Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Using a crud guard on a full sus frame (seat up/down solution at last)
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

A few months ago i was musing about sorting a bracket to mount a crud guard on a full sus as close to the wheel as possible but with the ability to move the seat up and down. As it stood mine was 210mm up the seatpost and very useless!
    The travel is 140mm so i wanted the guard 150mm above the tyre, if i did that then i could not put the seatpost down on long rocky peak downhills – GRRRRR

I contemplated many solutions including designing anew bracket, until someone mentioned mounting it on a gravity dropper. Then the idea blossomed!!

I purchased a 27.2 – 31.8mm seatpost shim and a 31.8mm qr (total cost £7)

This is what i came up with:

Seat up

Seat down

Undo 2 QRs and drop seat post, when at the bottom of the hill, seat back up and the crudguard is still as close to the wheel as possible – static at 150mm form the tyre tread! WINNER!

nowthen
    Free Member

Bloody brilliant thinking, well done!

Blower
    Free Member

Cant you just leave the seatpost up?

you should know the rules by now,seapost up,helmets off. 😉

redthunder
    Free Member

What a flaff.

J0N
    Free Member

Solution looking for a problem!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

lol at blower

htf is it a faff – 2qrs

racing_ralph
    Free Member

jon – whatever

james
    Free Member

Does the shim insert into the frame with the seatpost? Or does only the seatpost go into the frame?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Might not be enough need to justify full production and everyone having one. However, Rob has come up with an elegant and simple solution to something that he has issue with. I like it. Well done mate.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

#
    james – Member

Does the shim insert into the frame with the seatpost? Or does only the seatpost go into the frame?
    Posted 4 minutes ago # Report-Post

Seatpost goes into the frame through the shim, the shim stays put – fixes the mudguard height 🙂

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Onzadog – Member

Might not be enough need to justify full production and everyone having one. However, Rob has come up with an elegant and simple solution to something that he has issue with. I like it. Well done mate.

jon et al

nickhart
    Free Member

good effort, simple solution.
    good design is intelligence made visible (or something)

Blower
    Free Member

yep ill give the lad credit there..

racing_ralph
    Free Member

😀

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Nice work Rob.

Often wondered how I would do that if I could be bothered to use a rear gaurd.

igm

I use a SKS X-blade which I attach to the frame. Play with the mounts and you get enough height over the rear wheel. If you are really tight for space, mount the piece that attaches to the bike upside down (it unbolts).

Sorted.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

hmmm – £7 or £20?

singlespeedstu

How far does the shim go into the seat tube?

woody2000

I'd imagine the shim stays on top of the lower QR, with the other one clamping the top of the shim to stop it rotating.

Nice

Houns

Your drawer is on the piss

racing_ralph
    Free Member

#
    Explosion In a Spaghetti Factory – Member

How far does the shim go into the seat tube?
    Posted 6 minutes ago # Report-Post

Shim is the same outside diameter as the seat tube (31.8) so sits on top of that. Seat post fits inside the shim (and seatpost of course) at 27.2

The thick silver rim is the thickest bit of the shim that sists on top of the seat tube

singlespeedstu

Shim is the same outside diameter as the seat tube (31.8) so sits on top of that. Seat post fits inside the shim (and seatpost of course) at 27.2

That's all well and good but why have you got a jar of instant coffee in your kitchen?

That's worthy of a stoning on here. 😉

racing_ralph
    Free Member

cos its easy and i am not a "coffee (S)knob"

Houns

😆

al2000

I like that, is an elegant bit of thinking.

How much shim is inside the frame? That would be the only thing concerning me.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

none

racing_ralph
    Free Member

seat post is a 27.2 and teh correct size for the frame – the shim is essentially a sleeve OVER the seatpost and NOT into the seat tube. The shim is QR clamped ONTO the seatpost

carlphillips
    Free Member

i cut my rear guard at one side then just bolted it onto my seat tube. took all of 5 mins. easy.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Neat!
    Does it spin if you hit the end of the mudguard? I found you needed em pretty tight to avoid that.

Free Member

Nice solution young Robert 😉

al2000

Dur! Of course – in that case it's even nicer than i thought.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

ooOOoo – Member

Neat!
    Does it spin if you hit the end of the mudguard? I found you needed em pretty tight to avoid that.

No because top QR holds the guard in place 🙂

ooOOoo
    Free Member

IGMC

igm

Rob – Member
    hmmm – £7 or £20?

You can buy a Crud Guard, a shim and a spare QR seat clamp for £7? Well done.
    Don't get me wrong, it's a good solution if you have already bought the Crud Guard, but I didn't.

peachos
    Free Member

i like it. don't use mud guards but when i have i've found this a problem.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I am confused. You need to drop the seatpost by 210mm?

Most folk drop it 3-4", having the crudcatcher go up and down by this amount is not fatal.

That said, you've solved your problem…

singlespeedstu

Rob – Member

cos its easy and i am not a "coffee (S)knob" have no sense of hunour

IN BOLD IN CASE YOU DON'T SEE IT 😉

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

So you undo both QRs when you drop the seat post?

If thats the case, wouldn't it be easier to fashion a QR for the rear mudguard and do away with the shim? How about a shim that goes outside the seat-tube, so is clamped by the lower QR, then you wouldn't need the top QR?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

the shim means that the mudguard is ALWAYS at the most optimum height. Otherwise to do this you would have to mark the post in 2 places. This is far more simple.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

al the seat post drops by 5". the lowest that the bracket can mount is 70mm from the bottom of the post to clear the tyre at full compression, bracket is 30mm deep, so available drop height is the remaining 5"

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Using a crud guard on a full sus frame (seat up/down solution at last)’ is closed to new replies.