Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Upgrading a Stumpjumper
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

Has anybody built a stumpy with big forks and generally strong kit?

I’m thinking about getting a stumpy frame as my Enduro Evo is a bit too much for my mincing. And I want to build it with my Lyriks, full SLX and strong wheels . I think it will be spot on for what I want out of a bike.

So have you beefed up a Stumpjumper?

stumpy01

If the Enduro Evo is too much bike and you are thinking of ‘beefing’ up a Stumpjumper, why not go for a Stumpjumper Evo?

Depending on how much mincing is going on, why not just stick to a normal Stumpjumper. Mine copes with everything my extremely average skills can throw at it!

grum
    Free Member

Or a non-Evo Enduro?

I beefed up my Pitch with 160mm forks and it’s an absolute beast going downhill. The forks feel miles stiffer/plusher.

What fork travel are Stumpjumpers rated for?

I_Ache
    Free Member

I’m thinking second hand frame only purchases here so the choice is pretty limited as to what I can get. I think the Stumpy Evo is probably the best thing for me but I don’t know if I can get one.

The Stumpy evo has 150mm forks so I doubt putting my 160mm Lyriks on will make much difference. The Evo also have the same main frame as the normal stumpy but with a different shock and I think rocker.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I run mine with 160mm Pikes (with travel adjust), Easton Havens and so on. 60mm stem (started with a 50 but it was too small) and 785mm bars (which I will one day trim to 760/750). It’s very nice, it’s the Evo version and is very capable. I’ve done a trip to the Pyrenees on it, taken it up big mountains and it’s taken it all in its stride. Previously I would have gone for an Enduro but this is 26lbs and everything downhill just about as well but makes life a lot easier going up and handles “normal” trails a lot better.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Now thats what I wanted to hear. 26lbs is bloody light is yours carbon? My Enduro is around 35lbs and I am hoping to get down to under 30lbs with the frame swap and a couple of other things.

Are your Pikes DPA? Do you find it makes much difference when climbing?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Yes, carbon frame with carbon cranks, Havens, Zee shifter and mech, Hans Dampfs, SLR saddle, Race Face Turbine bits and XT brakes.

I got the travel adjust model because I will be using it for XC racing so needed to drop the front. I use it on almost every climb- at 160mm the size large is quite tall (they have massive headtubes) up front and the lower front helps me out.

Tracey

Kevin has a S Works which he ran with Lyriks for a while and then fitted the E160 forks to it. Had 5.1 DT Swiss rims on Hope hubs but now has American Classic AM wheels Rest is XT with some carbon bars. He took it to the Alps last year and loved it so much that he gave Abigale his Enduro. I think he rides the bike better than he did his Enduro. It is light but haven’t weighed it. Had no problems with the longer forks on it

Original build

Verbier

Last weekend

Euro
    Free Member

I beefed up my Pitch with 160mm forks and it’s an absolute beast going downhill.

A mate of mine stuck some Totems on his and created trail blazing juggernaut. Looks mean as, too 😀

I picked up my second hand stumpy evo last year. Changed the bars, stem and pedals from the off and then rode it on all manor of trails. The only thing that i felt needed upgrading (bars and that were more a swap) from the stock bike were the forks but since you’ve got some lyrics, you’re covered.

renton
    Free Member

I fitted a normal stumpy out with 150mm forks and beefy wheels etc and it was great. I regret selling it to be honest…..

munrobiker
    Free Member

If we’re doing photos-

I_Ache
    Free Member

Tracey, how does he get along with the brain for more DH riding? I am nervous about them and am unsure if I like the idea.

Renton, just out of interest how much did you sell the frame for?

renton
    Free Member

I sold the full bike for £1250

I didnt really get on with the brain shock on it to be honest although i know people that love them.

If i had kept the bike i would of swapped it out for a different shock.

grum
    Free Member

A mate of mine stuck some Totems on his and created trail blazing juggernaut. Looks mean as, too

POIDH. 🙂

Tracey

No problems with the brain. It does what its supposed to do on the ups and is great on the downhills. If he had thought the Enduro was better for him in the Alps he would have kept it for himself for this years trip. He has a shorter stem in the garage to go from 70mm to 45mm once he gets round to fitting it.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Munro…that looks lovely!

Andy, can’t you just buy that one? 😆

kudos100
    Free Member

I’d go for a stumpy evo if you can find one. The head angle is slacker and the BB is lower.

That said I’m sure the normal stumpy would work well beefed up.

My evo had Flows, 1×10, wider bars, shorter stem and zee brakes. Only thing I would like is a slightly bigger fork. Great for xc rides and also a bit of DH.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I would love a carbon Evo but unfortunately I don’t quite have enough money for one. Maybe if I dig down the back of the sofa I might be able to scrape the cash together.

porter_jamie

anyone interested in something like this. allows you to run any normal shock including CCDB etc. i have an RP2 lined up for my brothers stumpy, just waiting for us to make the adaptor.

the second pic is an example off something else we made.
    i get an email every month or so from people asking if i’ve made any but we have been so busy we have not. however, we just cleared the decks and we are looking at a slightly different design which will be a bit easier to make (ie cheaper) and if say 10 plus people wanted one then it would be much cheaper (lots less setup time and programming per part)

the new design will probably look like the lapierre 927 one

I_Ache
    Free Member

I was actually thinking about having one made for my Enduro so I could run a normal air shock on it.

How much would that cost for a stumpy?

porter_jamie

i will do some work later and come up with a cost including anodising

cnud
    Free Member

porter_jamie yes please, put my name down.

J273
    Free Member

I’d be interested too Jamie

tomaso
    Free Member

I ran my Stumpjumper with 160 Lyriks and 150 Revs – both of which were good. Lyriks add a certain unburstable nature to descending and the Revs were very light. 160mm is also not the best for steep technical climbing unless they can be dropped with dual position of u-turn – but thats just me and perhaps what I like to ride.

However, 140mm Marzocchi 44 RC3 Ti were much much better in everyway. Bigger is not always better.

One other mod is to buy an Evo shock as these have shorter length and longer stroke – we are talking a couple of mm – but it makes a difference to travel and geometry with more bounce and slackness. You also get an RP23 instead of a Triad or whatever.

Not sure how strong you mean by strong but Mavic 521s, 10mm bolt up rear, SLX double and dual ply tyres was good for smashing Lakeland terrain. But it is more flexible than bigger bikes like a Pitch.

Oh and it wasn’t really that light at 32-33lbs

I wouldn’t of had a reason to change bikes if it hadn’t been nicked…

NormalMan

As a bit of a Spesh fs fan, I’m loving the pics in this thread.

@ Tracey – I’m always jealous of your Spesh family set up! Puts ours to shame! 😳

sbd16v
    Free Member

right if were being photo whores im in 😉

it weight’s 26.69 lb

Scamper
    Free Member

Always fancied going the other way with my 09 Stumpy when I found out the frame was only 5.5 lbs, so 25lbs easily enough with a light build.

I_Ache
    Free Member

With all these pics I’m struggling not to put my Enduro Evo on ebay to get it gone asap. I have some serious need for a stumpy now!

tymbian
    Free Member

Why are the enduro builds so much heavier than the stumpys, its only the weight difference of the frame surely?

sbd16v
    Free Member

its amazing how fast the weight can build if you don’t keep an eye on it, my epic was 30lb once I finished with it making it ”all mountain” sold it and built the stumpy keeping an eye on weight ended up with 26lb.

J273
    Free Member

@SBD16V Love that fella – How are the arch Ex’s? Building a stumpy myself and undecided on arch or flows which i have on my current bike.

JCL
    Free Member

You REALLY want the Stumpy Evo. Unless you can get hold of the Evo clevis for the standard Stumpy in the UK?

renton
    Free Member

if we are posting pics then …………….

These are the 3 stumpies i have owned

Tomaso should recognize this next one….

Rickos
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2011 Stumpy Evo and it’s brilliant. I’d highly recommend an Evo if you can find a second hand one as a frame only. Bikescene sometimes have new US versions (just a different colour) at good rates.

And as we’re photo whoring…

Evo in the woods by Rick T., on Flickr

Euro
    Free Member

Red and black pic atak!

sbd16v
    Free Member

@j273 thanks :D, wheels are fine in nearly 3 years I have not put a spoke key to them, BUT there not ex’s there the older version(my stickers were **** and i liked the new graphics lol) so i can only guess than the ex’s would be even better. (i weigh 90kgs)

AndyA
    Free Member

Standard stumpjumper frame with 36’s lowered to 140mm. Wide bars, short stem, chainguide etc.(not pictured)
    Great bike. Over the years i’ve had longer travel, beefier bikes and the stumpy is every bit as capable, but more versatile and alot easier for longer days out.

porter_jamie

this is it.

MrNice
    Free Member

porter_jamie – put my name down for one of those rockers (or whatever I should call it), I’ve looked for such a thing in the past but not found anyone making them. hopefully you’re now getting enough interest for it to be economic…

porter_jamie

yeah, i can’t think of a decent name for it. stumpy cunning magic orientated damper system, or scmods perhaps?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Upgrading a Stumpjumper’ is closed to new replies.