Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Unicycles.
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Thinking of getting one for our son, obviously I’ll be having a go too. Anybody got any advice?

thecaptain
    Free Member

Smaller wheels are easier to start with, I got a 24″ and it took a while. The cheap ones from unicycle.com are fine. Wear tough gloves!

pfweller
    Free Member

One of the important things is to lose the fear of leading forward – you almost want to try and get to the point where you are about to fall forward, and you then pedal quickly to get the front wheel back under you. (Repeat ad nauseam!)

I learned to ride by going up and down a fence and only grabbing on when I was about to fall, which worked really well – wasn’t long before I started doing the newspaper round on the unicycle.

larkim
    Free Member

So long as your son’s not a quitter, its a great buy. We got a cheap one as an “off the wall” present for our son when he was 9 or 10 I think from unicycles.com I think. He had it nailed in about 2 months, and then bought himself an off-road, bigger wheel’d version.

antigee
    stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I never thought there’d be another thread on this. It’s mostly for my son, he’s looking for a hobby and having just taught himself to juggle I though the unicycle might be a nice challenge for him. And it would be a fun thing to do together.

cooie
    letmetalktomark

^^ Bonkers 😯 😆

I can feel my knees burning just watching that!

nach
    Free Member

You’ll be nailing these level 10’s in no time:
    http://www.unicycletoday.com/skill-levels.html

aracer
    Free Member

Nothing much to add to what I wrote on the last thread. Though looking at that KH video, whilst I won’t ever do a lot of the madder stuff, after 3 years riding I could do some of the simpler bits – amazing to look back and think that I’d have thought even what I can now do to be totally mad when seeing it in a vid.

Aspire to level 11 unicycling 😉

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

We have a portable pump track which we take to schools and I thought it might be a fun addition just to entertain the kids that aren’t on the track and something else for them to have go with.

antigee

We have a portable pump track which we take to schools and I thought it might be a fun addition just to entertain the kids that aren’t on the track and something else for them to have go with.

used to be a Beaver (ooh err!)Scout Leader and one of the local groups had invested in half a dozen unicycles and some other “circus” kit and took it along as an activity at District events – went down very well with some young people already able and able to teach others and other just having a go – all very positive

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Unicycles.’ is closed to new replies.