Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Van heater matrix leak – what could happen?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

My Peugeot Boxer van has developed a bit of a leak from the heater matrix behind the dashboard. It’s not pouring out but there’s a bit of coolant on the floor inside in the morning. Coolant reservoir is down a bit but not much. The van isn’t used very much at all so I’m not too keen on spending loads getting it fixed.
    It’s not been used for 4 months and I want to do a 150 mile round trip next week, should I just take some extra coolant with me or could it go bang??

Del

take coolant with you, but bear in mind that as the system warms the leak is likely to get worse. keep the heater switched off. 🙂 have a nice trip!

StuF

My old 306 had this, it fogged up the inside of the windows on longer runs – and the usual demisting trick (turn heater up etc) made it worse.

Its a bugger to fix as you have to take the whole dash apart to get to the matrix.

must not mix steel and aluminium and water as they corrode 😕

Junkyard
    Free Member

you could try circulating a leak sealant and you may get lucky.

http://www.proppa.com/k-seal-cooling-system-repair-98-p.asp for example
    The worst that can happemn is it leaks badly and you have to switch the heater off – temp wise, in order to stop the leak – this wont be nice in winter but it is doable I advise driving in a sleeping bag with footholes to get to the pedals. Did this once from wales car started to slow after about 75 miles and would not accelearate. After stopping and faffing I realised my foot was numb and had fallen from the accelerator pedal and I could not tell.
    Enjoy the trip

sharkbait
    Free Member

I have put K seal in but not given it a good run yet, I may be lucky. Will take coolant and thick socks. May just renew the AA membership as well!

rangerbill

I used K seal in my Transporter and the old Range rover, worked in both. The Transporter still going strong 2 years on.

Cheap fix should allow you to drive with the heater on!

markenduro
    Free Member

Have you checked that it is the matrix leaking and not one of the pipes?The worst that can happen is that it leaks badly and covers your legs in scalding hot water whilst driving down the motorway. You could always bypass the matrix with a short length of pipe inside the engine bay but that would mean no heater and at this time of year that is not a good thing, especially in a van.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Well, just been on 10 mile round trip with the heating on and although the screen did mist up at first it was pretty clear at the end of the trip.
    This is the really first time it’s been run properly since the K Seal was added some time ago (did have a quick 2 mile run at theat point) and the first time it’s been run since about May.
    So, fingers crossed, it looks like the K Seal may well be doing the job 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Van heater matrix leak – what could happen?’ is closed to new replies.