they are.. 😉

but hey.. if they can live with consistently looking like idiots, I can live with reading the comments and chuckling at them.

elzorillo
    Free Member

‘MisogaNY’ not got the specs on 😀

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No I don’t know who they are which is why I was asking.

By your response I’m starting to doubt that you know yourself.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 354 total)

The topic ‘Visit My Mosque Day, Sunday’ is closed to new replies.