Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Van Hire for trip to Alps
  • rwills2
    Free Member

Considering hiring a van for a months holiday in the alps, driving from Manchester.

Can anyone recommend a decent company to go with? Europcar seems reasonable but maximum mileage is around 2500 miles and don’t know if that will be cutting it fine.

Just speculating atm, any advice is much appreciated. Flying is an option but we plan on taking our road and mtbs and camping as much as possible to save cost so a van seems a good way of carrying all the gear.

geoffj

Try some of the more local companies, they can be more accommodating for this sort of thing.

legend
    Free Member

For a month I think I’d be looking to buy something cheap, use it, sell it again.

nickjb
    Free Member

+1 for buying something. Back in the day we drove all over Europe in a £100 van. Bottom end prices have gone up since then but our current van was £1200 and has been to Scotland and the Alps a couple of times

jambalaya
    Free Member

I recently got a quote from Sixt for a weeks Van hire to UK from France and it was £500, there was another thread on a similar topic a while back and the consensus was that for a longer trip it was cheaper to buy something or just take 2 cars.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

for some out of the box thinking…
    Freight out your kit and fly, then hire something local saves driving the length of France for no good reason. You get LHD and local plates.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

There’s a company called deliveries to the alps.com

Try themr getting bikes there and fly with some hand luggage.

That’s what we considered when Easyjet lowered their bike baggage allowance thing, which they then put back up again!

rwills2
    Free Member

The ideas on getting our kit out there and just flying over to meet it sound good. Will look into the alps deliveries website now.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Van Hire for trip to Alps’ is closed to new replies.