Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 224 total)
  • Vigil, TV drama
  • DrJ

They can’t be real cops. They dont solve the crime by pinning photos onto a board and staring at them for a bit. Well. Not yet, anyway.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’m not arsed about technical accuracy of uniforms, hardware, liveries etc. I just want to be entertained and VIGIL is doing that up to now. It is fiction not a documentary so bring on the holes.

Not sure if it’s the angles and lighting but I didn’t realise Suranne (Sarah) had such a hooter on her.

I think the warm and cuddly coxswain (Endeavour bloke?) will turn out to be a proper badass.

neilnevill
    Free Member

As a lover of contrived dramas with no real plot to speak of, starring surranne Jones, my wife loves it. I fully expected to hate it already but so far it’s tolerable. I’m sure it’s on borrowed time though.

IdleJon

There’s a decent not-quite-edge-of-darkness thriller in there somewhere I think,

I watched EoD again a few years ago. It was utterly ludicrous, something which escaped me as a teenager.

owenh

when was the last time you saw a character in a film having a shit?

Game of Thrones: Tywin Lanister – Didn’t end well.

Still on GOT is anyone else waiting for the detective (back on land) to say “you know nothing (Jon Snow)”.

argee

IdleJon

I watched EoD again a few years ago. It was utterly ludicrous, something which escaped me as a teenager.

At least they didn’t find the dead sun dodgers vibrator ;o)

Harry_the_Spider

^ you just made me snot-bubble. Thanks.

Caher

i quite like it. Sure, it may have a few plot holes but it’s not supposed to be a documentary and it also has to appeal to the masses.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Everyone round here is creaming themselves over it because it was filmed around Largs and the hole in the ground (Hunterston ship yard). Fun trivia, the only RN connection that yard has is that it built the sub lift for Faslane.

I was just in time to see them pootling along at periscope depth (in a Trident boat?) and the Captain being startled by the sudden appearance of an oil tanker. Righty ho.

Aye, usually they go fully up or fully down to collide with rogue sand bars/French submarines/Irish trawlers.

Typhoon class boats have swimming pools in them.

Heavy lifting there. Glorified bathtub deep enough to “swim” in if you tie yourself to the end.

when was the last time you saw a character in a film having a shit?

Lethal Weapon 3 I think.

theotherjonv

Trainspotting. It’s an integral part of the plot

And Pulp Fiction now I think of it. Actually Travolta has two shits, one of which proves fatal, and also a wee which is indirectly near fatal for Mia Wallace.

argee

It’s got absolutely no reality, but it’s a TV drama, so don’t think you’d tune in for it to be realistic, christ i’ve not seen a bedford 4 tonner in years, same with an active sea-king, or a base with so many MoD Police wandering round with SA80s, or so much going on, i won’t get into the sub or the crew much either, but it’s all about drama and it’s been not too bad so far, seems to be a story in there, yes a bit of contrived stuff as well, but i’ll give it until the end to see.

Pieface

I haven’t watched it and never served in the armed forces. However just watching the adverts I’m wondering why the submarine is still operating with that crew whilst there’s a murder investigation. Surely the crew would be grounded (no pun intended) whilst the investigation took place 🤔

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Reasonably entertaining pile of absolute cobblers.

A lot like line of duty i guess

theotherjonv

I haven’t watched it and never served in the armed forces. However just watching the adverts I’m wondering why the submarine is still operating with that crew whilst there’s a murder investigation. Surely the crew would be grounded (no pun intended) whilst the investigation took place

That’s almost the dumbest comment possible 😉

(not meaning to be rude, honest, but the first two episodes have largely been about why the boat hasn’t just returned to base so it can be investigated)

jamesoz

Everyone round here is creaming themselves over it because it was filmed around Largs and the hole in the ground (Hunterston ship yard). Fun trivia, the only RN connection that yard has is that it built the sub lift for Faslane

Once got a lift back to the hotel by the local coppers in Largs after a reasonable amount of beer in various pubs. Didn’t help my colleague wouldn’t give his name. IIRC he had to pick up his wallet the following day.

A weird night.

One thing that made me chuckle a lot, the vast amount of extras wandering around the ‘Naval base’ like it was a Sunday afternoon at a shopping centre.

dantsw13

Well, the portrayal of RN officers as arrogant self important tossers seemed spot on from my time in a Navy Mess, so I assumed it must all be as accurate 😎

seadog101

Oh dear, as Ex-RN I was looking forward to this when I’m back home.

I can allow oddities like a Civilian Police officer investigating, for the purposes of plot. But, if simple routine stuff, like uniforms and the cramped conditions of a boat, can’t be done right it’s a no-go from me.

You hear of painstaking research in period dramas about the correct clothes, wallpaper and locations, so why not modern day stuff?

Yellow ‘RN’ Seaking? What were they thinking?

Spin
    Free Member

You hear of painstaking research in period dramas about the correct clothes, wallpaper and locations, so why not modern day stuff?

I suspect the historical stuff might actually be easier to get right. It’s certainly less likely to be spotted by the self appointed technogeeks of STW.

Yellow ‘RN’ Seaking? What were they thinking?

That probably came down to budget/availability. Maybe the right kind of ‘copter wasn’t available or they couldn’t afford it having blown the budget on some big hitter actors?

Harry_the_Spider

That could be inaccurate too, but there’s nobody about with first hand knowledge to comment on it.

Anyway, I think the Mr Cuddles the Coxswain is a wrong ‘un too.

Was that Sea King real or CGI? If it was CGI then getting it wrong was a bit of a silly mistake.

onehundredthidiot

It’s quite good brain off entertainment.

I’ve given up wondering where all the driving is to/from there’s not that much open moorland countryside between “sub” bases and civilization. It’s a fair old humpf to nowhere to be on the other side of water looking across at the base.

Kryton57

It’s quite good brain off entertainment.

I’ve skipped reading the second page as I watched the first episode last night, and it’s this for me. I watch these programs very much at face value so found it entertaining. Hopefully there’s more Steve Arnot.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Hang around a navy base long enough you will spot a Merlin? soon enough. Saw them frequently in Helston recently. Not too tricky they fly loops.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Except a lot of the time it’s marketing guff to boost viewing

The compromises will have been to keep production costs down, they are aiming at the 80% of viewers who won’t really care

poly
    Free Member

I can allow oddities like a Civilian Police officer investigating, for the purposes of plot. But, if simple routine stuff, like uniforms and the cramped conditions of a boat, can’t be done right it’s a no-go from me.

Civis will be none the wiser about uniforms, crampt conditions etc. Some probably even though a Yellow Sea King was more accurate. Nobody understands corroboration in Scots Law. But there are big holes in how people behave react and what detectives do that surely everyone struggles with. Bodyguard was the same though – it did stuff that ruined the believability for me to get 3 mins or extra drama that added nothing of value to the story.

thepurist

It’s a TV drama set on a fictional sub with a dysfunctional crew, corruption at the highest level, dark forces at work among the protesters and only two plucky cops (with issues) will be able to piece it all together. And as it’s from the team behind Line of Duty we won’t even meet the real baddie for another couple of episodes.

…and that’s Subwang! (with due deference to paterson joseph)

docrobster
    Free Member

Watched first 2 episodes last night. Never watched line of duty.
    We know nothing about submarines, helicopters or police procedures. We did wonder why it was civilian police not some internal military investigation but not enough to spoil the enjoyment.

We both thought it was great turn your brain off and get sucked in to the drama type tv.

Looking forward to the next episode.

Agree with comments above about similarities with watching casualty as a medic. This must be painful to watch if you can’t help spotting the inaccuracies in the detail.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’ve given up wondering where all the driving is to/from there’s not that much open moorland countryside between “sub” bases and civilization. It’s a fair old humpf to nowhere to be on the other side of water looking across at the base.

That’s the Brisbane Glen they filmed it on IIRC, not watched it so don’t know. It’s actually a good road for filming as you can pass through about 5 different looking places along it’s length.

Kryton57

…Line of Duty we won’t even meet the real baddie for another couple of episodes years.

Ftfy

downshep

I’m ex RN, ex Police and a tad OCD about accuracy. After a few minutes of watching me tut, mutter and slowly implode at discrepancies in EVERY F’ING THING, Mrs Shep gently pointed out it was fiction and suggested I “might want to watch something else if this is too stressful?”

“No dear, I’m FINE!!!”.

Fun guessing where they did the filming though. Plenty on the A817 Haul Rd, B833 at Mambeg and some on the old A82 near Firkin.

argee

I want to know where the car crash was filmed, they’re driving by the side of a loch and when the car goes in it sinks deeper than Loch Ness and her and the kid pop up on a stony beach in a wildnerness area!

Spin
    Free Member

I want to know where the car crash was filmed

I’m not certain the whole sequence was filmed in the same place but bits looked like Loch Lomond.

They must have been hoofing it to end up that far out though. 🙂

martinhutch

And as it’s from the team behind Line of Duty we won’t even meet the real baddie for another couple of episodes.

Shouldn’t take them as long to work out the deathbed morse code blinking.

peterno51

There’s documentary thing on Channel 5 with the real boats now.

Bit less elbow room…

Edit- ‘On board Britain’s nuclear submarine’

franksinatra

Was that Sea King real or CGI? If it was CGI then getting it wrong was a bit of a silly mistake.

Real. Historic Helicopters own it and fly it, along with loads of other interesting aircraft. They said on Facebook “all our Eagle Eyed followers: yes we know and yes we did inform the production company. HH gave them exactly what they asked for and we think she looks spectacular!”

If you like (real) subs then watch How To Command A Nuclear Submarine on Prime. Really fascinating stuff, including them hunting down and (virtually) destroying the Ardrossan- Brodick ferry.

downshep

The car crash looks like Firkin Point on Loch Lomond. Big car park for the production team, the old, largely disused, road running south to a secluded spot away from passing traffic. Ideal location. The view north from the shingle beach looks familiar.

fruitbat

Fun guessing where they did the filming though

The helicopter take off sequence (and possibly some others) was done at Cumbernauld Airport. We were walking in the area when we saw a huge amount of filming wagons and the copter.

nickc

That could be inaccurate too, but there’s nobody about with first hand knowledge to comment on it.

Seriously? What a daft thing to say.

Houns

Just come across this yesterday and binged all the episodes. As above enjoyed it for brain off tv.

The scene where they were getting drunk and having their first kiss in the pub, was that the Drovers?

TiRed

Not watched it yet, but this book was worth a read for life on a nuclear sub.

tonyd

Me and the wife are enjoying it. If I wanted complete accuracy I’d watch a documentary (and probably fall asleep).

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 224 total)

The topic ‘Vigil, TV drama’ is closed to new replies.