Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • USE Sub Anti-Dive set up
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Anyone have a set of these “forks” and can pass on some wisdom about their set up? I have the purple spring in mine (which I believe is the firm one) I’m 14st and finding the fork a bit skitty and un responsive except on the biggest hits – have tried running the air cartridge at 150 and 50 psi but I cant say which setting performs better. According to the Total Air instructions my weight of 170lbs corresponds to a pressure of 150, but I dont see how that allows for interaction with the main coil spring.

Any pointers chaps?

Stoner
    Free Member

anyone?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

no idea but whilst looking around i found a glowing review from a forum regular

Submitted by hora horacek a Weekend Warrior from Surrey, UK
    Date Reviewed: September 15, 2004
    Favorite Trail: Singletrack of Death, Morzine France
    Duration Product Used: Less than 1 month
    Strengths: Pin-point, it rails into berms, light, plush (if you get the right spring)
    Weaknesses: Obviously due to its design there is a slight flex by the hub but then again I use carbon bars so can’t complain plus you don’t notice unless you are a jump-thing. Other weakness- cost? got my cheaper!
    Similar Products Used: ***** ****, every suspension fork on the market?!
    Bike Setup: 04 Heckler, Ti-sprung, Chris King Hset, rear wheel ISO, Hayes anchors, XTR, Thomson etc
    Bottom Line: This fork bring out the smoother rider in you- you get off of the brakes more (it does lockout slightly at the front)- so I leave off of the brakes now. It rails, truely it does and with their strongest spring it will never bottom out.

Someone said “nowadays you need at least 130mm travel” Yes but what are you doing on the forks? I’ve come from 150 travel and the extra 50mm was wasted on me as I rode the bike very badly (i.e not smoothly).

I beleive the forks are improving my riding skills naturally and that has got to be a good thing.

Will post more as I ride

i’d sell them now

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers MW.

I like to think that hora tests components for the rest of us so we dont have too. 🙂

only teasing Mark….

Dibbs
    Free Member

14st is 196lbs not 170lbs (or at least it was when I went to school).

Stoner
    Free Member

good point dibbs.
    But since the ride was harsh at 150psi, then Im assuming its not going to improve at 170psi – unless the aircartridge acts as a neg air, but Im pretty sure it doesnt.

nickc

Perhaps you need a softer spring? Can you get one from USE any more?

Dibbs
    Free Member

A mate of mine had his Sub set-up by Rory at USE, and he said it was totally transformed, it may be worth giving them a ring.

Stoner
    Free Member

yep, I think I need to give them a call.

Noticed last night that their website says they have now discontinued their fork unfortunately. Maybe need to buy up some stock of parts 🙂

YoGrant
    Free Member

ring USE direct and speak to Rory. He’ll be able to talk you through set up.

terrahawk
    Free Member

It might just need a dose of grease. What are you using and how often?

Mine was awful until I started using the right stuff.

timbur
    Free Member

Mine was an ace fork. If anything I found it went through it’s travel too quickly. 14st and medium spring. tried the hard spring but found it too much.

It’s not a fork to honk out of the saddle with. Sit and spin on the ups and really enjoy full 100mm travel on the downs. It’s anti dive and negative sag work really well in my opinion.

Never noticed any flex in the fork. Not sure what Hora was talking about but there’s nothing new about that!

Tim

Stoner
    Free Member

Im using some teflon grease ATM (or at least will do no that Im back at home after riding for a month without my greasegun 🙂 Maybe it just needs shed loads of lube?

Tim – I love its anti-dive characteristics and the serviceability. Obviously the downside (until I get it set up right) ATM seems to be loss of small bump sensitivity.

How’s the job hunting going BTW?

myth
    Free Member

stoner, i might a brand new front hub for the sub fork kicking around somewhere if your interested?

Stoner
    Free Member

interested myth.
    Got a price in mind?

pullfaces
    Free Member

Stoner
    I’ve got some brand new in packet bushings for some of the bearings. They’re yours if you want them. You will need to change them at some point, I think they were to be my third pair until….
    I had a USE fork until someone sawed it in attempt to remove bike.
    Also a used red spring. I think this was the light spring and I changed to the medium but it could be the other way round. But again it’s yours if you want it.
    Stupidly I threw the fork and everything away after the vandalism.
    I thought the fork was great but needed very regular lubing. At least every 100 miles. I found the Manitou prep M by far the best and even have a bit of that too.

Stoner
    Free Member

pullfaces – that’s fantastic (and thanks for the tip on the prep M)

could you drop me an email at stw AT northmalvern dotco dotuk and Ill sort out some beer tokens and an SAE or something.

just thought though, the spring may be no use as mine is a 29er…may need to measure to see if they kept the same internals for the 29er but just changed the externals…

pullfaces
    Free Member

Stoner did you get my message.
    Sent to stw at northmalvern dot co dot uk
    if not
    I am at
    paul at facer dot plus dot com

myth
    Free Member

£20 and a bit of p+p?? I’ll have a look for it and let you know

Stoner
    Free Member

Hi myth.
    sounds good to me.
    my email address is as above in earlier post, Ill put it in my profile too.
    cheers

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘USE Sub Anti-Dive set up’ is closed to new replies.