Viewing 24 posts - 201 through 224 (of 224 total)
  • Vigil, TV drama
  • bentandbroken

I still don’t understand how you can tap out a ‘dash’ with a maglite….

other than that I enjoyed it for what it was… a TV Drama on BBC for Sunday evenings

scuttler

XO took one for the team like a caller said up there ^^^

Any why do these things have to be six episodes? Netflix took the brakes off telly having to be 30 or 60 minutes (minus ad breaks) in order to make an episode with a balanced start, middle and end**, but no one has to stick to six episodes. Do it properly or not at all – Pffffft.

** See Snowfall for fixed-schedule episodes with beginning, middle end.

johndoh
    Free Member

Don’t get me started on the bloody morse code bit. Firstly, why couldn’t the same person that heard her tapping it out have heard her just banging and kicking in the first place?

And as she had a torch, why TF didn’t she start hammering away with that straight away?

Houns

Think the best I can say is that it was better than another BBC costume drama

doomanic

I still don’t understand how you can tap out a ‘dash’ with a maglite….

You listen for the gaps between taps.

IHN

Think the best I can say is that it was better than another BBC costume drama

Recent BBC costume dramas that are much, much better:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m00059m9/gentleman-jack

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p09mqzmq/the-north-water?

ctk
    Free Member

Enjoyed it despite it being completely daft.

thelawman

Yeah, I enjoyed it too in a brain off, post 10 mile run, Sunday evening state. I did rather want someone to break rank and kick 7 shades out of the baddie on his way to the conning tower though, just for proper retribution. Top marks if it’d been the Captain.

DrJ

LOL at how many folk say they hated it but still managed to watch from beginning to end 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

It just left me with a sinking feeling.

onehundredthidiot

It was fine did what it was meant to, a bit of entertainment.
    That beret was awful though.
    Also, and I don’t know the answer, are there no RM on subs? Is it due to space? It’d have been handy after the captain’s bring him back or kill him chat.

ratherbeintobago

Also, and I don’t know the answer, are there no RM on subs? Is it due to space? It’d have been handy after the captain’s bring him back or kill him chat.

I assume no bootnecks on bombers as silently sailing round the Atlantic at 4kt isn’t exactly playing to their skill set. Attack boats might be different as insertion of SF teams is something they do.

DrJ

I assume no bootnecks on bombers as silently sailing round the Atlantic at 4kt isn’t exactly playing to their skill set. Attack boats might be different as insertion of SF teams is something they do.

gobuchul
    Free Member

There are no Marines onboard the big boats.

However, they would have a weapons locker and a lot more crew to choose from than a couple of sonar operators.

Why would you send 3 unarmed crew members to deal with a murderous spy, when you could send a dozen sailors armed with SA80’s?

johndoh
    Free Member

LOL at how many folk say they hated it but still managed to watch from beginning to end 🙂

I only watched it because my wife had it on.

tthew

Is that a fact about powerful rifles housed on board submarines? Surely there’s as much risk of them shooting something critical to the function of the boat as a sailor intent on mischief.

Actually, there was that incident in Portsmouth on a sub a few years ago, but I can’t remember if the gun was already there or brought with the shooter.

gobuchul
    Free Member

the gun was already there or brought with the shooter.

He had just been on gangway duty with the rifle.

It would be pretty hard to get an assault rifle through the security at Portsmouth.

masterdabber
    Free Member

I think it fell into the category that it was so bad, it was quite entertaining. I confess to watching it and it gave me quite a few good laughs.

onehundredthidiot

Would you not just lower the propellant load? Given that ranges of engagement would be low?

DrJ

“I only watched it because…” 🙂

blokeuptheroad

Would you not just lower the propellant load? Given that ranges of engagement would be low?

Not that simple unfortunately. Modern military firearms either use a proportion of the propellant gas or the recoil impulse to function. In either case reducing the propellant would cause cycling malfunctions. You’d be on a hiding to nothing too, as reducing the kinetic energy of a bullet to point where it wouldn’t damage equipment would mean it is wasn’t very effective at neutralising a pyscho Russian spy, or similarly unlikely ne’r do wells!

franksinatra

Recent BBC costume dramas that are much, much better:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m00059m9/gentleman-jack

I didn’t like that series, the lead character had a massive nose.

DrJ

I didn’t like that series, the lead character had a massive nose.

Good point (see what I did there?). Perhaps the Radio Times should give nose information for the cast in dramas, so we can see if we are likely to enjoy them?

scuttler

Pinocchio – **** shit. 1*

Viewing 24 posts - 201 through 224 (of 224 total)

The topic ‘Vigil, TV drama’ is closed to new replies.