Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 224 total)
  • Vigil, TV drama
  • johndoh
    Free Member

I would have thought illuminating your own face is a really bad idea when you’re peering into dark murky waters…

I say exactly the same all the time when films do this. See also Prometheus. Alien Covenant etc too.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

any chance we can go back to slagging off the show instead of each other please?

It’s utter drivel, pretty much every BBC drama loses the plot and descends into badly written absurd nonsense that sharply takes a turn from anything resembling reality, this usually happens in the final third of the series so it’s quite impressive that Vigil managed this in the first episode.

gobuchul
    Free Member

but it sounds like there are some people on this thread with proper Navy / diving / sub experience, so want to ask a question: do divers ever actually wear stuff like this in real life?

No.

It’s a rip off of the Kirby Morgan helmets used in The Abyss. James Cameron got them made so you could see the actors faces.

https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/the-abyss-dive-helmets-and-gear.243009/

Besides, if that was a real dive hat, she would of had a significant chance of CO2 build up and she wouldn’t of been moving her head as easily on the surface, it would weigh nearly 30 pounds.

scuttler

If they spray bleach through the entire area, then presumably you’d still have to vent the area to get the chlorine out of the air.

Pay attention at the back – Engineering Geezer Second Class on Vigil said he’d be able to do rig the fire suppression and venting to do that but for whatever reason they just opted for a spray bottle and a nice shower.

erictwinge
    Free Member

Enjoying it, but LOL’d at that bit

Captain being startled by the sudden appearance of an oil tanker.

Pierre

Great answer, thanks @gobuchul!

retro83
    Free Member

scuttler

Pay attention at the back – Engineering Geezer Second Class on Vigil said he’d be able to do rig the fire suppression and venting to do that but for whatever reason they just opted for a spray bottle and a nice shower.

Ah thanks scuttler

derek_starship
    Free Member

Loved the way Amy contained the (sinisterly gassing off) tin of neurotoxin in a single polythene bag of similar grammage to those proffered by the offy at the top of our street.

Surely Trident subs have a SOP for disposing of secreted Sarin…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Surely Trident subs have a SOP for disposing of secreted Sarin

I wouldn’t think so.

IHN

Captain being startled by the sudden appearance of an oil tanker.

Thinking about this, the fella that got told off cos he was supposed to be listening out for oil tankers was the baddie fella who replaced Leading Seaman Steve Arnott, who would otherwise, one would assume, have been listening for oil tankers more effectively if he hadn’t been inconveniently poisoned. So, maybe the implication that he wasn’t very good at the basics of his job was an early clue that there was something not quite right about baddie fella.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Nobeer – that was a tongue-in-cheek remark hence the ellipsis.

scuttler

Jonesy definitely my choice for listening for oil tankers as well as revolutionary new propulsion systems and adversary subs doing random u-turns…

Class film.

johndoh
    Free Member

Similarly, would they have an SOP to allow a civilian to be allowed to lead in a disaster recovery situation ahead of the obviously much more highly trained submariners. I’d like to say it’s all enjoyable bollocks but unfortunately it’s just bollocks.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I bet you lot simply adored Hunt for the Red October

nickc

One Ping Only

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I bet you lot simply adored Hunt for the Red October

Especially Connery’s fine Russian accent.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Similarly, would they have an SOP to allow a civilian to be allowed to lead in a disaster recovery situation ahead of the obviously much more highly trained submariners

She didn’t.

She was going to investigate the crime scene before the evidence would be destroyed by the bleach spray.

richmars

Meanwhile, last night on the Channel 5 program about a real nuclear sub, they had a much more serious emergency: the heads were blocked.

Houns

I take it we’re just to assume that Russia would attack any navy ship/boat in international waters in peacetime, and that the RN have no surface vessels that could’ve made way to the area already.

So how do we all reckon she’s going to get out of the tube in time?

derek_starship
    Free Member

One huge sneeze’ll shift ‘er.

johndoh
    Free Member

She was going to investigate the crime scene before the evidence would be destroyed by the bleach spray.

Ahh okay, I was clearly bored stupid not concentrating by that point.

thepurist

As I said up there, flooding tubes is fairly noisy so one of the sonar ops could hear it and hey presto, one soggy detective is dragged out in the nick of time. Or in Vigil world, she takes a deep breath, clambers out as the outer door opens and (despite the sub cruising at many knots) swims to the conning tower where she opens the outer hatch and gets let back in. Oh and while she’s out in the sea she spots a Russian sub behind Vigil.

scuttler

Able Rating Random Lady knows morse code remember.

IHN

One huge sneeze’ll shift ‘er.

Fair play, I’ll give you that one.

scuttler

sub, they had a much more serious emergency: the heads were blocked.

Bleach spray you see! Authentic.

benpinnick

Isn’t coxon with dragon tattoo still alive? Presumably he’ll mutter something about the villain and they’ll all come running. Im guessing the XO will be the unlikely hero who runs into the contaminated area with no hazmat.

llama

Line of Boaty

abingham

I have a fiver on Silva being a mermaid. I’m coming into the last episode confident.

squirrelking
    Free Member

There is actually a trash disposal system if you could fit it in, everything gets bundled into a small cannister and fired at the sea bed.

IHN

everything gets bundled into a small cannistertorpedo tube and fired at the sea bedRussian sub.

lovewookie

Line of Boaty

tea spilled.
    🙂

schrickvr6
    Free Member

tea spilled.

Not to be confused with Line of Booty…..

TiRed

Watched the last episode (that was enought) after the first C5 submarine episode. I thought it was terrible. And the actors are clearly too thin to be submariners.

squirrelking
    Free Member

coxon

Coxn or coxswain if you please.

oceanskipper

Coxn

Cox’n actually. 😉

MadBillMcMad

Have we done…. Is the line about morse code an in joke for Evans?

masterdabber
    Free Member

It’s so crappy that it sort of becomes compulsive viewing to see how much worse it can get.

singletrackmind

In the opening credits the torpedo is spinning az it exits the tube
    I thoight it was a blast of compressed air to get them out, then the on board peroxide motor takes ovet. Witj fins to keep them stable

tonyd

I think the opening credits show a trident missile being launched, not a torpedo. I guess they spin when launched.

peajay

Haven’t been paying much attention to it, but why have a nuclear launch drill while in the middle of an onboard situation, and why not just surface to be greeted by a flotilla of friendly surface vessels?
    And it has to be the roomiest sub in the fleet!
    Just been catching it in the passing.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 224 total)

The topic ‘Vigil, TV drama’ is closed to new replies.